Streamers.

nads

Been looking and it seems that there is very little out there that interests me.

looking for a streamer that has a screen. Has analog and digital out and is preferably full size.

they all seem to be something else as well Or don’t have a screen. Or the onboard DAC could be better…..

still trying to find a reason to replace my Squeezebox Touch.

Reactions: atomtrgg

Gray

looking for a streamer that has a screen. Has analog and digital out and is preferably full size.
The CXN recommended above meets all your requirements (at a price).
I've had an eye on it since version 1 came out 7 years ago. Truth is though, for its 800 quid, it wouldn't do much more for me than my RPi/ Volumio - same situation with you and your Squeezebox I would imagine.

It certainly does.
(Richer want £800 from V.I.P.'s - a Richer V.I.P. is anyone that breathes - with money)

On the same CXN search result, there's another company selling for £335.58.
Another strange price....more fishy than Billingsgate.
It certainly does.
(Richer want £800 from V.I.P.'s - a Richer V.I.P. is anyone that breathes - with money)

On the same CXN search result, there's another company selling for £335.58.
Another strange price....more fishy than Billingsgate.
For our foreign readers I should point out that Billingsgate is a famous London fish market...

Tinman1952

I've had many streamer solutions over the years...from the first Squeezebox to a Yamaha WXC-50, Bluesound Node 2 and even a £1200 Cambridge Audio 851N. They all had limitations...
Now I use an iPad on a stand next to my armchair (lazy I know...) into my DAC via a long cable hidden behind my settee. Connects via WiFi to my music server or streaming services. Perfect sound quality and a 10 inch touch screen to boot! Happy days....🙂

Last edited:

Gray

I suppose it's two-fold in that it's in grey and the company is 'just' an e-commerce company although the latter shouldn't be a neg really.
Two different, ultra- low prices from two different sites. When you read the 'about' details they're the same - they could just be a cut and paste copy of each other....but I think they had the same address too.
Something dodgy there.
If it sounds too good to be true......

Reactions: Al ears
FWIW my first streamer was a Squeezebox Touch and I too thought a screen was essential. I disproved that when I upgraded to a Linn Sneaky DSM. That’s also very good and yet discontinued, but it’s all controlled from my iPad so a screen across the room is pointless.

You’re limiting your choice by worrying about a screen, as it simply isn’t necessary. And with some brands like Naim, they seem to fade.

Gray

Different addresses, but both have the phone number as a mobile. That sets off an alarm bell the size of Big Ben.
...for the benefit of non-UK readers, perhaps we should explain that Big Ben......maybe not 🙂

(Highlight for me was standing a couple of feet from it as the hammer struck the hour - of course, during the strikes, I had to remove an earplug, because that's the sort of idiot I am o_O).

Last edited:

JonRA

Jul 3, 2022
Visit site
I've had many streamer solutions over the years...from the first Squeezebox to a Yamaha WXC-50 and even a £1200 Cambridge Audio 851N. They all had limitations...
Now I use an iPad on a stand next to my armchair (lazy I know...) into my DAC via a long cable hidden behind my settee. Connects via WiFi to my music server or streaming services. Perfect sound quality and a 10 inch touch screen to boot! Happy days....🙂

That's interesting - I tried that with my phone plugged into a Hip Dac 2 plugged into my amp via RCA phono leads - it worked pretty well but before the phono leads arrived I had already ordered my first streamer (impatient!) I ordered an Echo Link and as a basic connection, I am very pleased with it (and now have a redundant lead!)

robdmarsh

I had a wxc-50, it was ****. It didn't support Amazon music and bluetooth was unusable. I've got a Node 2021 - it's also a bit **** to be honest. It sounds dead, and if you want to add a DAC then you're getting into a silly money. Do yourselves a favour and get over your bluetooth prejudice and just get a Zen blue bluetoooth receiver. I doubt if many of you, with your hands on your heart, would really be able to tell that it's compressed vs real hi-res. The sound is better than the Node 2021. It also costs a lot less than a CXN v2. Ok, so no screen... and you can hear when you get a notification. No biggie imo.

(Please don't swear on the site, it's against forum rules. A four-letter word with the middle two asterisked-out is hardly disguised. Thanks.)

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts