Standard def performance issues with Sony Bravia 40V4000 tv set. Please help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear All, This is my first time using this forum and i'm hoping for the best!

Before i write below i must make it clear i am a novice when it comes to LCD tvs. I've just replaced my CRT with the new Sony mentioned above. If anyone can provide any advice it will be much appreciated.

Here goes:

I have purchased a Sony Bravia 40V4000 tv which which was installed this weekend. A tv that was recommended by the What Hi Fi magazine in fact. I do not use the analogue or freeview channel embedded within as I watch everything in digital through my Sky+ box (this is connected via scart cable). I also have my xbox 360 connected by a component lead (I think that's what they are called - the blue, red, green leads - I don't use the yellow. My particular Xbox does not allow me to use an HDMI lead for some reason).

Also, and this may be important - I watch the Sky feed through my AV1 channel. I don't think I have the leads to watch it through any others. Does this matter?

My problem - and it may be something that cannot be fixed - is that the Standard Def picture is really unacceptable. I understand that the 'motion blur' (for want of a better description) will happen to a degree on all LCD tvs but it seems rather excessive to me - considering that I have bought a new Sony model. The picture kind of trails or breaks up - I'm sure you know what I mean here. A good example would be watching football - not only does it break up and blur on screen, the general picture looks soft as soon as you turn this channel on.

My questions are:

Does this particular tv have an issue with Standard Def performance? Certain channels are ok, ie BBC Three. This has a few issues but more in line with what I would expect. But others ie BBC1 are very bad. I've noticed the problem with 'smudging/blurring' occurs more in dark scenes. Bright scenes seem to clear things up. Also 'Theatre' setting clears things up a little but makes the picture look rather soft - and I'm not after that either. I understand that different channels have different signal strengths but I still think something is wrong.

Could I clear this problem up by upgrading to Sky HD? I realise that HD is a better picture in itself but will the new box (with the perhaps newer/improved technology) plus an HDMI lead rather than the scart I have with my Sky+ box give me a better standard def picture along with the HD channels?

Could I just buy a better Scart lead for my Sky+ box? Or are Scarts all of similar quality?

Also i have an issue regarding my xbox 360. And this is by no means as important as the issue mentioned above. As mentioned before I don't have this connected by HDMI lead as my early box doesn't have the port that would enable this. In the case of my Xbox 360 i can see a significant improvement in the picture. In fact it is extremely well details, rich and sharp. However when playing (for example) Dead Space, although the picture and sound is superb it does tend to ghost or leave a trail when you make swift movements in the game such as spinning around. Is this something that I will not be able to fix? I can tell that the HD aspect is working (I have changed the xbox settings and turned on the HD function on the lead). My tv is set to 1080p on the component channel so I have it on the highest possible setting. - whether this is right i'm not sure. I hope you can provide some advice here. If there's nothing else I can do then so be it. Is there a particular setting for gaming?

Thanks in advance for all your help on this. Sorry for all the questions but I'm really struggling with it all. If you can provide any advice at all you'll cheer me up significantly! The tv was installed by representatives from Comet but it seems that now I've had some time with it to check the channels in more detail I'm spotting problems that I didn't notice at first. How i didn't spot the Standard Def problems when they were installing the set i'll never know. My parents have a Sony Bravia model as does another friend who lives down the road from me - theirs are both older sets (at least two years) and they do indeed have Standard def issues but not as bad as mine.

Many (many) thanks!

Glen

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi Glen

Check out the thread "sd on the new Sonys" I think it covers most of what you want.

First thing, go into the menus and turn off all the sharpening and other "enhancements" and I suspect you'll find an immediate improvement

A

Anonymous

Thanks Visionary. I thought there might be a thread on this somewhere. I'll also take your advice and make sure i turn all the enchancements off. Although i'm not sure that any of them are turned on. We'll see. I'll let you know if this works.

Thanks very much.

Glen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts