Stereo sound improvements for my system

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Please advice from which side to start to improve my stereo sound?

I listen to a wide variety of music styles – starting from jazz and rock to metal and pop, and little bit of classics…

My system components listed in my signature. Also I am looking forward to by a turntable (Pro-Ject Debut Carbon) and CD player (Marantz CD6005?!).

Thank you in advance for the advice, recommendations!

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
What do you feel is lacking with regards to the soundquality of your current system? Do you have a budget in mind? My first impression would be that your speakers might deserve a good stereo amplifier to get the best out of them. A CD-player would also improve the sound imo. Nothing wrong with using a BR-player, but there certainly is room for improvement in that department of your set.

lilneige

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I would get a stereo intergrated amp with ht-bypass function first, using this amp to drive Ikon 6, and connect the AVR preout into this amp into the ht-bypass section. When playing movies thru the AVR, the setero amp will act as a power amp. Stereo sources like CDP and turntable should connects into that intergrated amp.

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Audiofoolius said:
What do you feel is lacking with regards to the soundquality of your current system? Do you have a budget in mind? My first impression would be that your speakers might deserve a good stereo amplifier to get the best out of them. A CD-player would also improve the sound imo. Nothing wrong with using a BR-player, but there certainly is room for improvement in that department of your set.

I would like to have bigger sound image, more dynamics, punch and more details… :)

I visited two HiFi accessory tests last week and was astonished how great can Dali speakers sound… of course, speakers and equipment was much higher class… :) So I started to think what should I improve to get from good sound to great sound :)

Ok, as I understand, I can use AVR as preamp and add stereo power amp… If so, then what amp would go the best with my Dali Ikon 6 mk2 speakers and Yamaha AVR? Budget - ~800£

What next?

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
lilneige said:
I would get a stereo intergrated amp with ht-bypass function first, using this amp to drive Ikon 6, and connect the AVR preout into this amp into the ht-bypass section. When playing movies thru the AVR, the setero amp will act as a power amp. Stereo sources like CDP and turntable should connects into that intergrated amp.

Why stereo integrated amp not just power amp and use AVR as preamp?

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Audiofoolius said:
Regisss said:
I would like to have bigger sound image, more dynamics, punch and more details… :)

For £800 I think the Roksan Kandy K2 might fit the bill for you. Audition first if possible of course.

This is integrated amp... what about power amp? I can stretch my budget if necessary... :)

vadio

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
To get the most out of your speakers, I would recommend auditing the NAD 375. Amplifier I think that will give to your speackers the best agility and musicality possible.

vadio

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
To get the most out of your speakers, I would recommend auditing the NAD 375. Amplifier I think that will give to your speackers the best agility and musicality possible.

vadio

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

vadio

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

jerryapril

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello Regis

Power amp is not going to improve anything at all with your Yamaha 830. I've heard 1030 pre out to Audiolab stereo power and then to two monobloc amps and Yamaha on its own sounded better. The only difference was in a volume setting, that was all. Yeah, plus higher price £££.

You have the first Aventage at 100W / 8Ohm to two channels. You do not need a "better" AVR. There is none.

Actually, your Yamaha + Dali 6 is a good setup. Plus you've bi-amped. You've done it all, including good cables Enjoy it and stay on target.

Bye.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Before actually spending any money, have you tried playing stereo music through all your speakers?

On my Pioneer AV receiver it's called "Extended Stereo". Also I alter the fader about half way in favour of the front speakers when playing music (on my ipad app) . There's likely an equivalent setting on your Yamaha. Don't assume that "Pure Direct" stereo is always the automatic 'go to' option.

AV receivers offer a sometimes bewildering array of settings, but it's worth experimenting with them. I was playing a Radiohead Bluray the other day and found that the receiver's Rock" setting sounded (surprisingly) better than Pure Direct. It's worth spending the time with these settings as they can dramatically alter the presentation of the sound; some of which may work well for you. Don't write off your receiver just yet until you've properly explored its full potential.

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Leeps said:
Before actually spending any money, have you tried playing stereo music through all your speakers?

