Splitting an HDMI into amp/TV.

planetgaffnet

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I've been asked to help a mate install a 3D home cinema set up. (I know what you're thinking, but no 'my mate' isn't me!) At the present time the 3D compenents he's purchased are a Samsung 50" TV and a Sony BDP-S570.

He'd already asked for receiver advice...he's seen/heard/likes my Onkyo TX-SR607, so I've simply told him to research the newer '608 model as AFAIK the '607 isn't 3D-Ready; I spoke to him this evening and he's said that at present he's reluctant to go to £450 for the '608 when he can get the '607 for around £250, so I said I'd do some digging.

My question here is if he was determined to go the '607 receiver option and, as the Sony BD player only has one HDMI output, could he use a splitter to route one HDMI cable into the amp for audio and a second direct into the TV? I'm reluctant to advise further as I simply don't know whether this will work. Plus it's 8.30pm on a Sunday.

I've seen splitters online, but these only seem to accommodate a lack of HDMI ins/outs rather than in this case, the wrong amp choice.

Thanks for reading
Cheers

Paul

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I recently bought a Cablesson splitter (£25) so that my amp can output to the projector and TV at different times, though it will also do concurrent outputs.

This seems to work fine, and I've had projector and TV on at once, just to see if it worked. There seems to be some potential issue around CEC with two outputs, and I've turned that off, but other than that it's seemed fine so far.

I reckon with something like that you woul be able to route the output to both places. It is stated to support 3D but I haven't tried it as my TV and projector don't support it.

Based on the reviews of the 608 I've read so far, it appears to be significantly better than the 607.

Which speakers has your friend got? If cost is an issue, why not look at the Yamaha RX-V667, Pioneer VSX-920 & Denon AVR-1911 which are in the same league as the Onkyo 608 but significantly cheaper?

I personally think that if you need 3D, then it's better to invest in a 3D capable receiver. Otherwise you'll need blu-ray player with twin HDMI ports like Panasonic DMP-BDT300 and Oppo BDP-93.

I'm sure the HDMI splitter will not work in this case.

planetgaffnet

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I can see his point about saving money...he and his wife around about 80% through a massive extending/remodelling of their house and he thought that he could simply route a 3D-BD player into a twelve year old CRT without any problem!

He just wants a den where he can watch a film in comfort and the old dining room is being converted. It's a decent size;about 15" square, so ideal.

Speaker wise he's looking at either the Boston Acoustic Soundware/Soundwave(?) or the Q Acoustics 2000 package.

P

Really depends on what his preferences are. If he envisages watching some 3D, then there's no cheaper way I'm afraid. The Yamaha RX-V667 should pair very well with the speakers he's considering & will cost only £100 more. In the long run, £100 really shouldn't matter. It's actually an investment, as he won't need to upgrade for a long time. Or postpone the AV purchase for a few months until he can buy a 3D capable receiver.

Or forget watching 3D & go for a cheaper receiver.

F

FunkyMonkey

bigboss:

I'm sure the HDMI splitter will not work in this case.

I initially thought this and then it said the splitter is 3D ready, so why do you think it would not work? Not doubting you, but I have the same issue, so if the splitter is a potential solution, I would not want to discount it without good reason.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Splitters are fine for splitting the video signal to two displays but remember when HDMI 'handshakes' the audio and video capabilities are determined, therefore if one of the devices is only capable of stereo over HDMI e.g. a TV, then that will be the result. If he wants to maintain 3D and HDMI v1.4 compatibility, then all his kit will need to comply.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'd also maybe go for the newer receiver with 3D. The sound quality has moved on also and it will be simpler.

However, I'm not totally convinced it won't work with the splitter.

Though I can see what you're saying with the negotiation the source can't negotiate with 2 devices at once so I think it must negotiate with the splitter, and the splitter then do the handshake with each attached device, which means there could be scope for it to work.

I suppose it's whether the splitter does some kind of negotiation based on the lowest spec of each attached device, or just forces the input signal to each, and lets them make of it what they will.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
It doesn't need to. The sound can arrive to the TV and be ignored, and the video can arrive to the amp and be ignored.

I still can't see how is it possible. It may be possible, but I think such options should be explored if you already have a non 3D capable amp. But if you're in the market for a new receiver, isn't be better to just go for a 3D capable one? The price difference is not massive. Also, you'll get 20% off speakers when you buy an AV receiver from Sevenoaks.

x01_246918.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts