Spendor A6 - amp recommendations

strangeways

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Quite satisfied with the Spandor A6 but still looking for a suitable amp. I know, they are not too fussy and probably work with most amps. But as I am not too happy with my Class D amp (T+A Power Plant Balanced) anyway, I would try another one. Any recommendations?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sugden A21SE, if you like an organic and musical sound......ie. the opposide of sterile, clinical and forward.

It will depend on what music you listen to and how you like it presented...and of course, how much you are prepared to spend.

What is your Source?

BTW. Welcome to the forum. *bye*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Sugden A21SE, if you like an organic and musical sound......ie. the opposide of sterile, clinical and forward.

It will depend on what music you listen to and how you like it presented...and of course, how much you are prepared to spend.

What is your Source?

BTW. Welcome to the forum. *bye*

I agree with you regarding the organic sound of this brand

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Lots of people I know have Cyrus with spendor, always used to get demoed in shows together.

strangeways

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks! I think I tried a Sudgen once (in a shop, not at home) and liked it a lot. But I'm afraid I don't want to spend that much this time. I tried a few pricey (modern) amps during the last years but have to say that I was satisfied the most with an old Marantz 2270. Connected to my T+A are: Rega RP6 (with a Goldring 2500), a Dual 1019 from the late 1960s (with a Denon DL102) which I only use for mono recordings (singles, mostly).

strangeways

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I thought about Cyrus as I once owned a Cyrus CD 6 SE and was quite impressed with sound and quality. In this case I would need to buy an external phono am though.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I've heard the spendor a6r on a Cyrus signature system like mine and very nice indeed, but how about the Cyrus one. It's meant to punch above its weight and has a phono stage. If considering Cyrus maybe one to try, but with your decent spendors I'd be thinking better amps in one of the pre dacs and a stereo 200. Stereo 200 is class d but Sounds very nice.

strangeways

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Croft sounds interesting, read a bit about them, never heard one though (I think there are not too many dealers here in Germany). Can you recommend a model? Peachtree are mostly Class D, no?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
strangeways said:
Croft sounds interesting, read a bit about them, never heard one though (I think there are not too many dealers here in Germany). Can you recommend a model? Peachtree are mostly Class D, no?

Yes, but the Peachtree has a Valve Pre (which I think can be switched out).

I would look at the Croft Phono Integrated.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
strangeways said:

Yes, but the Peachtree has a Valve Pre (which I think can be switched out).

I would look at the Croft Phono Integrated.

For the price the Croft integrated is just brilliant, assuming it suits your speakers and personal preferences. The pre-power combination offers more power that presents as better control and better resolution.

If you can live with the bare bones nature of the design, these are exceptional products but bear in mind, dealers are few and far between and you are, in effect, dealing with a 'one man band'.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Range is thoroughly revised now. The new nova 150 & nova 300 no longer have the tube buffers. Both are excellent Amps with 150 & 300 watt output respectively. Though they have analogue line-in's, their basic design philosophy revolves around a all digital system end to end. That is where their inbuilt DAC's really shine. Their class D Amps are of course off the shelf designs, but are fine tuned to excell with their inbuilt DAC's. And the price is very very reasonable for what they do. They have a nova 500 coming out around Christmas. That is 500 watts per channel into 8 ohms at 3800 USD . Mouth watering price I would say :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts