Stereo amp + AV receiver confusion.....

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
I want to add a stereo amp to my AV system, from other posts I have gained some info on how to go about this but I am still confused on some of the details....

the receiver in question is the Sony STR DA2400es which has pre-outs for this purpose (or adding a power amp), the stereo amp in question will be the Roksan Kandy K2....

so connections....I connect LR cables to the pre-outs of the receiver.....to where on the Kandy ?

As I understand I connect the front speakers to the stereo amp and switch the av receiver off altogether when listening to stereo music.....I am confused however what to do when watching a film with the av receiver how does the receiver use the fronts if they are only connected to the stereo amp. Do I have to have both amps switched on and try and match volumes ? Surely not....I am assuming this is where the pre-out connections come in to play just not sure how to go about setting the amp to use them....?

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Yes you have to have both turned on, connect your pre outs from the sony to the bypass on the roksan with the switch on the roksan switched to bypass and recalibrate the audio setup on the sony.

Roksan manual extract below.

The VIDEO input (8) is linked to the BYPASS input (2) and
Switch (17). When the Bypass Switch is set to VIDEO, then the VIDEO input will function as a line level input.
When the switch is set to BYPASS, then the VIDEO input will be deactivated and the BYPASS input will become
activated. In this mode, the BYPASS input can be used for connection to a suround sound processor's front L&R
pre output for home theatre use. The BYPASS input is directly connected to the power amp section and
bypasses the preamp. The volume is then controlled via the surround sound processor and not the Kandy
integrated.

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks cwalduck....as you probably guessed I don't have the Roksan amp yet...(Xmas present hopefully) as I have just maxed my plastic on new speakers(MS Mezzo surround set up) and the Sony receiver and got one of the last available Kandy mk 111 cd players(a steal at £479) so will just content myself with listening to the cd player through the receiver for now.....good to know its that easy...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts