Question Streamer for Musical Fidelity M8 Xi

Roog

May 20, 2016
Visit site
I have a NAP 300 based Naim set up and I am fed up with the task of building a Naim 'pile 'o' boxes' thing and I am looking for a powerful alternative.

I anticipate mostly listening to music from CDs stored on a NAS and from streaming services.

I am contemplating buying a big integrated amplifier to pair with my ATC SCM40 speakers and the Musical Fidelity M8 Xi might be what I am looking for, my question is, what do people use as a streaming source for such an amp?

It seems that Musical Fidelity does not sell a dedicate streamer/DAC.

rainsoothe

I have a NAP 300 based Naim set up and I am fed up with the task of building a Naim 'pile 'o' boxes' thing and I am looking for a powerful alternative.

I anticipate mostly listening to music from CDs stored on a NAS and from streaming services.

I am contemplating buying a big integrated amplifier to pair with my ATC SCM40 speakers and the Musical Fidelity M8 Xi might be what I am looking for, my question is, what do people use as a streaming source for such an amp?

It seems that Musical Fidelity does not sell a dedicate streamer/DAC.
Hi. I'd look at something like a Lumin D2 at the very least. Or Linn, Auralic (if you use iOS), that kind of stuff.

Cheers Rainsoothe, the LUMIN has to be a good call and the Auralic too! I just wonder why Musical Fidelity don’t have a streamer DAC to match their M range amps?
My thoughts for upmarket streamers tend to point to Auralic, Lumin, Linn - which I use, and Naim - which you’ve excluded.
It may help narrow the field to say which service you prefer, because if, say, you wanted Tidal MQA then you won’t get that on a Linn, for example. I use Qobuz on mine, but I still play my CDs so have no NAS.
The interface is a key point too, which you need to see in person ideally. Some apps are only on Android and others only iOS.

I’ve read great reviews of the MF amps, but don’t overlook the British made ATC SIA2-150 mk2 at £3,625 as it’s a great match. It also gets a 6 year transferable warranty like the speakers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

Cheers Rainsoothe, the LUMIN has to be a good call and the Auralic too! I just wonder why Musical Fidelity don’t have a streamer DAC to match their M range amps?

Tech is moving so fast and some companies can’t keep pace or they don’t have the required on site experts for the software coding and/or leave it to the experts such as acrylic or similar, there basically computers and require a certain knowledge base.

Speaking of computers some will argue that a computer will do a better job and will be cheaper.

I truthfully struggle to the hear any differences between deadicated streamers and a Mac mini with the correct software. Roon or similar. That’s my experience anyhow.

A Mac will also double up as a full on entertainment Center, Apple TV for example

Streamers are hard products to recommend spending large amounts of money on at this moment in time as mentioned earlier the tech is moving so fast.

just my experience is all.

Do come back at some point though and let us know what you think of music fidelity, its a product I have firm eye on for the future.

Roog

May 20, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestions, to clarify I mainly use Tidal, but it would be nice to have the flexibility to access via , Tidal Connect , decode Tidal MQA, Qobuz and roon compatibility would be good, but this is just a wish list and I appreciate it might not all be posible.

I don't rule out Naim Streamers, indeed the NDX2 comes close to matching my wish list, I just have an aversion to Naims Pre amp topology which I find clunky, too many boxes and cables, too much rack space and too expensive.

Noting that Music Fidelity have a good line up of integrated amps I wondered what people were using with them for streaming?

Oldfart

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
Hi Roog,
I only have experience of one streamer, the TEAC nt 505, which is a budget version of big brother Esoteric, shares the app with them and Lumin. Having upgraded my amp and speakers, I expected the TEAC to be outclassed, but compares very well to my SACD player and the balanced XLR a bonus to my ears. Does the full MQA unfold and equipped with dual 44.1 and 48 clocks, accurately delivers the various MQA unfolds upto 24/352.8 and the more common 24/96 and 192. I’m currently trying QoBuZ and that sounds superb too. It would be churlish to suggest that pricier streamers are a waste of money, but suspect differences might be small As a Tidal subscriber, full MQA offers a step up SQ wise, despite all the detractors who will tell you otherwise. Not better than QoBuZ, hi res though.
Edit to add. No Wi-fi which might be a deal breaker. Also the Luxman sounds very good with Dali Epicons. No experience of ATCs

Last edited:

Lkluemper00

Apr 12, 2021
Visit site
I found a musical fidelity m8 encore 500 for $2500 few months ago. It works great. Has tidal spotify qobuz built into it using Logitech squeezebox software. It's relatively easy to use as well. I know I lucked out finding this behemoth but this may be what you want. It has digital inputs. Streamer built in and a decent dac. It has 2 tb storage for CDs and with 500 watts per channel at 8 ohms it can drive anything. Good luck with your future purchase in an integrated. They discontinued this model, but I believe if you can find one for cheaper than an m8xi. You may want to check one out.

TRENDING THREADS