Spendor A6 with older Cyrus kit

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Demoed the Spendor A6 speakers a few days ago. Can't get them out of my head!
I have yet to try many other speakers suggested by forum members from my other post(s).
I have been told by two people who have used these speakers in a similar sized room to mine, 3.3M x 2.8M they they will be fine in this size room.
These speakers are totally different from the sound I have been getting for the past 10 years that I am bored of. They sound so different, warmer and more realistic. Still detailed yet not harsh.
As others have already said I need to try them with my kit.
I can try them on home demo or take my kit to them.
What should I do?

Should I spend hours demoing other speakers or just go for these? Obviously after a home demo!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I did a demo with a gentleman earlier who has owned B&W 700 series for years (either 703 or 704, I don't recall). Of all the speakers he tried, he liked the Spendor A9's and ProAc D28's. He commented that they were so much better than what he's been used to, and is coming back for a further demo on spa couple of other models. Most people seem to like the ProAc's, but the Spendors are the sort of speaker that you either 'get', or you don't. It seems like you get them, so audition a little more to make sure. If you think you've found exactly what you're looking for, job done, if you're still curious, try a few more out - it won't hurt.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks David. I really appreciate the advise and suggestions you have given with my last posts. I think I may have to demo the ProAc's just to be sure. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hi Fenner, i would just like to add that the A6s take a bit of time before you break their back to let them really sing. On that info you might find that if you do indeed choose the Spendors and set them up at home, they might not sound as good as you originally thought. I think that after 72 hours or so they really start to loosen up and jive.
emotion-11.gif
I really can,t fault them in terms of sound, it,s not an instant, in your face, wow mega bass, wow ice-cold treble kind of sound, more a true, enjoyable listen that can and will grip you for hours. Good luck. John

MikeToll

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
FennerMachine: They sound so different, warmer and more realistic. Still
detailed yet not harsh.

It is, as always, down to personal preference and I have not heard Cyrus kit but very recently I upgraded to A6's to partner my Leema Pulse II amp and Stream II CD player along with an Arcam tuner. The Leeema is described as lean, detailed and fast which is somewhat similar to what I have read about Cyrus kit and I must say I am bowled over by the sound the system produces and the speakers are not even run in yet though improving all the time.

So you must home demo them and being sensible you ought to listen to alternatives at home as well but if, like me, you love the Spendor sound then you will want the Spendors. As you say, detailed, dynamic, realistic yet not harsh which makes listening to them for hours none fatiguing and a real pleasure. Within the price range I could not ask for more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts