Spotify hi-fi

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
This is something I'd be looking fwd to if the rumours are true. Wasn't sure if it's the right place to put the post but then Spotify does call it their hi-fi package.

What do ye think about this proposition?

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
If it sounds as good as Tidal which I switched to from Spotify because it was twice as good in terms of sound quality then I'd definitely be interested - especially if the price is right

jjbomber

muljao said:
This is something I'd be looking fwd to if the rumours are true. Wasn't sure if it's the right place to put the post but then Spotify does call it their hi-fi package.

What do ye think about this proposition?

Step in the right direction. Spotify has been losing millions, so they get to double their income. In countries like Sweden, 90% of music is now streaming, so the demand will be there. Will the public want the higher quality? Not sure, as tests prove that a lot of people can't tell 320 from CD. It will be all down to the marketing department.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Not sure, as tests prove that a lot of people can't tell 320 from CD. It will be all down to the marketing department.

Agreed. Biggest trend for half a century has been consumers chosing convenience over quality, probably starting with cassette recorders, and blipping only with CD players which gave both. I can't ever see premium-priced streaming services being anything but niche. Good luck to them none the less.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm surprised - to me the difference is obvious - considering some of the arguments/discussions that occur on the site re equipment (speakers active/passive etc, amps, cd players, streamers etc).

I have Spotify - it's very convenient and sounds very nice - but lossless is better. I'm sure many others feel the same way. But each to their own - if people don't think there is a difference (or it's so small as to make no difference) I respect that too. I listen to all - and enjoy all!

vive le difference! tonky

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
knaithrover said:
If it sounds as good as Tidal which I switched to from Spotify because it was twice as good in terms of sound quality then I'd definitely be interested - especially if the price is right

I also switched from Spotify to Tidal. I've grown to love Tidal as it's grown and improved since its inception. But I do miss the lack of personalised recommendations that Spotify was sooo much better at. But for me, it was the SQ that swung it.

I've read some feel that Apple Music sounds slightly better than Spotify despite a slightly lower bitrate, which brings us back to the old nugget these arguments often fall back to: mastering. And that it why Tidal's MQA offerings really interest me because of the "A" of MQA.

But what matters to me may not amount to more than a hill of beans. What matters is how Spotify's turning its attention to CD-quality sound will affect footfall levels from Tidal back to Spotify and how this impacts the bottom line on their respective balance sheets. Despite Tidal's faults, it really has led the way as far as SQ is concerned and for that alone, I hope it hangs in there.

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a high end system but can hear a difference between 320 and Tidal. If the Spotify hifi is going to be £3 cheaper a month I can see a lot of Tidal and Qobuz customers switching

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chelstondave said:
I don't have a high end system but can hear a difference between 320 and Tidal. If the Spotify hifi is going to be £3 cheaper a month I can see a lot of Tidal and Qobuz customers switching

I can see folks switching for the interface not the 3 quid/month, equivalent of a coffee.

Still, MQA may yet be enough for some to stick to Tidal. I'm following the story but haven't committed.

jjbomber

muljao said:

Spotify have just added their 50 millionth paying customer, more than double anyone else. It's Friday so we must have a Cr-Apple advert at the top of the news, but I would have thought it worth a mention at the cost of a folding phone.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If it's going to happen. Linn's lack of Spotify Connect is infuriating! I use a get around with Chromecast Audio and it sounds good........ but not as good as FLAC cd quality from a NAS. Hope it happens soon!

iMark

Spotify Premium already sounds pretty good on our systems. But I really wouldn't mind CD quality for classical music. Actually, that would be great.

CD quality for over compressed popular music? If the CDs already sound like crap, they wil then sound like lossless crap.

manicm

MajorFubar said:
jjbomber said:
Not sure, as tests prove that a lot of people can't tell 320 from CD. It will be all down to the marketing department.

Agreed. Biggest trend for half a century has been consumers chosing convenience over quality, probably starting with cassette recorders, and blipping only with CD players which gave both. I can't ever see premium-priced streaming services being anything but niche. Good luck to them none the less. 

Google Play, and Apple Music both sound superior to Spotify. Spotify uses Ogg Vorbis instead of MP3.

Google Play sounds especially good.

TRENDING THREADS