Strange speaker noise developed! Suggestions required

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I've developed a problem with my set-up (Onk 876 and Kef 3005SE).

I've recently relocated my speakers (after full re-build of the room!) and I've noticed a weird noise coming from the rears.

The noise itself is difficult to describe, but its almost like a squelchy noise (It almost sounds like the noise made when rewinding video tapes!).
I only really hear it when I'm up close to the speakers, but it really doesn't sound right at all.

I've checked the cabling and everything seems to be in order. I don't think it is a problem with the speakers as both rears are equally affected.

I've narrowed it down to either interference or possibly a faulty amp.

Any other suggestions would be welcome before I tear my hair out!

Cheers
Ketch

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Are you getting it on all sources or when Stereo sound is being processed into 5.1? I get squelchy noise when the signal is being processed but not when it is true surround.

A

Anonymous

At the moment I've only got my SKY HD box plumbed in (and only using HDMI) as I'm still waiting for my AV rack to arrive to wire everything up again.

I'll try it out with the blu-ray player tonight to see if I get the same effect.

Is the 'squelchy noise' a common fault when processing stereo sound into 5.1? I've never noticed it before.

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I had these noises to but i heard them in my front speakers (not sure with my surrounds).

I only heard this with my sattelite decoder on PLII movie.

Maybe PLII movie doesn't work properly with some mediocre broadcasts.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I think we've cracked it.

The amp was in fact set to PLII Movie and converting a standard stereo signal from the Sky box to a 5.1 set-up.

Tried playing both Dolby Digital and True HD soundtracks from my PS3 and Sony BDP-S550 and there was no sign of the weird squelch.

Think I'll be changing my listening mode later! Here's hoping that PLII Movie is the only mode that manifests this problem.

Cheers both.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts