Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) [Blu-ray] available to pre-order

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Gel and others,

One thing to bear in mind is that Sainsburys may set aside the purchase price from your bank account when you pre order, the money is not taken until despatch but is not available in your account either. When i checked my account this morning i thought it was a bit strange that £55 had disappeared until i read the t&c's on the Sainsburys website which confirmed that the money is held, here is the section in their t&c's:

"We will not charge your credit or debit card until we despatch your order. Your card issuer may reserve funds in your account against the order. If your order is cancelled, your card issuer will not instantly release those funds as it is standard Banking practice to wait for the original authorisation to expire. Please contact your card issuer for details on their policy."

Not a big issue i know but thought it was worth pointing out just in case some people need the money in their account, bit strange also as i've never had this happen with a pre order from any other site.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Gel and others,

One thing to bear in mind is that Sainsburys may set aside the purchase price from your bank account when you pre order, the money is not taken until despatch but is not available in your account either. When i checked my account this morning i thought it was a bit strange that £55 had disappeared until i read the t&c's on the Sainsburys website which confirmed that the money is held, here is the section in their t&c's:

"We will not charge your credit or debit card until we despatch your order. Your card issuer may reserve funds in your account against the order. If your order is cancelled, your card issuer will not instantly release those funds as it is standard Banking practice to wait for the original authorisation to expire. Please contact your card issuer for details on their policy."

Not a big issue i know but thought it was worth pointing out just in case some people need the money in their account, bit strange also as i've never had this happen with a pre order from any other site.

Interesting - cheers for the info.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

Just been looking back through this thread, forgot to thank you Clare for finding out the soundtrack - many thanks. Thumbs up.

Jamboman

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Is there any difference between the split versions of the blu ray and the full box set? I'm considering buying all 6 movies however there are a number of reasons why I would prefer to keep the holy trilogy separate from the holey trilogy.

Jamboman

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Oh and one other thing, Tesco are offering 15% off star wars DVDs and Blu Rays plus 8% quidco which equals....

£67.49 x 15% off x 8% quidco = £52.78

D

Deleted member 2457

These are on demo now in HMV - they look quite good. I've still got my order in at Sainsbury's, at present I'm not sure whether I will get the film cell or not. Personally I'm not bothered either way, but I'm definitely not paying any money for a film cell that's for sure, but if they include it - then great.

D

Deleted member 2457

My order has been posted - still not sure about the film cell. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Hems said:
gel said:
My order has been posted - still not sure about the film cell. :)

Mine arrived this morning, whoop.

Havent opened it but is the film cell something you get depending on where you ordered it from?

Hi

I'm not entirely sure with the film cell, some places had it on pre-order without the film cell and most people were ordering it then and then they added the film cell later, but my description is still the same without the film cell, whether I get it or not I don't know. Most places that I've looked at have now included it in the description, so it will be interesting to see how fussy they're about it.

Cheers

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Just to cheer everyone up, more Lucas tinkering as of the 10th February 2012 the release of 'Star Wars: Episode I' in 3D with the rest to follow.

Anyone else out there for more Star Wars rip offs, or not, depending on your point of view?

Sliced Bread

f1only said:
Just to cheer everyone up, more Lucas tinkering as of the 10th February 2012 the release of 'Star Wars: Episode I' in 3D with the rest to follow.

Anyone else out there for more Star Wars rip offs, or not, depending on your point of view?
Yet another reason not to go 3D :)

Tinkering can be good, if done well. A good example is Blade Runner where some scenes were touched up, but they were very subtle to the point where you wouldn't realise if you didn't know it was there.

Lucas seems to be happy to turn a masterpiece into a tacky cartoon.

I'll probably still end up buying it, then hating myself for it :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yep all 6 films to be released in 3d over the next 3 years which is 2 a year....of course the 3d bluray boxset will follow and i will hate myself for buying it yet again, i'm losing count now just how many times they have been released across the various formats. Of course there will be yet more 'tweaks' to adjust for the 3d format which i'm dreading...let me guess, more cgi extras where things move into the screen etc, noooooo!

A

Anonymous

Morrisons supermarket are doing the box set for 65 bucks saw them today .

D

Deleted member 2457

Got mine on Monday too, paid £54 from Sainsbury's way back and got the film cell included too - pretty pleased with that. :grin: The picture for me is a strong four out of five, some pictures look really stunning, others not so but for me that was always going to be the case anyway, because the DVDs were pretty good. The sound is definitely five out of five for me, it is really good and you hear everything and then some.

I've been listening to the sound on about -28db mainly and it is really loud but very clear, on The Empire Strikes Back I even went lower than that to -30db. Pretty pleased in all, and with the price and flim cell. :)

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Completely agree with you gel!

The original trilogy has a good but not great picure quality with alot of scenes still seeming to be a little soft and missing that pop that you get with a good HD image but they still look fantastic and are a clear step up from the dvds but as you say, the sound is top notch and i can swear i am hearing details i've not heard since i saw them at the cinema!

The newer (rubbish) movies have a superior picture with plenty of HD pop but that's exactly what i expected and again the sound is the big draw as it so engrossing in 6.1, infact, it's been a long time since i bought a bluray that makes as good use of the extra channel as Star Wars does but i wish they had gone the whole hog and done genuine 7.1 master audio!

Overall i'm very impressed with the quality of the set although the film 'cell' is a little weak and extremely small, tons of extras though and some lovely deleted scenes.

Overall score 9/10

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Arrived today, have had a quick shifty through and picture and sound on all films seems to be of good quality - certainly the best the films have ever looked or sounded. Must stress that I haven't watched any yet (might be a while before I find time to do this), but I'm not disappointed by what I've seen so far except for...

bigboss said:
Going by this news, expect more releases of "The Complete Saga" in the future!! :wall:

This is indeed true - both the call by Obi-Wan in the original New Hope and Darth Vader's "Noooo!" at the end of Jedi. It's not quite as comical as the end of Sith, but it's still unnecessary. One has to imagine George has a bet with people to see how much of the original trilogy he can change and still get people to buy each new release?

Still, as I grow older, I seem to be retaining less anger on these sorts of things and just looking forward to enjoying some, in the main, very entertaining films.

Sliced Bread

Ok I caved and bought it...but already a little disappointed. Just watched a few scenes to get an idea.

Picture quality on the original trilogy is good but not as good as some of the older bond remasters. From the newer trilogy, I was expecting top draw picture but while the picture was very good, it was not the best I've seen, with some scenes very Sharp and others oddly soft.

Sound quality on the original is excellent for such an old film, but while the newer ones sounded excellent, I can't help feeling like I was expecting a little more. I Think this was because I've spent the last week watching the lord of the rings trilogy at high volume which imo has better sound design than the star wars films.

I'd give it 8 out of 10, but I was expecting and hoping for a 10 out of 10. Still, its the best the.franchise has looked and sounded imo.

Sliced Bread

So after more viewing, I think my comments earlier were maybe a little harsh on the sound. These disks sound excellent... ...but.... ...I think I'm bored of the films. I found myself doing house work half way through a new hope. Also the years of changes have accumulated to cover quite a large portion of the films and those early CGI effects have not aged gracefully.

Disk faults: Several of the disks in my set seen to become pixelated as if they were corrupted. I took them to Tesco, who have refunded the 60 pounds, as they didn't have any replacements in stock.

Now I have a dilemma; do I buy it again, or let it be ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts