Spendor A5R and A6R. How they sound?

Custodio Alexandre

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

How do you describe the sound of those new Spendor speakers? Compared to the old models?

Could someone compare the A5R vs A6R ? Does someone Listen to both ?

Thanks!

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I have some s6e (slightly different) now powered with naim 5si. I went from the nad 165/275 bee combo. All I can say is that they are different with naim and much better just to say that you never listen to the speakers alone.

It won speaker of the year with hifi choice too. A pretty safe bet IMO.

If I try to imagine how they sound based on measures, my own spendors and what I have read, they should go very low with bass and have tons of details. They may have a little 1khz bump (mine has) that makes distorted guitars edgy and if its your type of music be carefull on that. Another point you must check is the bass vs subbass the s6e and the a6 have great bass extension but at the same time limited bass so if you listen to electro with deep low bass in the mix youll think the speaker has tons of bass but on rock it feels thin. Make sure you try them with many music styles.

Custodio Alexandre

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello pyrrhon.

I own a pair of Spendor A5 and I like them a lot.

I was reading this review and that made me think about an "upgrade": http://www.hificorner.co.uk/blog/spendor-a5r-review/

I know that those reviews can be very subjective. I'm wondering If I'm going to like the "new sound" of the new Spendor A5R and A6R. I can't listen to them here in Brazil.

Once I read an opinion about the SPENDOR 100R and SPENDOR 100R2 speakers. Someone was explaining his preference for the older model. And that made me think.

My amplifier is an YAMAHA A-S2000. I l listen to mostly Jazz.

Thanks for the help.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I came back to this post because Im very interested by the a5r with its sealed enclosure. This could solve my positioning problem. There is also comments that a5 has more upper bass then a6 wich would fit my tastes better. Im very curious if anybody tried these and can compare with the a6r like the OP asked. How good is it ? Can it sing with 60watts ? Any information would be appreciated!

Another design interesting me would be proac studio 148 and there is not many reviews out yet.

Thanks

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
To my ears the new models are crisper and cleaner sounding than the older versions. There are gains in resolution and dynamics, though they're less forgiving of the partnering system. They need to be matched with more care or the treble begins to sound too forward.

Custodio Alexandre

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Good information Ketan. Thank you.
thumbs_up.gif
regular_smile.gif

I did a research. I asked some questions for the right people, and I discovered this:

1. The new Spendor A5R has a higher sensitivity. It is now 87db. The older model(A5) has 86db.

2. The Spendor A6R is taller than the Spendor A5R and could be considered a better option because of this.

The Spendor A5R looks like the Spendor D7 little brother. *biggrin*

Hi,

Cannot comment on how they compare with outgoing models as have only heard the A6R but I would strongly suggest you go and audition these with your own amp if you can if you are comptemplating buying either as, in my opinion, neither of these speakers would be a good match with that Yamaha particularly for jazz.

My opinion only mind you. You may find the sound perfectly acceptable.

Custodio Alexandre

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

In theory, that "combo", YAMAHA A-S2000 + SPENDOR A5, could be described as "dull" or "warm" sound.

But, there are also source and cables.

And, to my ears, that combination is sounding great for Jazz. Is there a better amplifier for the Spendor A5? Probably. But at what price/cost?

Here is how I descibe that combo for Rock music: I can listen to AC/DC for hours, with a moderate to high "sound volume" without any listen fatigue.

Here is the sequence of Sources and cables of what I'm doing with that Combo:

(Apple Mac Mini+Amarra+Flac 24/96) > Audioquest Carbon USB > (Musical Fidelity M1DAC-A) > XLR Blues Jeans Cable + TC electronic Potenciometer > (Yamaha A-S2000) > DNM Speaker Cable Solid Core Resolution > (Spendor A5).

Power Cord: Shunyata Venom 3 for DAC and YAMAHA.

Could the Spendor A5R be a much better option with that Source and Cables? I don't know and I couldn't listen to it before I buy.

Regards,

Custodio

Custodio Alexandre

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Just an Update:

I decided to change the amplifier instead of buying the new Spendors A5R.

And I have to say that my Spendors A5 "sounds" much better now.

I bought and LFD zero LE mk3 Integrated Amp: http://www.lfd-audio.co.uk/reviews/

Here is a video of them playing good music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keX1u0w7niw

Many thanks to everyone who helped.

*biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts