Spotify vs Tidal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SteveR750

When Amazon launched the HD tier I spent a 3 month free trial doing A-B comparisons with Tidal Masters and some fairly resolving headphones. Amazon has slightly better sound quality but the terrible interface made me keep Tidal. I'm a Prime customer and have been for almost 12 years so I'm already in the Amazon ecosystem.
Interesting conclusion. It's debatable whether anyone can hear the difference between bit perfect output, or not as happens with the Amazon app. In truth, I'm not sure I can hear the difference between W10 resampling, or direct; or between Tidal or Amazon; but for the fact that the Amazon app is simply deceiving is enough for me to not use it. I'd rather my £££ go to Tidal tbh if they sound the same. One thing is sure, if an app is streaming direct then you can have some confidence that the presentation is more accurate, even if you don't like the experience!

CatVsGrizzly

Nov 25, 2020
Visit site
I usually stream music from my samsung S7 to my Charge 3 and listen at 320kps (or compatible) qualities. With this set up I found Tidal's rips sounded substantially inferior to Spotify and Deezer. The sound was more muffled, rogue frequencies masked music and trebles were prematurely rolled off. Even listening to Youtube sounded more pleasent. Maybe the Tidal formats dont convert well though the SBC bluetooth audio codec? In saying that, spotify and deezer still sounded great on the Charge 3.
With the limitations of the Charge 3's SBC codec, I couldn't make good use of tidal's hifi or masters formats (they downgrade like crazy).
For my really basic set up, I found spotify and deezer the way to go. I'm surprised how pleasant their lossy formats sound : )

An alternative to Tidal, assuming you're OK with the ethics, is Amazon HD. If you're a Prime subscriber, then it's £13 a month and access to CDA and 24/96 hi res tracks. The app is nowhere near as slick as Spotifys or Tidals, but it works, and worth the saving.

I'm a Prime member and have Amazon HD. They have a yearly payment option -£129. That works out at just £10.75 monthly equivalent. I use it with a Node 2i and Qutest external dac. The Bluesound app is clunky and takes some getting used to after the excellent Spotify app but sonically Amazon HD is light years ahead of Spotify especially with good components.

toon10

Jan 14, 2021
Visit site
I couldn't tell the difference on my old setup (Monitor Audio silver 6 with Yamaha RN-602). Given TIDAL's limitations, I stuck with Spotify. Now I have a Naim Nova, everything sounds better so I was going to try TIDAL again. My speakers are producing a lot more detail than they were.

That was before I heard about lossless coming to Spotify. I don't think I'll bother now. Hi-Res doesn't concern me too much. I believe only 10% of TIDAL's library is Hi-Res (happy to be corrected) and I'm not into a lot of mainstream stuff or Rap/R 'n' B which is what TIDAL does best. Their library is missing too much for me to consider signing up.

habu77

Oct 10, 2020
Visit site
I couldn't tell the difference on my old setup (Monitor Audio silver 6 with Yamaha RN-602). Given TIDAL's limitations, I stuck with Spotify. Now I have a Naim Nova, everything sounds better so I was going to try TIDAL again. My speakers are producing a lot more detail than they were.

That was before I heard about lossless coming to Spotify. I don't think I'll bother now. Hi-Res doesn't concern me too much. I believe only 10% of TIDAL's library is Hi-Res (happy to be corrected) and I'm not into a lot of mainstream stuff or Rap/R 'n' B which is what TIDAL does best. Their library is missing too much for me to consider signing up.

I went back to Spotify from Amazon HD. I just had it with the clunky apps (yes plural) I have to use to just listen to music. The HEOS app only plays the high res music but is unworkable, doesn't show the Amazon playlists, predictive text is missing, works with an annoying and illogical queue system. The AMHD app plays the playlists and shows recommendations etc., has to use the Alexa HEOS skill to be able to play on my NR1200 but it doesn't play high res, frequently crashes and keeps on playing and then I have to start the Alexa app so the AMHD app realises it's still on the air. When Spotify announced its HiFi tier I immediately cancelled AMHD and went back.

Don't get me wrong, AMHD's sound quality is awesome, (yes, I do hear the difference even with my budget setup), but the stupid to and fro between apps was often rage inducing and that is not the point of listening to music. Listening to music should be a joyous occasion and not make you want to break stuff and the absolutely shitty user experience of AMHD was just doing that.

So I will be content with and bear the lesser sound quality for a few months until Spotify rolls out the HiFi tier and all will be good...

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Iv been with Spotify, Tidal hifi. Deezer hifi, apple and Amazon hd.
1 million percent the lossless options beat apple and spotty. I jump between deezer and Tidal using offers and deals. (Plenty email addresses)
Amazon was a nightmare using Bluetooth kept stopping and disconnecting but when downloaded I find the 3 lossless Iv used to be similar enough in sound quality. Deezer and tidal are the best Iv used.
Comes down to price. Deezer 15 quid tidal 20.
Iv just finished a tidal offer if 3 months free so went to switch to deezer last night to save a 5er but on the cancel screen Tidal offered me a 20% reduction for three Month so Iv taken that. (15.99)

I’m hoping Spotify he is going to be 15 and tidal follows suit if not I’ll be a deezer man.
Iv never tried a dedicated streamer just Bluetooth which I’m happy with but would like to try a wxad-10 or something like to see what difference it makes.
I don’t think the tech has caught up with demand yet and believe in a year or 2 we will have more options for streamers at less money then bluenode sound etc. Anyone used wxad-10?? Is it worth the dollar.

Niallivm

Oct 28, 2019
Visit site
I use Qobuz, which I think has the edge on sound quality (none of that MQA nonsense) and price (£149 a year so £12.42/m). The apps aren't perfect but they're improving

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Does everyone realise that they won’t get hi res over Bluetooth? Either laptop into dac or a dedicated streamer are the only way.
I know I won’t be getting full repro but sure AirPlay does lossless quality? That’s my big concern see Iv looked at a Yamaha wxad-10 as a streamer but some say it’s not worth it. I’d like a blue sound node but don’t want to pay that much. What’s your take on it all??

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Airplay is lossy also. I think from memory it is less lossy than Bluetooth. The manufactures are doing a great job with those little yellow ”hi-res audio” stickers on everything including bluetooth anc headphones. They are misguiding consumers. I have just this minute ordered a node 2i. This will allow tidal connect and I am hoping Spotify hifi when it comes. So it will be phono leads from node 2iinto the back of my amp. There should be no need for any dac. Think it will arrive on Saturday. Looking forward to trying it..

will report back. 👍

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I definitely see a huge hole for small footprint low cost quality streamers. Bluenode seems the starting point at the minute but at 400 bangs of the gong I just can’t justify it in my set up, we’ll see. That little Yamaha gizmo is just over 100 but not sure on it’s true capabilities and don’t want to rush in. But back to theme topic when people say Spotify sound no worse then lossless even over Bluetooth I think is crazy.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Sooo... Hooked up the Node 2i last night. It arrived yesterday afternoon. Initial impressions are certainly very good. I have connected it to my Pioneer SC LX82 via phono leads.

I have played several tracks via Tidal and a couple through Spotify.

coming from airplay the difference is quite incredible. Tracks that are cd quality sound more accurate, better soundstage and certainly more detailed...

MQA is harder to tell a differenc. I will have to carry out some AB tests.

so airplay to Apple TV into amp via toslink was the route before. Node 2i via phono to amp is the route now. BIG DIFFERENCE for the better. Not tried bluetooth either.

john

Shildondurham

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Sooo... Hooked up the Node 2i last night. It arrived yesterday afternoon. Initial impressions are certainly very good. I have connected it to my Pioneer SC LX82 via phono leads.

I have played several tracks via Tidal and a couple through Spotify.

coming from airplay the difference is quite incredible. Tracks that are cd quality sound more accurate, better soundstage and certainly more detailed...

MQA is harder to tell a differenc. I will have to carry out some AB tests.

so airplay to Apple TV into amp via toslink was the route before. Node 2i via phono to amp is the route now. BIG DIFFERENCE for the better. Not tried bluetooth either.

john
Awww Howay man I’m trying to talk myself out of getting one!! Why do you have to be so positive. Wish they were £100ish just don’t want to spend 400 at the min. Nice update though good to hear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts