• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Spotify Chromecast downgrading bitrate

Oct 12, 2016
Bit shocked to see this on Reddit:

Spotify High/Extreme now 256kbps for Chromecast/web player

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/6yimii/spotify_highextreme_now_256kbps/

Can't understand why they have done this

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Elliott Leishman said:
Phew!

Was making me consider my subscription and going completely tidal, as much as I like tidal it's catalogue is tiny compared to Spotify.

Just wish Spotify would hurry up with their hifi tier
Perhaps they do do that to get more folks subscribing to the to be launched (?) Lossless'ish service?

daveh75

Jul 31, 2008
Perhaps I'm missing something but the max bitrate of the Spotify web player has always been lower than desktop and mobile

Clicky

daveh75

Jul 31, 2008
insider9 said:
daveh75 said:
Perhaps I'm missing something but the max bitrate of the Spotify web player has always been lower than desktop and mobile

Clicky

Good point, but does this apply to Chromecast?
Presumably yes, if you initiate 'casting' from the web player.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
daveh75 said:

Clicky

Am glad of your direction to that page. I made mention of this on another thread yesterday, that the sound from my fire stick was not very good on spotify. This explains it all.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS