Standmount speakers for Arcam A28/Arcam CD73 : PMC or Monitor Audio (PMC DBi, PMC 22 MA GX100 or PL100 ??)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I am looking at upgrading my Arcam A28/CD73 system... My room is 4m x 3.5m - with wooden floors.

I listen to Jazz, Chillout, coldplay, John scofield, Gotan Project, Peter Gabrierl, Steely Dan, various unplugged.... etc..

Could you give me your experiences with the following speakers... btw... I am looking at two price classes :

Around 1000 GBP - PMC DBi or GX100

Around 2000 GBP - PL100 (used) or PMC 22

Have any of you auditioned these speakers ? Which of these speakers is going to "blow me" away?

Thanks

Mark

Not heard the A28 but if it is like other Arcs, PMC DB1is or MA GX range would be superb. The PL range will be a waste IMO. They need an amp like Leema Tucana or a Levardin or Plinius to make the most of them.

Had the DB1is on home dem with my old Arc amp and they sounded superb. MA is a dream match IMO.

Not heard the new Twenty series yet, so can't comment.

Alternatively, Dali and Focal are fabulous matches with Arcam.

A

Anonymous

Definitley consider:

MA GX0s and 100s

KEF R100s and 300s

B&W PM1's (2nd hand obviously)

Neat Motive 3's

PMC DB1i's

The A28 is a solid amp and with bags of power but can be a bit overly smooth at times. This is more apparent when heard side by side with the A38 IMO

The Arcam CD73 is a good CDP but again can be fairly smooth but still very detailed so I'd personally look at speakers that will liven up the sound a bit (i.e. those mentioned above)

I personally dont think that the MA PL100's would be wasted on the A28. Heard them with my old Arcam Alpha 10 integrated and the FMJ A38 and they sounded fantastic. BUT I do agree that to get the best out of them they'd be better bi-amped

A

Anonymous

I have heard the pmc 22 and they are fabulous, I am sure that they will blow you away.

but:

Can I suggest that you audition a pair of ART emotion monitor speakers. They're not easy to find and they don't look spectacular in pictures (although they are quite impressive in the flesh) but they are the most amazing speakers, and you can get a second hand pair for £2k, it's what I paid for mine. The only way I could describe the sound is musical. I compared them to a variety of speakers (neat, naim, wilson benesch, atc and guru) and i was completely blown away from the first listen and they can still almost bring me to tears 18 months later.

They are one of those esoteric brands that get no coverage in the main stream hifi press, but which are beloved by anyone who has heard them. They are rarely discussed on this forum but try and audition if you can. I am sure you won't be disappointed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts