Strange buzzing sound from phono stage

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I am experiencing a strange buzzing sound (sounds like a ground loop feedback noise or an 8bit beepy noise) which seems to come from my phono stage.

My system is: Technics SL1210 -> Rega Fono MM -> Roksan Caspian M2 integrated.

All morning I have been listening to music from my Bluesound Node, no problems at all (I am working from home!). I thought I would switch to some vinyl for a bit, I have just replaced the stylus so wanted to check it out. After about 5 minutes into the LP the buzzing starts - pretty loud - out of both speakers.

I stop the record & turn off the Technics - still buzzing. I then change the input on the Roksan to an unused line in - STILL buzzing! I then turn off the Rega phono stage - still buzzing but gets quieter.

The weird thing is if I touch the Rega phono stage, the buzzing goes very quiet. As soon as I let go of it, it comes back. I can repeat this over and over again. So it seems like I am grounding the phono stage when I touch it - but why is this happening?

TrevC

wilro15 said:
I am experiencing a strange buzzing sound (sounds like a ground loop feedback noise or an 8bit beepy noise) which seems to come from my phono stage.

My system is: Technics SL1210 -> Rega Fono MM -> Roksan Caspian M2 integrated.

All morning I have been listening to music from my Bluesound Node, no problems at all (I am working from home!). I thought I would switch to some vinyl for a bit, I have just replaced the stylus so wanted to check it out. After about 5 minutes into the LP the buzzing starts - pretty loud - out of both speakers.

I stop the record & turn off the Technics - still buzzing. I then change the input on the Roksan to an unused line in - STILL buzzing! I then turn off the Rega phono stage - still buzzing but gets quieter.

The weird thing is if I touch the Rega phono stage, the buzzing goes very quiet. As soon as I let go of it, it comes back. I can repeat this over and over again. So it seems like I am grounding the phono stage when I touch it - but why is this happening?

Does it buzz with the Bluesound thing powered down?

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Yep. I switched off my DAC and the other digital bits and bobs and was still buzzing.

I managed to "fix" it by unplugging the Technics RCA leads from the Rega, then plugging them back in again. Managed to listen to 3 more LPs without an issue.

I'm expecting it to happen again, but looks ok for now.

If one of the Technics phono leads had become slightly loose that would have broken the ground. Removing and reinserting it fully must have fixed that.

I did wonder if you'd disturbed a cartridge wire while changing the stylus, but hopefully not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts