Still not impressed with the number of UHD Blu-Rays DISCS Out There...

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I counted about thirty in WHF's latest list, with about three or four I would actually consider buying.

Most of the others are either Spiderman vs. The Dagenham Girl Pipers type stuff I avoid like the plague being a grown-up and all, or rereleases of old (and I mean OLD) titles.

How about you chaps?

Paul.

I've decided not to bother for a while. By the time there are good disks the players will be £150.

Problem is the producers are still upscaling content. I was debating preordering the new Star Trek as UHD as it was a dual UHD + bluray set but after doing some research I found out all the CG scenes (which is most of them in Star Trek) were 1080p upscale to 2160p. This is why most people are commenting that they are not seeing huge differences with many UHD disks.

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Can't see it changing fast or even a huge uptake. What with DVD still probably massively outselling blu ray nevermind UHD and streaming of various natures the future is going to be tough.

I'm sure like many parents I just buy DVD for the kids, they will watch a film over and over - they won't complain it hasn't got the latest sound or the picture quality could be better. For a film to watch with my wife it is stream/download/satellite last thing I want anymore is piling up a load of blu ray disc's I have only ever watched once.

manicm

I'm not surprised really, and neither should you. The trouble, as I posted on the '2 for 1' news piece, is consumer fatigue. How many will swap their perfectly good HD tellys and players for the 4k equipment?

It's a different story, of-course, for those buying new tellys, or their first disc players. But I suspect those really interested in 4k are going to spend on broadband/Netfix/Amazon. And anyway, who wants to watch the Three Colours Red trilogy in 4k?

The way I see it 4k discs are the last straw for physical formats, and I don't see sales ever taking over that of Blu-ray, nevermind DVD. If the studios sell the movies as unDRMd downloads - which I've been clamouring for years now - I'd happily plump up for new equipment now, but alas they sell us junk like Ultraviolet and other trash.

Alsol note, in Japan they're already broadcasting in 8k.

daveh75

Not even remotely interested in disc formats anymore.

I'll make do with what's available via streaming.

Even my Blu-Ray discs were ripped long ago and they and the player have been gathering dust ever since...

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm one of those old-fashioned types that likes to own a hard copy of the movie or music or whatever that I buy, rather than rent. Too many TV shows, movies, etc. have been "wiped" over the years for my liking, and my eclectic tastes don't always chime with what "they" decide I should be allowed to access.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just bought the Shallows 4K blu ray today and it's pretty impressive.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just bought the Shallows 4K blu ray today and it's pretty impressive.

D

Deleted member 2457

I wish I could buy a few more titles which I actually wanted.

D

Deleted member 2457

Alantiggger said:
Good un gel, the Shallows , nice wee movie, I loved it tbh as did the kids :)
thumbs_up.gif

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
Anyway Paul, good friend of mine and a pal.... I now have 'our' Samsung in the bedroom.... got the 'New' Panasonic TX-58AX802b in the living room, oh my ! :)
Have you given the correct model number? if so I hope you didn't pay too much for it. Reviewed by What Hifi back in December 2014 link http://ww.whathifi.com/panasonic/tx-58ax802b/review

I assume you have given an incorrect model number, the latest model is the TX-58DX802b.. Either way enjoy your purchase. Best regards

TRENDING THREADS