On my Pioneer AV receiver it's called "Extended Stereo". Also I alter the fader about half way in favour of the front speakers when playing music (on my ipad app). There's likely an equivalent setting on your Yamaha. Don't assume that "Pure Direct" stereo is always the automatic 'go to' option.

AV receivers offer a sometimes bewildering array of settings, but it's worth experimenting with them. I was playing a Radiohead Bluray the other day and found that the receiver's Rock" setting sounded (surprisingly) better than Pure Direct. It's worth spending the time with these settings as they can dramatically alter the presentation of the sound; some of which may work well for you. Don't write off your receiver just yet until you've properly explored its full potential.

Yes, ofcourse. For my Yamaha it is called 7ch stereo.

Do you always use all your speakers for stereo sound?

I have no such settings like “Rock” in my Yamaha. Do you mean DSP (Digital Signal Processing) programs?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Regisss said:
Leeps said:

On my Pioneer AV receiver it's called "Extended Stereo". Also I alter the fader about half way in favour of the front speakers when playing music (on my ipad app). There's likely an equivalent setting on your Yamaha. Don't assume that "Pure Direct" stereo is always the automatic 'go to' option.

Yes, ofcourse. For my Yamaha it is called 7ch stereo.

Do you always use all your speakers for stereo sound?

I have no such settings like “Rock” in my Yamaha. Do you mean DSP (Digital Signal Processing) programs?

Yes.

Can I also clear up something that may not have been fully understood from previous posts?

If you were committed to using the pre-outs from your AV receiver into a stereo amp, probably the whole point of doing this is to circumvent the AV receiver all together with stereo sources.

So all 2 channel sources plug straight into your stereo integrated amp (which is why a power amp wouldn't really do much for you). Then multi-channel sources plug into your AV receiver which acts as a preamp for all channels and a power amp for your centre and rear speakers. In practice is makes this process much easier if the stereo amp in question has some kind of AV bypass input so that you don't have to manually mess about with volume levels for each channel - selecting this input allows your AV receiver to set the volume levels.

To my knowledge, the Roksan Kandy K2 and Creek Evolution 50A amps have this feature.

The appeal of the Roksan is its power. My question mark over using preouts into a separate integrated amp would be the potential disparity between the power handling of your AV receiver and the integrated. Most AV receivers tend to have quite high power outputs. I'd be concerned about mixing a 120wpc AV receiver with a 50wpc integrated. Maybe other forumites might be able to help with this if they've had experience doing this.

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Leeps for your comment and opinion!

Integrated amp is also option to go… (with home theatre pass input). In this option, I am worried about volume control… or, if there AVR pass input, then really won’t be problems for volume of surround sources?

Can anyone comment personal experience on similar setup – firstly playing all sources through AVR (5.1) and then adding stereo integrated amp for stereo sources and front speakers (also front for surround sources)? How was a result?

If this is the right way to go, then to what integrates amps look at?

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
You can also go with e.x. an Audiolab 8200 CDQ acting as a DAC and Preamp and use your AVR as a poweramp since the Preamp will have greater effect on the total sound normally.You can add more (better) poweramps later if needed and have a discrete stereo setup with overall better performance than with AVR since the 8200 CDQ has Hometheater mode too.

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Two weeks ago I bought Marantz CD6005 CD player and connect with analog Audioquest Evergreen interconnects to my Yamaha AVR… CD sound improved very much compare to Sony BDP. Now I am listening to CD just in straight or pure direct mode without enhancer. Really great!

But what to do with Spotify and TV stereo sound? I am still considering question about external power amp…

Regisss

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
More than half year have passed, but my question, problem still open... How can I improve my stereo sound...Main goals for my stereo sound upgrade is – more clarity, separation, dynamics and precise.So my four possible options could be (as I imagine):1. Adding external power amp – like Exposure 3010s2;2. Adding integrated power amp – like the same Exposure, Roksan etc. But there are few with HT pass...3. Changing my existing AVR - Yamaha RX-A840 to RX-A2040 (for example);4. Changing speakers... But actually I like Dali Ikon very much and with expensive amps they sound very nice... If the first option, then what power amp you could advice?If the second option, then what integrated amp you could advice? Maybe any other options?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts