Strange sound coming from speaker

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Thinking my Mission 757's had reached the end of the line due to a crackling, rustling sound from the right speaker I replaced them with Mission MX5's only to find the same noise from the new right speaker. Could it be the Amp that is at fault? My amp is about 20 years old it is an Arcam Alpha plus and may have had some misuse a while back from one of my children playing it at high volume. Any ideas people?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Could well be that your volume pot needs cleaning. I you aint au fait with taking your amp to bits and doing the required then pop it down your local dealer to have a butchers. May not be that but a friend of mine is having exactly the same problem, albeit a different amp.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Oooer !. Well you have to take the cover off the Amp and spray the vol pot ,if you can get at it, with some contact cleaner. Do not plumb it back into the gas untill it is dry !!.

If you are unsure phone your local dealer. Tbh if he wants a kings ransome then i would go onto theifbay,loads of alphas on there for not much money.

Actually just phone your dealer, safer and less tears.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Before buying new speakers did you not at least perform really basic funtamental tests like swapping the speakers around, listening through phones and basically ticking-off every possible variable, to check that it really was the speaker and not something else.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
If the amp is 20 years old, it might be the right time to have it serviced and checked.
Those things are like engines, they need an overhaul from time to time.

It could be something simple like dust in the volume dail, or something more serious like worn transistors or capacitors.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts