Standmounts that rock?

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I am really happy with my system, however ,I have never tried a decent pair of standmount speakers in my room (4m by 4.5m). What I intend to do is buy a pair and see how they compare against my GB1i's.

I will probably go the ebay route, so if I don't like them I can them sell them on without losing too much.

My budget will be up to £1k. I play mainly guitar based music indie/rock etc.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
If you sold the PMC and put a grand towards some Totem Mani II signatures you wouldn't want the PMC back.

From one very content Totem enthusiast!

A

Anonymous

What are you aiming for? What don't you like about the GB1i? The obvious choice would be the DB1i (which can be had for a steal at Lintone Audio on ebay) but I'm not sure whether they'll do anything for you.

If you go PMC route I would say (given I've heard the DBs) TB2 would be better suited for rocky-type music. Otherwise I'd look at Dynaudios - all Dyns really are party animals.
emotion-5.gif

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
igglebert:What are you aiming for? What don't you like about the GB1i? The obvious choice would be the DB1i (which can be had for a steal at Lintone Audio on ebay) but I'm not sure whether they'll do anything for you.

I just want to see whether a decent pair of standmounts sound better in my room. The PMC TB2+'s have interested me (bigger drivers) but I was outbid.

I am curious to see whether good standmounts might be preferable to equivalent priced floorstanders.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:all Dyns really are party animals.
emotion-5.gif

Yep and the Mani's are isobaric dyn drivers topped with a SEAS tweeter.
emotion-2.gif

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:If you go PMC route I would say (given I've heard the DBs) TB2 would be better suited for rocky-type music. Otherwise I'd look at Dynaudios - all Dyns really are party animals.
emotion-5.gif

Cheers PP, I will keep my eye out for used Dynaudio's, and yes the TB2's would defo be worth a punt.

SonofSun:

plastic penguin:If you go PMC route I would say (given I've heard the DBs) TB2 would be better suited for rocky-type music. Otherwise I'd look at Dynaudios - all Dyns really are party animals.
emotion-5.gif

Cheers PP, I will keep my eye out for used Dynaudio's, and yes the TB2's would defo be worth a punt.

Just seen these. They are slightly over budget but saves the pressure of bidding on auction sites.

http://www.dub-central.co.uk/products/pmc-tb2i-compact-monitor

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
SonofSun:
I am curious to see whether good standmounts might be preferable to equivalent priced floorstanders.

A good listening test to do, but the TB2+ are the next model down from your floor standers and a £500 difference. The Dynaudio Focus 110A could be interesting!

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
shooter69:SonofSun:

A good listening test to do, but the TB2+ are the next model down from your floor standers and a £500 difference. The Dynaudio Focus 110A could be interesting!

My reasoning is that floorstanders are probably more expensive to produce (more construction materials), so they are probably not really that different, quality wise. The TB2's have the bigger driver, which does interest me. I will certainly consider the dynaudio's though, thanks for the tip.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
What about EB Acoustics EB2s?

Recently pipped the ATC SCM11s in a head-to-head.

Nicely under your top budget too. (Just under £700 inc. delivery)

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Big Chris:
What about EB Acoustics EB2s?

Recently pipped the ATC SCM11s in a head-to-head.

Nicely under your top budget too. (Just under £700 inc. delivery)

Cheers BC, and I believe there is a 30 day money back guarantee, they are on the list.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Ah well if you you want the best (this is subjective) sub 1k stand mount to put against your !.5k PMC then from the current crop the EB's edge it!

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:SonofSun:

emotion-5.gif

Just seen these. They are slightly over budget but saves the pressure of bidding on auction sites.

http://www.dub-central.co.uk/products/pmc-tb2i-compact-monitor

Cheers, but I don't want to buy new as I would lose money if I had to sell them. Probably keep my eye on the bay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts