Stream Magic 6 - is it really ?

Crumbs, John, that's a poor show. As it happens, I've been buying Autocar since I was ten (yes, 10) but often found the forum pretty naff. Maybe WHF and Gramophone should merge fora, as theirs could do with a bit of excitement!

clerics

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Finally ! I think I am cooking !

The question was what are the best alternatives at the same price mark as the Stream Magic

i have an ND5XS in my home system so do not expect the Stream to get anywhere near that in my office / work

John Duncan

Well, as luck would have it I had both the SM6 and an ND5XS in the house together for a couple of weeks. I found the Naim a little bit better sounding, but would find it extremely hard to justfiy the additional expense unless I absolutely needed:

- the undeniably better build quality;

- to match other Naim components;

- the better display, or;

- the arguably slicker iPad app.

clerics

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
See signature which has now gloriously appeared on my question less post !

The Stream would go with the little known but excellent Astin Trew

My ND5XS sits in the Naim system

Correct the iPad n stream app is great and I can play hi res files which I accept I won't with Magic

John Duncan

Not true - I'd have to check the exact specs because I think it differs between wireless, wired and USB but I can certainly play 24/96 over wireless.

Seen your sig now, thanks, and I don't think the SM6 would be out of place, but since you have the Caiman might you consider something a bit cheaper? Or would you get rid of the Beresford and use the Cambridge for DAC duties?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The Stream Magic 6 is a very capable player that offers great VFM.

IMO the only other player which comes close is the Pioneer N-50 which I believe offers a colour screen at roughly the same price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts