Spotify is causing dust to settle on my CD collection!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:My CD collection still rules.Spotify is OK for trying out new music, and I use it regularly for that purpose, but I couldn't use it as a main source. Sorry, but CD is better.

Couldn't agree more. I use Spotify very infrequently at home, although use it at work sometimes.

John Duncan

JoelSim:
matthewpiano:My CD collection still rules.Spotify is OK for trying out new music, and I use it regularly for that purpose, but I couldn't use it as a main source. Sorry, but CD is better.

Couldn't agree more. I use Spotify very infrequently at home, although use it at work sometimes.

So is that just ash on your CD collection then?

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:

sorry guys but i think spotify premium is just as
good as cd ,and sometimes betters the early cds i have from the 80s and 90s,
and my system is not that bad i use cd transport mf dacv3 ca dacmagic
mf x-can v3 headphone amp mf monos

rogers ls35a and mission753s, i really struggle to tell any differences in the music playback between spotify and my system and
also flac the differences are subtle to say the least imo,
i am now using internet based music 90% of the time and dont worry any
more about the very subtle and expensive differences that hi fi makes,
internet music will get better and better as time goes by and soon we all will
be into it,. imho..

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Streaming will NEVER be my main source. CD (and eventually SACD again) will always be my main format of choice.

Long live the mighty silver disc!!

Second that mathewpiano but for me long live the mighty BLACK disc!!

A

Anonymous

CD's will always rule. i would rather not rely on being connected to the internet and having a computer on just to listen to music. cd's are higher quality even it is hard to tell between 320kbps and cd quality. plus with a cd you physically have something in your hands. i prefer that...

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I went premium on spotify and created a "new discoveries" album and drag and drop bands that I come across and like. At present I have about 25 bands, each with numerous albums to their name, who Im really enjoying right now. I have to admit I would prefer the cd version to rip lossless but sadly the list is too long now to be viable to my bank balance!!

What I have found is that the related artist is a bit naff so I go to amazon, look at the album in particular and they have a "customers who also bought this..." bit that is brilliant for related bands.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:My CD collection still rules.

Spotify is OK for trying out new music, and I use it regularly for that purpose, but I couldn't use it as a main source. Sorry, but CD is better.

How does the squeezebox compare to your CD replay Matthew? interested as I do find using the lap top a bit annoying at times.

I always thought exactly the same about CD but was just sitting at home listening and realised how long it had been since I had got up off my bum and put a CD on, makes me think I am not so attached to them as I thought I was!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
All Spotify is doing for me is making me spend money and use my CDP more!

I'll check out somebody's recommendation on Spotify (if they have it.
emotion-40.gif
). And if I like it, I'm straight onto Play.com to buy it on CD!

A

Anonymous

I mentioned this on another thread. If you use Spotify you should use Spotibot playlist generator with it. Type in a band you like and it will generate a playlist of between 5 and 50 songs of similar stuff. You can then just drag the playlist over to your Spotify playlists. Its brilliant!

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Streaming will NEVER be my main source. CD (and eventually SACD again) will always be my main format of choice.

Long live the mighty silver disc!!

do you believe there's still life to come in SACD them, Matthew?

I notice that the latest wave of BD players seem to be offering SACD playback. I only ever bought a few discs because I ended up changing to a player that couldn't handle them. Could be persuaded back if it's really going to happen this time.

matthewpiano

It depends on musical taste really. In the classical and jazz worlds it has never really gone away.

My problem is that the CD players I really like mostly don't support SACD. It might be the thing that would put me onto a Marantz SA7003 instead of a Rega Apollo in the longer term.

johnnyblue

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Nick21:We use spotify free but find i soon run out of my 2 gig download, and it slows down and wont play. We live at least 3miles from our exchange and only get a speed of 572kbps at the best of times. Our provider is Plusnet and we pay £10.00 pcm, any idea's for better speeds and more gig for not much more money? Who do you use and what speeds/gigs for downloading.

We're with talk talk and are virtually at the end of the line for out local exchange - the next village along has it's own exchange! We used to only get 0.5mbps but I got a local phone engineer in, ex-BT, and for £25.00 he fitted a booster to our phone jack and went up in the loft and made sure the connection from the external line was switched to the relevant phone jack (we have 1 in the office/spare room and one in the living room).Don't know which worked best but we now get between 4.5 - 5.00 mbps.Huge difference.Well worth 25 quid, although you can buy the booster for about a fiver and do it yourself if.It's pretty easy, I tyhink.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts