Streamer League Table

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tino said:
I think all the table shows what we pretty much already know, in that the higher up the food chain you go the less value for money you get, so it really only makes sense to compare streamers of similar levels of audio quality, then it's probably a case of looking at features etc. or whatever sounds good to you / floats your boat. Featurewise, the Sneaky has a built in 20W amplifier which would add £200-£300 or so on to any other device's price.

It also shows how far the Cyrus Stream XP goes up the table with its better power supply
(110-125)....that's a big jump.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Here is my (just for fun) alternative table of forum member default recommendations:

CnoEvil Sneaky DSThe Record Sport Onkyo 8050Nads Squeezebox Touch (without a DAC)Lindsay T Analogue streaming off some Direct Drive turntable from the 70s/80sEveryone else Marantz NA7004/CR603

:p

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
amcluesent said:
>The German magazine "Audio"...<

Is Linn a big spender on pages of adverts by any chance... :?
Typical response :) , you could say that about any magazine! So it isn't WHF, and isn't English, does that mean it takes backhanders?? Linn also happen to make good products - can't afford them myself, but I'm not going to doubt their quality.

tino, the list shows you get what you pay for, plus reveals some bargains. Everything on that list is good VFM, mate, if you have the income. If you want the best, 9 times out of 10 you have to pay for it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tino said:
Here is my (just for fun) alternative table of forum member default recommendations:

CnoEvil Sneaky DSThe Record Sport Onkyo 8050Nads Squeezebox Touch (without a DAC)Lindsay T Analogue streaming off some Direct Drive turntable from the 70s/80sEveryone else Marantz NA7004/CR603

:p :p :p

John Duncan

tino said:

I'm disappointed...

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

CnoEvil Sneaky DSThe Record Sport Onkyo 8050Nads Squeezebox Touch (without a DAC)Lindsay T Analogue streaming off some Direct Drive turntable from the 70s/80sEveryone else Marantz NA7004/CR603John Duncan Naim Uniti ... or ... TBD ... or ... Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 ?????? ;)

John Duncan

tino said:

CnoEvil Sneaky DSThe Record Sport Onkyo 8050Nads Squeezebox Touch (without a DAC)Lindsay T Analogue streaming off some Direct Drive turntable from the 70s/80sEveryone else Marantz NA7004/CR603John Duncan Naim Uniti ... or ... TBD ... or ... Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 ?????? ;)

You forgot Airport Express and Squeezebox and Linn Majik DS...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:

And me?!?! :cheers:

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
:shifty:
CnoEvil Sneaky DS The Record Sport Onkyo 8050 Nads Squeezebox Touch (without a DAC) Lindsay T Analogue streaming off some Direct Drive turntable from the 70s/80s Everyone else Marantz NA7004/CR603 John Duncan Naim Uniti ... or ... TBD ... or ... Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 ?????? Acalex Squeezebox Touch → Linn Akurate → Pathos Musiteca → Linn Klimax DS → $$$$ → Bankruptcy Andrew Everard No recommendation .. outside forum rules Heretics Anon. AVI 9.1 and a Mac Mini
:cheer:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tino said:
CnoEvil Sneaky DS The Record Sport Onkyo 8050 Nads Squeezebox Touch (without a DAC) Lindsay T Analogue streaming off some Direct Drive turntable from the 70s/80s Everyone else Marantz NA7004/CR603 John Duncan Naim Uniti ... or ... TBD ... or ... Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 ?????? Acalex Squeezebox Touch → Linn Akurate → Pathos Musiteca → Linn Klimax DS → $$$$ → Bankruptcy Andrew Everard No recommendation .. outside forum rules Heretics Anon. AVI 9.1 and a Mac Mini

Huh!

Where's the exclusivity gone. :roll:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:

Ahahaha...don't think I would spend 11k for the Klimax tough :D

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
tino said:

:rofl: Excellent!

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Are (top 5) these streamers really that awesome that it will totally sound out-of-this-world from systems under 1k, such as the Cambridge Audio NP30, Mazantz, Yamaha, Sonoa..etc ?...I'm still in the decison of purchasing a streamer for a mid size room, but, I do find some awfully high priced for what could be artifically priced and branded !...I'm currently streaming from a NAS to my Marantz CR603 (bedroom); and am pleased with it, and can't tell the difference from the original cd transfered to FLAC then streamed to CR603. Sound is important, but will you really notice to a point where you can justify 3K plus ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

Make sure you don't listen to one then, as imo it matches a hi-end TT....would sound unbelievable through some expensive SFs. ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
satycool said:
Are (top 5) these streamers really that awesome that it will totally sound out-of-this-world from systems under 1k, such as the Cambridge Audio NP30, Mazantz, Yamaha, Sonoa..etc ?...I'm still in the decison of purchasing a streamer for a mid size room, but, I do find some awfully high priced for what could be artifically priced and branded !...I'm currently streaming from a NAS to my Marantz CR603 (bedroom); and am pleased with it, and can't tell the difference from the original cd transfered to FLAC then streamed to CR603. Sound is important, but will you really notice to a point where you can justify 3K plus ?

You are asking for someone to quantify the unquantifiable. Each streamer has to be assessed in the context of a system of comparable components....and then it's subjective as to whether the improvement is worth the money. The Law of diminishing returns kicks in....the only way you will know, is to listen for yourself.

Is a Ferrari really worth 10 family cars?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Make sure you don't listen to one then, as imo it matches a hi-end TT....would sound unbelievable through some expensive SFs. ;)

Ahhhhhhhh, stop it, you are building a monster :rofl:

I even know where I could listen to it, very nice guy here in Brussels who is a Linn dealer...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Ahhhhhhhh, stop it, you are building a monster :rofl:

I even know where I could listen to it, very nice guy here in Brussels who is a Linn dealer...

It's not as crazy as it sounds. If you combine all the money you are thinking of spending on your variety of sources (TT; Transport/Dac; CDP etc), you are probably at the cost of a Klimax DS/1...one box that does everything! Many on the Linn forum think it matches a fully loaded LP12.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts