Stop Gap Blu-Ray player for KRP-500

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BAH!

Just thought I'd get that out of the way.

Anyway, current situation, old amp (none HDMI), new TV. I want to get a Blu-Ray player now but I want to be able to enjoy the HD Audio codecs despite not having an amp that can decode them, which means I need multi-channel outs on the Blu-Ray player. The longer term plan though is to get an amp (Pioneer), maybe later this year, maybe next year, that can decode HD Audio and then upgrade the Blu-Ray player at a later date.

So I want a cheapish multi-channel output BDP that isn't going to disgrace the KRP, I can get the Sony BDP-S550, with multi-region DVD playback for £250 from Richer Sounds, would this do a reasonable job with the KRP? How does it compare, for example, picture-wise with the Pioneer BDP-320? That's the other option as it would link in better with any future Pioneer Amp upgrade but would obviously mean I'll have to forego the HD audio for the time being (and is £100 more expensive right now, although it'll remove the need to by another BDP later).

This is doing my nut in trying to decide what to do, I really want to get 2001 on Blu-Ray but I want to get the full PCM sound for the opening scene, otherwise it just isn't going to be the same!

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
All the BDPs that output HD audio over analogue outs should also be able to output HD LPCM or bitstream over HDMI. would it not be better to just get a quality player with analogue outs and keep it when you get the new amp?

Unless you just want to wait as you think some more impressive players are going to appear in the coming months?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, there's no decoding necessary with a PCM soundtrack, so any Blu-Ray player with multichannel outputs would work with 2001, whether it can decode onboard or not.

Given you want to upgrade the Blu-Ray player at a later date anyway, I would go with the Sony - I have one and, although I haven't seen the Pioneer and I'm sure it's a step up, the sound of HD audio will be such a big step up from DVD anyway that the Sony will still sound fantastic (one of the BDP-S550's strong points is the audio). It's cheaper so makes sense for a temporary player, it will be more flexible in that you can set the Sony up in another room with an older amp through the multichannel outputs when you do upgrade and it should also mean a more noticeable improvement when you take that next step up with the new Blu-Ray player.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I agree with the other guys, but - furthermore - instead of worrying about Kuro Link - get yourself a wonderful Harmony One remote. I have an 8G Kuro (4280) , Sony blu-ray player ,Yamaha receiver, Sky HD. Touch the relevant icon on the Harmony and off you go.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
kinda: All the BDPs that output HD audio over analogue outs should also be able to output HD LPCM or bitstream over HDMI. would it not be better to just get a quality player with analogue outs and keep it when you get the new amp?

Yes but if I get a quality player (ie expensive) it WILL be a Pioneer. However Pioneer's current range of (UK) multi-channel equipped players are all profile 1 (apart from the LX91 and I'm not paying £2k...), probably have issues with some BD-Live disc, have very slow loading times and seemingly won't ever receive firmware updates any time soon.

Unless you just want to wait as you think some more impressive players are going to appear in the coming months?

Yes I'm expecting Pioneer to refresh the rest of the range as they have with the BDP-120,320 and LX52. I just don't know when and I'm getting impatient to watch Blu-Ray!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
professorhat: Indeed, there's no decoding necessary with a PCM soundtrack, so any Blu-Ray player with multichannel outputs would work with 2001, whether it can decode onboard or not.

Granted but I am intending to buy more than just 2001 on Blu-Ray!
emotion-2.gif

Given you want to upgrade the Blu-Ray player at a later date anyway, I would go with the Sony - I have one and, although I haven't seen the Pioneer and I'm sure it's a step up, the sound of HD audio will be such a big step up from DVD anyway that the Sony will still sound fantastic (one of the BDP-S550's strong points is the audio). It's cheaper so makes sense for a temporary player, it will be more flexible in that you can set the Sony up in another room with an older amp through the multichannel outputs when you do upgrade and it should also mean a more noticeable improvement when you take that next step up with the new Blu-Ray player.

Yeah that was my thinking as well, seems to make sense to me, I just don't want to short change the screen in the meantime, although, as you say, I'll (hopefully) notice more of an improvement at a later date.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sorreltiger:I agree with the other guys, but - furthermore - instead of worrying about Kuro Link - get yourself a wonderful Harmony One remote. I have an 8G Kuro (4280) , Sony blu-ray player ,Yamaha receiver, Sky HD. Touch the relevant icon on the Harmony and off you go.

I guess that's an option but it's another thing for the missus to learn to use (and more expense), when I could just be using one remote anyway. And there's the other stuff that I mentioned (PQLS thingy) and the fact that Pioneer do seem to be making some of the best BDPs (in terms of picture quality) around at the moment, which really is my primary consideration, long term at least.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
What about the new Oppo player? Does that have analogue outs? If it does it may be good enough for you to keep going forward, as it seems very good, is profile 2 and isn't at too high a price point.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
kinda:What about the new Oppo player? Does that have analogue outs? If it does it may be good enough for you to keep going forward, as it seems very good, is profile 2 and isn't at too high a price point.

Yeah that announcement has kind of thrown the cat amongst the pigeons. It does have 7.1 outputs, which is good, although it is another 200 quid more than the Sony. But then it's also an SACD and DVD-Audio player and yah know, I really DO need War of the Worlds on another format (no joke there was a very cool box set a while back that included an SACD)!

I'll see what the reviews are like, if it's really that good I'll have to consider it.

Sc00bied00

Sep 3, 2007
Visit site
I'm in the same situ, was considering the LX-52, but there is sooo much debate around the Oppo I'm waiting too, The pqls is a nice touch and the kuro link etc but if the performance is as good as some say it suspect it may sway decisions. Opting for an all in one control would be the next.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts