SQ on Samsung S2 vs Iphone 4

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I am wondering if anyone got the opportunity to compare the sound quality of Samsung Galaxy S2 and Iphone 4. I have an option to upgrade to anyone of these and for me key priority is the sound quality as my phone is the major source for listening.

I know WHF review does state S2 has Exceptional picture and sound but not sure in comparison with iphone 4 on purely sound quality if it is better, there is no question on video quality.

One more thing anyone know what sort of DAC/audio chip used in S2 and IP4 and if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, we directly compared the two. When we printed the review in the magazine (August 2011 issue), the headline read: "The first Galaxy beat the iPhone 4... and this one's even better".

The performance difference is greater with video, but the sound excels, too - especially if you take advantage of the Samsung's ability to play FLAC files.

As noted in the in-mag and online review, however, do ensure you use decent headphones - and avoid ones with an inline Apple control.

[PS - I've moved this thread into a more applicable Forum for future reference]

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Clare for your clarification, however I have one more question about the battery life of S2 while playing audio. I have read on several forums about poor battery life of S2 while playing audio files some users experience the device get very hot and at max it runs out of battery in 4-6 hours.

When WHFS&V reviewed the S2 were there any experiments done on battery life of S2 in video and audio mode? For me it's very critical as sometimes I have to commute on train for two hours one way, and if audio playback sucks the power out in 4-6 hours then I have very little use to do other stuffs.

Thanks.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Some people claim the Wolfson WM8994 DAC in the original galaxy gives better audio than the Yamaha DAC in the S2. Some claim the iPhone gives the best sound quality over them both and others disagree. Earlier Apple products use wolfson DACs but the iPhone 4 uses the Cirrus Logic 338S0589. Again some people have preferred the Wolfson over the Cirrus and others not. They all sound like portable music players to me, no more no less. Some decent not too hard to drive headphones and they all sound alright.

Some technical measurements on the iPhone and Galaxies here:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9100_galaxy_s_ii-review-597p8.php

iPhone vs Galaxy audio quality from a hardware perspective

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s_vs_apple_iphone_4-review-500p6.php

I would say the battery life thing is complete rubbish based on day to day use (or may have been an earyl release software bug), but I will test. My S2 battery is on 84% at 16:30 and has started playing music at full power through headphones. I will get back to you later with how hot/drained it is.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
OK so 3 hours later. The music was full blast through headphones. The phone was set for normal use with a couple of widgets and standard wallpaper. The battery level is 68% and the phone has no signs of heat.

16% drop over three hours. It should give 18 hours of music. More if battery saving techniques are employed and the volume isn't blasting. Less the more you use your phone obviously.

The iPhone should do more hours though.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your input I guess the earlier comments I read on battery life could be due to earlier firmware issue or one-off set issue. Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts