Question Stereo system for 1500eur?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Reactions: Tinman1952

gasolin

It was very clear/open but to the brighter side of neutral and bass wasn't there biggest force, it's the depth,soundtage,clarity openess, details in the midrange, could imagine it would be very good with a pair of Kef ls50 metas

Can't remember what speakers i used with the amp

Reactions: camcroft

camcroft

Have you heard the CXA61 and would you say there is a significant difference over the CXA60? This magazine seems to love CA products to the point where I become a little bit skeptical.
Hi. Sorry I haven't heard it one thing I know is different is that the CXA61 has bluetooth built in whereas the CXA60 needs an optional bluetooth dongle to make it work. I think other than that the specs are very similar. I sold my bluetooth dongle and bought a iFi Zen Blue which is not only better its more functional with its built in Dac and an array of codecs. I have looked at the other Cambridge amps but often wonder would I gain much more from them. The sound of the CXA60 in my eyes is excellent matched with my equipment that is.

robdmarsh

Hi. Sorry I haven't heard it one thing I know is different is that the CXA61 has bluetooth built in whereas the CXA60 needs an optional bluetooth dongle to make it work. I think other than that the specs are very similar. I sold my bluetooth dongle and bought a iFi Zen Blue which is not only better its more functional with its built in Dac and an array of codecs. I have looked at the other Cambridge amps but often wonder would I gain much more from them. The sound of the CXA60 in my eyes is excellent matched with my equipment that is.
I have a Zen blue and with the LDAC codec, connected via QED performance interconnect to my amp the sound quality is really very good. Improved even further with addition of the iPower power supply to my ears. In fact it sounds so good I want to try a dedicated streamer (Denon dnp 800ne) to see if I can really hear any difference between Zen blue and real hi res streams!

camcroft

I have a Zen blue and with the LDAC codec, connected via QED performance interconnect to my amp the sound quality is really very good. Improved even further with addition of the iPower power supply to my ears. In fact it sounds so good I want to try a dedicated streamer (Denon dnp 800ne) to see if I can really hear any difference between Zen blue and real hi res streams!
You just have to look in my signiture what iFi products that I have. I have even got their GO blu for on the go
https://ifi-audio.com/products/go-blu/

camcroft

What's the Go blue?
Follow the link its like the Zen Blue but portable if your phone or player hasn't got the correct codecs you send the signal to the GO blu then you can use your wired headphones connected to it to receive the better sound coming through the Go blu unit. Its a fantastic bit of kit its like a stereo system in your pocket.

camcroft

I'm guessing you're pretty pleased with the SQ from the Zen blue and are not tempted to splash £700 on CXN V2?
I dont stream as such not in that way anyway I do it the cheapo way from Echo Dot to Zen Blue into system I have 2 of them the other one goes into a pair of wireless speakers dot to Zen Blue connected by a wire into my Audioengine 5+ speakers. All using Amazon Music Unlimited. Prime and I pay £3.99 a month for one device namely one dedicated Dot and the sound for me is perfectly good enough and everything I ask for is available.

Tinman1952

Hello, I'm looking to buy a stereo system for around 1500 eur. I was thinking to split it like ~500 for the amp and ~1000 for the floorstanding speakers (don't want bookshelf).

For the amp I think I'm pretty much sold on the the Cambridge Audio AXR100 - BT, DAC, great reviews and it even looks good. 🙂

For the speakers... no idea. These kind of stood out to me while looking for reviews etc. but what do I know...
  • Klipsch RP-5000F (Klipsch R-820F are similar in price - is there a (big) difference between them?)
  • KEF Q550
  • DALI OBERON 5
  • Monitor Audio Monitor 300 (or bronze 200? Which one's better?)
  • Q Acoustics 3050i - although somehow I really don't like how they look
  • Monitor Audio Silver 200 - there's a deal on them 999eur - I assume Silver would be better than the Bronze series, but what about Silver 200 vs Bronze 500?
I currently have 150eur speakers so obviously either of them would be a huge upgrade :) The room is not huge, about 34sqm
You obviously like the Cambridge AXR100 so go with that. Nothing wrong with it at all. Of the speakers you mention I would choose the KEF Q550 or the Monitor Audio Silver 200. They are both good enough to cope with an improvement in your source/amplifier should you eventually wish to upgrade them.

RawDumpling

Dec 29, 2021
Visit site
... (Seems like we've hijacked the poor guy's thread!)
Aye, I'm more confused than I was before. :oops:

You obviously like the Cambridge AXR100 so go with that. Nothing wrong with it at all. Of the speakers you mention I would choose the KEF Q550 or the Monitor Audio Silver 200. They are both good enough to cope with an improvement in your source/amplifier should you eventually wish to upgrade them.
Wait, so 500-600eu amp isn't "good enough" for 1000eur speakers? Or is it that a better amp can always get more out of speakers?
A lot of people mention that MA Silvers sound "boxy" - I've no idea what that means but I assume it's bad?
KEF Q550 do seem nice. I wonder if it's worth spending a bit more for the Q750?

Tinman1952

Wait, so 500-600eu amp isn't "good enough" for 1000eur speakers? Or is it that a better amp can always get more out of speakers?
A lot of people mention that MA Silvers sound "boxy" - I've no idea what that means but I assume it's bad?
A better amp will definitely get more out of these speakers but you have to start somewhere....🙂
You could spend 2,000 euros on an amp with these speakers......

MA Silvers do NOT sound boxy...or harsh...or fatiguing! They are superb with plenty of detail and dynamics and excellent imaging.
Why consider the Q750 when you haven't tried the Q550 yet? Not worth it with a 'budget' amp...

rainsoothe

The "spend as much as you can on speakers" advice is pretty bad, imo, you need proper amplification to in order to drive speakers to their full potential. Also, the AXR100 is a reciever, so part of it's price is also the Bluetooth and tuner.

That being said, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better, but it's a matter of sinergy AND personal preference. There's quite a few people that actually prefer the sound of the AXR100 or even AXA35 to the CXA61, for instance.

I know this makes things seem even more confusing, but my point is you should only take everything you read as a rough guideline for making a list, then go out and audition and let your ears decide.

I'll come back later with how I'd personally spend your money :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts