Question Stick with Denon M30 or buy a CD player

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Afternoon all,

I have a small system with a NAD 316BEE amp (no digital input) and a pair of MA Bronze speakers. The CD-player is a Denon MD30 mini-system using the RCA output into the amp. (25+ years old I think)

Denon UD-M30 Review (kenrockwell.com)

I am pondering buying a stand-alone CD-player, possible the Denon DCD600NE, and was wondering if this is a good idea. Would the sound quality be better (I am thinking only marginal) and would the actual machine be quieter (I can hear the disc spinning in the M30 when there is no music playing).

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Sooner or later the laser mechanism in your Denon is going to fail, I am surprised bit hasn't already.
If you have a large cd collection then certainly a stand alone CD player with warranty is obviously the way forward, or indeed and modern bluray player. The dacs in either have progressed significantly. They are not that expensive.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
Afternoon all,

I have a small system with a NAD 316BEE amp (no digital input) and a pair of MA Bronze speakers. The CD-player is a Denon MD30 mini-system using the RCA output into the amp. (25+ years old I think)

Denon UD-M30 Review (kenrockwell.com)

I am pondering buying a stand-alone CD-player, possible the Denon DCD600NE, and was wondering if this is a good idea. Would the sound quality be better (I am thinking only marginal) and would the actual machine be quieter (I can hear the disc spinning in the M30 when there is no music playing).

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance
Andrew

It will definitely sound better than what you are using, but it won't sound good on the grand scale of things. That is the most basic CD player you can buy. However it seems that the level above that will require significantly more spend, probably £350 minimum. I wouldn't recommend a blue ray or DVD player for audio because those will be sluggish in operation and all the controls (like fast forward) will be optimised for video. I have a DVD player as an SACD and another as a DVD-A player and it's ok for occasional use of those random formats but I would't want either of them as my main players.

If you are interested in buying one and are in the UK though, several times a month eBay do 10-20% off certain sellers and Peter Tyson is one of them, they sell that model, and if you go through top cash back you can get another 1% off too. They do this offer several times a month. They also offer the Marantz 6007 (only the silver one) which is allegedly a far superior player, have seen that for as low as £289 with the deal.....

Reactions: cisamcgu

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I had thought about DVD/Blue-ray player plus DAC - but they don't have the display panel showing disc information - I really like that feature
You don’t need an out board dac. Just make sure it’s not one of the mini Blu-ray players they tend to be missing a lot of connectivity very bare bones some of them.

You’ll find loads of dvd players on eBay for little money. Pioneer made some of the best back in the day as did arcam. 10-15 quid and you’ll be laughing with pioneer player arcam a little more

But if the denon is still going strong and you have no problems I see no real need for you to spend money at this moment in time.

On a side note you will always here discs spinning and the lazer moving you won’t get round that. I mean there spinning at nearly a 1000rpm( a little under) some are little louder than other though.

Reactions: cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I'll have a ponder, balancing the desire for a new toy with the knowledge that it will probably make little, if any, difference :) I also like VU meters, so maybe get one of those instead :)

This

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts