Strange problem with left surround speaker

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a bit of a weird one here that I can't seem to be able to fix.

My rear left speaker works and sound comes out of it as it should, however my right speaker sounds much better. They are both 1.90m away from my position and I have the distance inputted into my Denon 1910.

I have also got an SPL meter and calibrated the levels of the speakers so they sound the same. I have only recently noticed the left speaker not sounding right so I switched them out and the same thing applies so its not the speaker itself.

I have them wall mounted quite high above my head pointing downwards, both are at the same angle. Its weird I'm sure this didnt used to be like this otherwise I would have noticed, so I cant understand what has gone on.

All I can say is that the rear left speaker sounds somewhat like it lacks directionality. The right speaker stands out like yes that is the right rear how I like it the left one does but to a much lesser degree.

I have also checked to see if the speakers are wired correctly which they appear to be. The only differnece between the speakers is the left one is above a door and the right one is just wall. However if this was the problem I would have noticed this before now, its winding me up because I can't get it to sound right.

I dont have any of the audyssey stuff setup so its not that either.

Cant fathom it

I have Q Acoustics 1050i fronts bi-amped

1020i rears

1000c centre

1000s sub

A

Anonymous

Probably no help but I have had to replace 2 Denon 1910's because they were doing strange things to speakers. The first was putting a whistling through both right speakers. The second was muting the centre speaking anytime the subwoofer kicked in. I have had my fourth Denon 1910 now since about February and no other problems. (The IR port stopped working on the third)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
DAVID MCKEOWN:Probably no help but I have had to replace 2 Denon 1910's because they were doing strange things to speakers. The first was putting a whistling through both right speakers. The second was muting the centre speaking anytime the subwoofer kicked in. I have had my fourth Denon 1910 now since about February and no other problems. (The IR port stopped working on the third)

In that case it might help to temporarily swap the speaker cables for left and right surround over at the amp end, yes your surrounds will be the wrong way round but if the left now sounds ok and the right sounds vague then it would indicate a problem with the amp.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:DAVID MCKEOWN:Probably no help but I have had to replace 2 Denon 1910's because they were doing strange things to speakers. The first was putting a whistling through both right speakers. The second was muting the centre speaking anytime the subwoofer kicked in. I have had my fourth Denon 1910 now since about February and no other problems. (The IR port stopped working on the third)In that case it might help to temporarily swap the speaker cables for left and right surround over at the amp end, yes your surrounds will be the wrong way round but if the left now sounds ok and the right sounds vague then it would indicate a problem with the amp.

Thankyou both for the replies

I hadn't thought of that, excellent idea. Will give it a shot as this Denon does have some quirks thats for sure, quite often when I turn on my xbox 360 it will come on in stereo and wont switch to 5.1, I then have to reboot the xbox so there must be some sort of handshaking issue there.

A

Anonymous

I tried switching the speaker wires at the amp so that left became right and vice versa, still appeared that the right speaker had more detectable surround information meaning that the amp is sending the information to the left channel however I'm not hearing it right. I also tried changing the positive and negative on the speaker wire just to make sure I hadn't got them wrong and they seem to be the same either way I can't tell a difference.

When it comes to wiring I usually go with whichever has the writing printed on goes to be the positive cable. However I noticed that the wiring on my rear left speaker switches at either end compared to the right speaker so i'm not sure which should be positive. Either way they sound the same to me.

I put a game on with a static sound, turned the levels down on my front three speakers and then panned the camera left to right and right to left to get a good panning sound coming out of my rears. I can hear the sound going right from left and vice versa but when the sound is just coming out of the left speaker it is hard to pinpoint, whereas it is easy to detect it out of the right.

Something is not right but I cant quite put me finger on it.

A

Anonymous

Im thinking of moving my rear speakers so that they are further away from the back wall in case I am getting any unwanted reflections from the door that my left speaker is near. If I do this the speaker will be closer to me but still behind me, I can move the sofa out from the back wall which it is already to close to and it will basically mean that I have he same setup as before.

However if I leave the setup how it currently is I could move the sofa out and then face the rears in so they are behind me and pointed in basically like the Dolby picture. So what i'm asking is, is it better to have the speakers just behind me or further back?

I know there are pro and cons but not sure which will out weigh the other?

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have same problem with my 2310 and left front speaker which is suddenly more audible than the right speaker, was looking some solution but cant find anything....:(

A

Anonymous

if you have the system output the test tones whilst sitting in your normal seating position do you hear the same volume level from both rears?

If not maybe the calibration is out for some reason. Try a recalibration.

Or try nudging up the affected speaker volume in the set up.

Edit - sorry just re-read the original post and I realise that it is not a volume issue but more an SQ issue.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts