Question Stereo system for 1500eur?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

Aye, I'm more confused than I was before. :oops:

Wait, so 500-600eu amp isn't "good enough" for 1000eur speakers? Or is it that a better amp can always get more out of speakers?
A lot of people mention that MA Silvers sound "boxy" - I've no idea what that means but I assume it's bad?
KEF Q550 do seem nice. I wonder if it's worth spending a bit more for the Q750?

The Monitor Audio Silvers are definitely not boxy or harsh. But whereas most manufacturers publish flattering specs, MA admirably and honestly state a MINIMUM 60w recommended amp for the Silver 200s. That's refreshingly frank. And then some complain why they sound fatiguing at the end of a Rotel A11 Tribute....

Reactions: doifeellucky

doifeellucky

Completely agree regarding synergy. I’ve got a CXA60 paired with Dali Zensor 3’s. I compared against the bottom end Marantz with also the Monitor Audio Bronze (whatever the model was at the time), the Q Acoustics Concept 20’s, and a lesser Q Acoustics model. Despite WHF deeming the Concept 20’s as ground breaking I just didn’t like the Q acoustics sound. Other amps may pair much better with Q Acoustics but there were no other options at the time.

Reactions: manicm

robdmarsh

The "spend as much as you can on speakers" advice is pretty bad, imo, you need proper amplification to in order to drive speakers to their full potential.
This is an interesting comment to which my answer would be both yes and no.

Case in point, I made a massive upgrade in sound with my little Marantz m-cr603, which barely kicks out 30 wpc and is class D. It has a sweet, really engaging sound though, and the combination with my Elac debut b5 (original edition) was a good match, but these are pretty low sensitivity speakers and I wondered what the Marantz was capable of with similar sized stand mounters but higher end and with higher sensitivity. I read about the Triangle Titus EZ and thought I'd give them a try. The result surpassed all of my expectations and I was shocked by how much more this little amp had to give. This new combination, however, gave a me clear insight into how an amplifier upgrade could work. I'd had the Marantz for 6 years and I loved it, but the Triangles were revealing to me where the mcr603 was reaching its limits and that was with dynamics and headroom in the sound, if that makes sense. I read about the Denon as maybe a livelier alternative to the Marantz pm6007 and picked one up nearly new for a steal. After a couple of days of running in I had the sound I had hoped I could achieve (dare I say it, even dreamed of) without much outlay.

So what I'm trying to say is that I don't there is a set upgrade path with rules ie switch amplifier first, switch source first or switch speakers first. Use your ears, imagine a sound you're aiming for, read about elements you think that might get you there, and don't be afraid to buy used.

Reactions: rainsoothe

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
the old series should be available quite cheap then...

Just to give a little info (don't wish to derail the thread) - the new 100 Series is all-new, not a single component shared with the old, they're a little larger due to a change to 5" drivers (we've kept this to around 15% increase in size). It's unlikely there'll be many huge discounts on the outgoing range though since, like many, availability has been hampered this last year or two so there aren't that many left in circulation!

Just to give a little info (don't wish to derail the thread) - the new 100 Series is all-new, not a single component shared with the old, they're a little larger due to a change to 5" drivers (we've kept this to around 15% increase in size). It's unlikely there'll be many huge discounts on the outgoing range though since, like many, availability has been hampered this last year or two so there aren't that many left in circulation!
Thanks for clarification.
Presumably there will be some discount unless your dealers don't actually own any stock as, if everyone goes for the new models, any of the old models will be left on the shelf.
It will also depend on how much more the new models are

rainsoothe

Hi again - so if it were my money, I'd base my system on either a Rega Brio + Bluesound Node or Yamaha WXAD 10 if you want streaming, or some iFi Zen Blue 2 or Dac 2 if you only need dac or bluetooth capability, you compare all the features on these products and see which one fits your bill (personally, I like the versatility of the Bluesound, it's a streamer, a dac, and has a great app to control it), or a Cyrus One HD (this has DAC and bluetooth i think, no streamer though) or a simpel Cyrus One without the DAC + any of the affore-mentioned sources (let's say the Bluesound), take them with you and audition a bunch of speakers - Dali Oberon 5 or, if you can afford them, Fyne Audio F501 would be my top choices, but cheaper models like Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 or Elac Debut stuff should also be on your audition list. And choose what you like most.

Also think about positioning in your room, most speakers require some space around them, you can't really plump them in a corner and expect them to sound good, obviously.

Good luck!

RawDumpling

Dec 29, 2021
Visit site
1640962865998.png

Tried drawing :DSpeakers are the red dots, 2.5m between them and that wall is ~4m long. Also the ceiling is sloped 1.7m at the lowest point and about ~3.2m at the highest (~middle)

Even though I don't like bookshelf speakers - holy crap Wharfedale Linton look amazing. But damn, they're 1200eur with stands

Tinman1952

View attachment 3056

Tried drawing :DSpeakers are the red dots, 2.5m between them and that wall is ~4m long. Also the ceiling is sloped 1.7m at the lowest point and about ~3.2m at the highest (~middle)

Even though I don't like bookshelf speakers - holy crap Wharfedale Linton look amazing. But damn, they're 1200eur with stands
For that money I would rather have these.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts