squeezebox advice for a doofus! :)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So...If I bought a Squeezebox Touch and hooked it up to my Sony STR DA2400es amp,I have a BT wireless connection and a pretty quick PC....Am guessing the Sbox hooks up to the amp via co-ax or optical.....what's the best way to store the music on the PC (windows media??)and how does the Touch "talk" to the PC...ethernet or wireless? I don't use iTunes and I don't want to compress anything.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Have a look here:

http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/products/squeezebox-touch.html#tab2

The Squeezebox can hook up to your amp as you say or even RCA.

You can store music on your pc in various formats as shown in the spec, I go for FLAC (lossless compressed) But as you say you don't want to compress anything you may want to use WAV (Windows's equilivant of PCM) however FLAC reduces the file by around 30% without loss in quality so it's worth considering.

The Touch will connect to your router and the router will be responsible for transmitting data between the music on your pc and the touch. You need to install Squeezebox Server on your pc and tell it where your music files are. SB server will organise your music collection ready for transmitting to the touch. You need SB server running on your pc for playing local music. There are internet based music solutions which does not require your pc to be on (my squeezenetwork) you can listen to internet radio and even store some of your music online via MP3Tunes Music Locker.

Hope this helps.

Matt

ps you can connect either wired or wireless to your router - wired of course would be more stable.

nads

Store the music on your PC or a NAS as FLAC if you are using one of the other Squeezeboxes.

When the Touch is released, maybe sometime this year, you can attach a flash stick/usb external harddrive and play your music from that.

Be aware that the Touch is waiting for the release of the 7.5 version of Squeezecenter (squeezeserver) and this is an unknown other than that there IS a release date.

connection wise as above.

A

Anonymous

Definitely go for FLAC over .WAV as .WAV files will be huge ! This could be a problem if streaming wirelessly over a poor connection.

Squeezecenter is a doddle to use btw.

A

Anonymous

thanks to all of you,definitely think this set-up will be the way forward.I guess you get to a certain age when you have too many discs hanging around the house!!!

nads

Latest info on release date.

A while ago you have ordered the new Squeezebox Touch on our store. We
are working hard on the release of this new product and we want to
ensure we ship a high quality product. Although it is hard to give an
exact date, we expect the product to be ready in the April-May time
frame.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts