Static shocks

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Just recently i have noticed that i am getting small static shocks when i touch any of my hi-fi equipment. Not enough for discomfort but certainly enough to let me know it's there. Not terribly concerend about this, though the electric for my computer and hi-fi (separate wall sockets) did go off for about a second this afternoon. Don't think it is connected but anyone have any thoughts?

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
When your electricity went off - was it the earth leakage that tripped? (I'm hoping you have one of those...!)

If you feel a kind of tingling (vibrating even) sensation (rather than just an abrupt jolt) when touching your gear, I would suggest getting it checked out by an electrician, as though is indicative of a (possibly small) mains leakage.

A small leakage can be the early stages of a supressor capacitor failing (this may not even be in your gear - it could be some other appliance..).

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Terryff:
ummm earth leakage???

I have a mains conditioner...........

but i dont know what an earth leakage is, it sounds messy

Somewhere in your house there should be a mains distribution board (usually adjacent to your electricity meter etc.) and there's usually a row of trip switches somewhere nearby. (In the "old" days it used to be fuses).

One of those trip switches is likely to be an earth leakage unit - this will detect any current leakage to earth, and cut the mains accordingly..

It looks something like this..

rcb.jpg

Of course you may be based in another country where things are quite different...

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i had this a while ago and turned out to be my extension lead - tried swapping it for another and problem stopped - didn't examine cable just binned it as was just one of those cheap white ones

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
lol, wooden floors and vibram soled "sports sandals" (flip flops to you).

The weird thing is the hi fi is from one wall socket with a mains conditioner on and the computer from a totally different socket on a surge protected lead......

ho hum

If it happens again i will take it more seriouslyÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Funnily enough, I have wooden floors and started wearing different slippers round the flat and noticed I was getting static shocks quite often. Went back to my old pair and it stopped. So I wouldn't rule it out!

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Nylon carpets and rubber soled slippers, buddy..........

Which is why I asked Terry the question;

"If you feel a kind of tingling (vibrating even) sensation (rather than
just an abrupt jolt) when touching your gear, I would suggest getting
it checked out by an electrician, as though is indicative of a
(possibly small) mains leakage."

Usually an abrupt jolt is the result of static - but if it's a tingle then you should be concerned.

But he didn't answer it...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Atmospheric conditions can effect it, too - if your central heating's on full blast and drying out your room, you're more likely to be affected, it seems.

I'm a really static-shock magnet, and suffered from it appallingly at CES - all those electronics, miles of nylon carpet, dry desert air. One shock was so bad you could hear it across the room, and my arm hurt for hours - that was just from touching the metal back of a chair in the CES press room!

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Atmospheric conditions can effect it, too - if your central heating's on full blast and drying out your room, you're more likely to be affected, it seems.

I'm a really static-shock magnet, and suffered from it appallingly at CES - all those electronics, miles of nylon carpet, dry desert air. One shock was so bad you could hear it across the room, and my arm hurt for hours - that was just from touching the metal back of a chair in the CES press room!

That all sounds rather familiar - almost every time I get out of my chair at work and touch something metallic, it's met with an interesting cracking noise! Even if I walk to the kitchen and touch the kettle I get a static zap.

A

Anonymous

My JVC A-X400 does that - but it's not static because it's a tingly sensation. I have this sneaking suspiscion that it's not grounded as one wire to the chassis is missing...and it's not double insulated and has a huge metal chassis - I won't let my sister have it because I fear it may give someone a proper shock. The whole of the amplifier seems to vibrate even when no music is being played, and if you tap the surface it is placed on the power meters jump up....very weird thing it is...

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I think it is static, as it happens when i touch my bass amp which is in another part of the room. And its not a belter of a shock, but definately a shock rather than a tingle. And yes, i am a cheapstake, laminate not real wood fllors and i also have the heating on a fair bit.....

It was just odd that it seems to be happening more since i bought my new amp, so i think i will look at the earth wire on that as a first resort.ÿ

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Ha Ha i just got a shock of my clothes drier and that isn't even electric, it must be me. Clare we just must have more electrical energty than most.

Or cheap shoes.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Yep - no damp hands nearby, methinks (that isn't meant to sound as bad as it reads...)

emotion-7.gif

It's fine, don't fret...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts