Spendor s3/5r Vs EB1 / EB2?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello – new here.

I'm in the market for some new speakers and have some experience (which might help your response) and am looking at a couple of options. I realise it's the combination of elements rather than one thing that creates the music though, but believe it's always possible to be objective.

My experience to date is B&W 303 (easy on the ear and fairly transparent, but unexciting and occasionally a bit woolly, may have had alot to do with the Marantz / Cambridge Audio I had plugged into them) – Castle ISIS (great midrange but harsh top end and generally a very boxed in 'soundstage' – again, possibly linked to the Creek 4040s2 they were driven by) – Quad 21L with Arcam Diva amp / CD / Chord cables (Extremely precise, wonderful on voices and electronic but very, very hard to place in my room).

I'm now running a much smaller set up of NuForce Icon as pre-amp into Temple Audio Bantam Gold via chord cables into Usher S-520's. The Ushers are great for their price (I paid £300), can be excellent with acoustic music where the voice is well mic'd, surprising bass for their size, but feel they lack the soundstage that I could be getting.

SO... I'm looking at Spendor s3/5r (or equivalent if I can't get hold of them), who seem to have an amazing pedigree but get the impression they split opinions between those who find them pure, transparent and easy on the ear and those that find them restrained and boring. I'm also looking at the EB1 or EB2, both of which have stunning reviews but seem to be sold only to those in the know, which sort of puts me off, as you're not sure if you're buying something that is only going to work if you have a degree in acoustics and the kit to match – I've tried getting information from blogs and forums, but owners and manufacturers alike seem reluctant to really say much, leaving the What HiFi review the only clear champion of them.

Does anyone out there have experience of both please?

A

Anonymous

Hello, I have read your post. You have chosen good brands. If you are not going to buy Spendor SP2 / 3 R2 then I would buy a pair of Arcaydis. I suppose that it must be like buying a suit of Ozwald Boateng. It is a bespoke product!.

The favorite words of Richard Allen, co-founder and speaker designer of Arcaydis are: "Don't worry!". Don't worry cadillac!.

If you are not sure you could give a glance (my english, excuse me) to ATC SCM 11.

Have a nice day. Best wishes from Salamanca, SPAIN!!!.

A

Anonymous

By the way, Arcaydis and E B Acoustics belong to the same group.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your thoughts
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

I have suggested to you the idea of buying a pair of Arcaydis, when your dilemma was buying ATC SCM 11 or EB Acoustics.

Obviously, my answer was referred to EB 1's or EB 2's. And I say this having in mind the reputation of the ATC. You are not going to be wrong.

Your elections to compare are first class products. I suppose that you are thinking about having a great loudspeaker and the possibility of saving money.

I am thinking about buying a pair of Arcaydis DM 1 or Monitor Audio BX 2. You should bear in mind the rest of you equipment, the dimensions of you room, the style of music that you listen to. Do you know, that kind of "torture" that produces a bit of pleasure, at the same time.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the amp, but from googling it doesn't look too powerful. I think you'd be better off looking for more efficient speakers. I suspect it may have issues with the scm11s. I'm not sure whether EB2s being a closed box would pose similar issues. Even the EB1s seem to be rated at 85db so you'd probably want a more powerful amp.

I reckon you might get better results by spending that kind of money on a new amp rather than new speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks both for your advice - the Ushers are rated at 86dB and the EB2 are 87dB - I know there's more to it than that, that 'volume' is not the same as 'weight' - the Temple is surprisingly capable for its size and power rating, with two gain settings (again, realise this isn't the same as 'weight' or loading) - I tend to listen at fairly low levels on the whole and am currently living in an unusually large, long room, but buying kit based on my realistic future spaces makes more sense (which is partly why I got rid of the floorstanders).

The bonus of the Usher's is they have a front firing port. I know this doesn't necessarily mean they are happy against a wall, but it does make them more true bookshelf speakers than most others with a reflex port. For that reason, the EB2's, despite their size, seem to be the right choice (although maybe they are unhappy close to a wall as well).

Maybe you can help out with the amp option? Temple Audio do monoblocks rated at 40w/c into anything down to 2 ohms - I've never used a monoblock set up - what I don't understand is how to control the volume of these!? I use the icon as a pre-amp which has a variable line-out. The Temple Bantam Gold is the 'power' amp. What I don't understand is normally, on an integrated amp you have a line level in and everything else is handled by the integrated amp. Would I need a separate volume control between pre- and monoblocks, or is it simply the variable line-out that does that job?

A

Anonymous

PS - yes - i'm looking for a great loudspeaker at around £600 (ish)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts