Spendor S8e, Totem Hawk, Spendor S6e

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Following on from my previous thread, thought I bring you all up to date on my progress in purchasing a pair of speakers to go on the end of my Naim system. All IMHO of course.

B&W 8 series - all I could here was that tweeter cone thing, far to bright for me.

Totem Hawks - still a bit grating and those ball bearings on which they sit on means they are far to easy to fall over as demonstrated frequently during my home demo.

Spendor S8e -sounded fantastic in shop, at home far to much base bloom. Sounded leaden and muddled. Could,nt get them far enough from the rear stud wall, only about 25cms, realy needed 50cms. and far enough apart, only 1.5M, needed at least 2.5M

Tomorrow I,m swapping the S8e for S6e. Hopefully same tonal qualities, but more suitable for a smaller room..

Comments much appreciated if you think I,ve done something dumb with the S8e or if you think the S6e are no good.

A

Anonymous

The S6e is excellent. I hope they work in your room size, but if not, def try the 5 or even the SA1 (and perhaps a sub?)...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]The S63 is excellent. I hope they work in your room size, but if not, def try the 5 or even the SA1 (and perhaps a sub?)...[/quote]

one day you won't plug the SA1! (maybe in the next life) :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JAXON5"][quote user="igglebert"]The S63 is excellent. I hope they work in your room size, but if not, def try the 5 or even the SA1 (and perhaps a sub?)...[/quote]

one day you won't plug the SA1! (maybe in the next life) :)[/quote]
...I just did it again as well. I'm sorry. I'll shut up now...lol

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="JAXON5"][quote user="igglebert"]The S63 is excellent. I hope they work in your room size, but if not, def try the 5 or even the SA1 (and perhaps a sub?)...[/quote]

one day you won't plug the SA1! (maybe in the next life) :)[/quote]
...I just did it again as well. I'm sorry. I'll shut up now...lol[/quote]

actually i couldn't believe it! 4mins after i posted. lol

A

Anonymous

igglebert

I,m currently using a PMC TLIE Subwoofer with Elac Jet speakers. Do you think the PMC would be a good match for the Spendors. My local 7oaks thinks the PMC speakers would not suite Naim.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="FloJoe"]
igglebert

I,m currently using a PMC TLIE Subwoofer with Elac Jet speakers. Do you think the PMC would be a good match for the Spendors. My local 7oaks thinks the PMC speakers would not suite Naim.
[/quote]
Sorry but I don't know. If you like the sound of the sub, acceptable speed, etc, then I would suggest that it might work well. Try the SA1s and then decide whether further testing is required. They're not cheap but they're worth a shot.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="FloJoe"]
Following on from my previous thread, thought I bring you all up to date on my progress in purchasing a pair of speakers to go on the end of my Naim system. All IMHO of course.

B&W 8 series - all I could here was that tweeter cone thing, far to bright for me.

Totem Hawks - still a bit grating and those ball bearings on which they sit on means they are far to easy to fall over as demonstrated frequently during my home demo.

Spendor S8e -sounded fantastic in shop, at home far to much base bloom. Sounded leaden and muddled. Could,nt get them far enough from the rear stud wall, only about 25cms, realy needed 50cms. and far enough apart, only 1.5M, needed at least 2.5M

Tomorrow I,m swapping the S8e for S6e. Hopefully same tonal qualities, but more suitable for a smaller room..

Comments much appreciated if you think I,ve done something dumb with the S8e or if you think the S6e are no good.
[/quote]

Could you post a link to your previous thread?

My first thought was Neat but I don't know how you've arrived at your short list.
elitesenew_03.jpg

A

Anonymous

GPI

Post a link, sorry would,nt have a clue how to, just getting use to my betamax remote control !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the S6e home today to demo. Brilliant, still a bit to much base bloom at times, but I suppose I will have to comprimise as I can only get the speakers 20cms from the wall. Fantastic sound stage and dynaimic range. Really suites my Naim CD player, but I now need a new DVD player as my Sony DVD recorder sounds very, well poor. Now need advice on a musical DVD player that will suite Naim Pre/Power and Spendors and Roger Walters and Dave Gilmore. By the way, listened to some PMC small floor standers in 7oaks when I picked up the S6e, Spendor much better IMHO.

A

Anonymous

Hello FloJoe,
I currently use Arcam CD192 with Creek Classic 5350SE that drives Spendors S5e. Cardas Quadlink as interconnect and speaker cable. I have them set 2 meters apart 60cm from rear wall and 1 meter from side boundaries and I have to tell you that they sound amazing. Excellent control, speed and tone articulation. No fatigue in the long run. Spendors are generally very picky about placement ( I spent three months experimenting ) and if you have any room restriction that will not allow you to set them properly I would definitely go in other direction as you will not get their best. On the other hand spendors are perfect match for Naim. I listened to my S5e with NAP 250/NAC122 setup and it sound excellent however, for my taste, too bright and forward. Remember that most spendors speakers are not that easy to drive - my has 3.8 Ohms impedance minimum and that minimum is in the low octave which means that in the low power system you might see sound that is moved toward mids , and highs...... as the amplifier will struggle with supplying enough current for lows....

Art

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts