Streamin Woes.....

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Recently had the interenet install and it should be 14mbps. Having problems streaming Lovefilm it keeps buffering. Lovefilm website states only 2mbps required for good streaming. What am I doing wrong?

John Duncan

Soopafly49 said:
Recently had the interenet install and it should be 14mbps. Having problems streaming Lovefilm it keeps buffering. Lovefilm website states only 2mbps required for good streaming. What am I doing wrong?

Lovefilm lies. I have 10 meg broadband and HD content struggles. SD on lovefilm was OK while I had it. Is whatever is picking up lovefilm wired or wireless?

michael hoy

simonlewis said:
Soopafly49 said:
it came up with 4.6 something mbps

Mine says 86.112.44.60 whatever that means, i don't understand it either. ???

Simon,

That is your IP address when connected to the Internet.

7121952283_d915137efa_o.jpg

This is the part you need to look at, download is how fast you connect / can download information and the upload is the speed you can move / copy things up to the web.

Ping is the time taken to send a packet and receive it back, the lower the figure the faster the response time.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Done it again, download speed is definatey 4.46. upload speed is 0.72 and ping is 35. Its bareley even a third of what I should be getting. Is there anyway I can improve this?

michael hoy

Try powering of your modem / Router, wait for about 20 sec the power back on.

Give it a few minutes to settle down and the run the speedtest again.

How long have you had the current broadband installed and what is the make of your modem.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Try powering of your modem / Router, wait for about 20 sec the power back on.

Give it a few minutes to settle down and the run the speedtest again.

How long have you had the current broadband installed and what is the make of your modem.

Tried that but ill run it again just to be sure. The make is speed touch came free when i got the internet and had it for about a month ish

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
did it again twice the first ping went up to 45 then down to 39 the dowload speed went down to 2.11 then .0.17 while upload is now 0.60 it just gets worse

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I was looking at the performance of my newly installed Vrigin broadband (100mbps) and on speedtest.net it was giving me about 20-25mbps. I caled up Virgin and they did a test using their own speedtest facility and this 'confirmed' that I was getting around the 100mbps that I should. Now I was somewhat sceptical about why Virgin's own test should give me exactly the right result, whereas speedtest.net - which is surely a viable test of 'real-world' performance - is telling me that I'm only getting 1/4 of what I should be.

So I looked at Virgin's support pages and they provide this method of manually testing your download speed by downloading files from their servers. I did this and found that I was actually getting 90+mbps. I can't see how this could be anything other than an accurate and valid test, so I guess it proves that speedtest.net and similar speedtests aren't necessarily an accurate representation of real-world performance.

http://www.virginmedia.com/testmyspeed/manual.php

Worth doing this or something similar I'd say.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Dan Turner said:
I was looking at the performance of my newly installed Vrigin broadband (100mbps) and on speedtest.net it was giving me about 20-25mbps. I caled up Virgin and they did a test using their own speedtest facility and this 'confirmed' that I was getting around the 100mbps that I should. Now I was somewhat sceptical about why Virgin's own test should give me exactly the right result, whereas speedtest.net - which is surely a viable test of 'real-world' performance - is telling me that I'm only getting 1/4 of what I should be.

So I looked at Virgin's support pages and they provide this method of manually testing your download speed by downloading files from their servers. I did this and found that I was actually getting 90+mbps. I can't see how this could be anything other than an accurate and valid test, so I guess it proves that speedtest.net and similar speedtests aren't necessarily an accurate representation of real-world performance.

http://www.virginmedia.com/testmyspeed/manual.php

This sounds like a good test but either way the internet connection is **** because I'm strugling to stream and even normal internet is slow.

Worth doing this or something similar I'd say.

michael hoy

Just to clarify:-

1. The PC / Laptop you are using for the speed test is hard wired to the router.

2. Is the modem / router connected to the master telephone socket or is it connected to an extension.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Just to clarify:-

1. The PC / Laptop you are using for the speed test is hard wired to the router.

2. Is the modem / router connected to the master telephone socket or is it connected to an extension.

Hard wired to laptop. No its first plugged into this filter they sent me which they said i needed to plug in first, apart from that its in the telephone socket

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Last night attempted to stream lovefilm throught the laptop and while it was out of sinc a a few times which i think is down to the very slow laptop I am using there was no buffering which leads me to believe that it is a problem with the blue ray player and not the internet connection. Anyone else have similar problems or just know the answer to mine?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts