Strange Speaker Connection

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I have the oppertunity to purchase some Wharfedale E90 speakers from '77 and they have a very wiered connection on the end of them...they are the "pro" version. Could somebody shed some light on this connector and tell me whether I can connect it to a normal amplifier?
447e_12.JPG

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Can't really see from the pic, but do you know how many wires come out of the other end of the lead?

Do you know if this is standard or if it's been modified? The only thing I can think of is that they have been converted to a 100v line for long cable runs. If this is the case, then the only thing you'll notice is a severe lack of volume. (you'd need a 100v line transformer for them to work - although I use the word "work" tentatively, as in general 100v systems are lacking in bass due to the inductive effect of the transformer.

Failing that, try and get the seller to open up that plug and see how it is wired. If its only two cables and two pins used, then it's just probably a seventies thing!!!

A

Anonymous

LOL...seventies stuff ey! By the way, these things 'aint gonna be quiet! They have a whopping 95db efficiency @1w@1m!!!!! The only other picture I can see is this
07f0_1.JPG
...It looks like there is only one input...

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
that looks a little XLR-y sir... and the handle on the back looks a little "pro" as well, which would confirm the XLR sockets. If that's the case, then the chances are that it's just a normal speaker connection (I would get a multimeter and test all three lines for connectivity, and if only two work, then chop the weird 3-pin plug off). Is this fleabay? if so, I would ask the seller if he can photo the sockets closer.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
just found this "In 1979 the monster E90 appeared, the reinforced PRO version of which ended up as a PA 'speaker in many schools and cinemas."

Almost certainly XLR plugs - I reckon you could be ok there sir...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]just found this "In 1979 the monster E90 appeared, the reinforced PRO version of which ended up as a PA 'speaker in many schools and cinemas."

Almost certainly XLR plugs - I reckon you could be ok there sir...
[/quote]

Well thankyou very much! Can you get XLR to bare wire cables? I can't wait to hear what these beasts will sound like through a 70watt amplifier if they are that sensative! I have heard E70s, E50s and E30s before when I was a kid and wanted to buy myself what I deamed "the ultimate speaker" for nostalgia purposes!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
This might help you sir... http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1031&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=XLR%20plug&doy=5m3

XLR plugs/sockets at less than £2 each... bargain eh? Not sure you'll get too much cable in there, but if you remove the cable boot, should be able to get at least the width of a 79strand in there (gotta keep things authentic 70s eh?)

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Also, so might this...

Unbalanced Audio (3 pole XLR):

Pin 1: Ground / Screen
Pin 2: Signal
Pin 3: Ground / Screen (connect to pin 1)
xlrdiag.gif

Basically, Pin 1 and 3 are connected together (speaker -) and pin 2 is speaker +

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]...but if you remove the cable boot, should be able to get at least the width of a 79strand in there (gotta keep things authentic 70s eh?)[/quote]

Cue Chic's La Freak? And my '79 JVC is gonna rock them! Where's my Granada gone?

A

Anonymous

and the Buggles Video Killed The Radio Star will be the first song I am going to play shortly followed by Boomtown Rats I don't like Mondays followed with I will Survive and to top it off a bit of Bright Eyes by Garfunkel.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]How'd you guess the contents of my ipod? ;)[/quote]

I was just reading the list of mine! Ha ha ha!

A

Anonymous

I'm waiting for somebody to go "You forgot Pink Floyd Another Brick In The Wall" in a smarmy voice....I hope you don't like the song cause I HATE IT!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I like a lot of early (i.e. Syd Barrett) floyd, but don't really do the AOR commercial floyd...so yep, you're safe there!

plus the fact that the bl00dy song is on just about every 80s compilation and "best of 80s" tv shows going. so it was played to death. But the 'rats mondays is such a great track - the piano crescendos are just magic when played loud.... Let me know how it sounds on the E90s if you get them!!!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="fatboyslimfast"]I like a lot of early (i.e. Syd Barrett) floyd, but don't really do the AOR commercial floyd...so yep, you're safe there!

plus the fact that the bl00dy song is on just about every 80s compilation and "best of 80s" tv shows going. so it was played to death. But the 'rats mondays is such a great track - the piano crescendos are just magic when played loud.... Let me know how it sounds on the E90s if you get them!!![/quote]

Will do sir!

A

Anonymous

hi there! hope you dont mind me contacting you but have no other option now! you sound like you know what your talking about! i have a pair of e90 wharfdale speakers but have no idea how to connect them to my amp????? any chance you could help me out? would really appreciate it! cheeers

A

Anonymous

[quote user="danny0013"]
hi there! hope you dont mind me contacting you but have no other option now! you sound like you know what your talking about! i have a pair of e90 wharfdale speakers but have no idea how to connect them to my amp????? any chance you could help me out? would really appreciate it! cheeers
[/quote]

Sorry for the late reply! First of all, I didn't buy the speakers, they went for over £400! (i've seen 'em go a bit cheaper so I'll wait for the next lot).

If you show me a pic of the back of it, I can tell you what to do however! Without sounding patronising, you need to upload the photo to an external site such as flickr first and then put around the hyperlink.

I hope they'll sound good though! Please reply soon!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts