Spendor a5

robdmarsh

In feeling like wanting to scratch the itch of trying out some floor standers in my set up, these have come into view. They are an old model but look pretty fine.
Anyone experienced or own(ed) them?

matthewpianist

No experience with the A5, but I did have a pair of A1s. They were very even in response and gave a feeling of being as close to technical perfection as possible, but they needed to be used at high volumes to come alive, and even then I didn't find them especially engaging in anything but simple acoustic, singer-songwriter type music.

Some people love them, so if you can afford to take a risk (you'd easily sell them on again) or have the chance to audition, you may find they suit you.

Reactions: nopiano

robdmarsh

No experience with the A5, but I did have a pair of A1s. They were very even in response and gave a feeling of being as close to technical perfection as possible, but they needed to be used at high volumes to come alive, and even then I didn't find them especially engaging in anything but simple acoustic, singer-songwriter type music.

Some people love them, so if you can afford to take a risk (you'd easily sell them on again) or have the chance to audition, you may find they suit you.
Thanks Matt. One striking thing about these speakers is that they are tiny for floor standers and especially so for floor standers with a 2.5 driver array. They are also quite low sensitivity (some say 85db, others 86db) but minimum impedance doesn't drop very low, unlike my Titus which drop to 3.9 ohms. My Titus sound full and rich with volume dial at just past 9 o' clock on my Denon pma 800ne.

Auditioning may be a good idea, not too far away and price is very tempting.

Reactions: matthewpianist
I demoed the A5 alongside the SA1s with the Leema about 10-12 years ago. From memory they punched well above their tiny size, quite impressive. However they do need a kick-ass amp. Something along the lines of the Leema, mid range Regas (Elex-R or Elicit-R) as minimum I'd say.

Last edited:
Reactions: CheshirePete

CheshirePete

Oct 12, 2020
Visit site
Yes, I have owned these speakers, I would describe the sound as a little laid back, fairly warm sounding, perhaps lack a little excitement. Plenty of bass for a small speaker and built like tanks. You could listen to these forever without any chance of fatigue, probably go well with a class D amp.

As mentioned, they need tonnes of power.

Hope this helps

robdmarsh

Yeah you're right of course you're right. Haven't you seen? I wrote here that my perfect partner (I believe) would be the Esprit Gaia EZ but you can't find these for love or money in the UK. They are pretty much the floor stander of what I've got. Some online retailer in Slovakia (of all places!) have them in stock and say they would be about £1500 to import into the UK including import duties and taxes. Someone here said they are legit and not like other scam sites that crop up for time to time. :unsure:

robdmarsh

Yes, I have owned these speakers, I would describe the sound as a little laid back, fairly warm sounding, perhaps lack a little excitement. Plenty of bass for a small speaker and built like tanks. You could listen to these forever without any chance of fatigue, probably go well with a class D amp.

As mentioned, they need tonnes of power.

Hope this helps
Thanks for your reply. Reading further and with very useful input from replies like yours I've decided these are not for me.

WayneKerr

Yeah you're right of course you're right. Haven't you seen? I wrote here that my perfect partner (I believe) would be the Esprit Gaia EZ but you can't find these for love or money in the UK. They are pretty much the floor stander of what I've got. Some online retailer in Slovakia (of all places!) have them in stock and say they would be about £1500 to import into the UK including import duties and taxes. Someone here said they are legit and not like other scam sites that crop up for time to time. :unsure:
Yeah, your current stand-mounts with a couple of extra bass units thrown in for good measure :) I see Richer and Audio T are Triangle dealers, can they do nothing to assist you? Failing that there's a pair of Antal's on eBay for £2250 :)

robdmarsh

They must be the Antal 40th anniversary edition as that price is way too much. Unfortunately, for whatever reason UK retailers chose not to import the smaller Gaia model. I think this is a shame as there is a real market for good compact floor standers. Look at the success of the Dali Oberon 5.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I have a pair of the later model, the Spendor A5r, and I would assume that they have similar traits to the A5 . I bought them 2nd hand off the WAM a couple of years ago. Absolutely perfect for my front room, tucked away either side of a chimney breast. I have a Cyrus Lyric which is a pretty powerful beast and it is a lovely combination, mainly at lowish to medium volumes. They do go loud but never feel the need to push them too hard. I don't anticipate changing them any time soon.

WayneKerr

They must be the Antal 40th anniversary edition as that price is way too much. Unfortunately, for whatever reason UK retailers chose not to import the smaller Gaia model. I think this is a shame as there is a real market for good compact floor standers. Look at the success of the Dali Oberon 5.
Yeah, they must have been because on his website the std Antal are £1800. The only issue you will have with smaller floor-standers is how to get the tweeter to ear height, I had to make some 6" stands to get my BX5's to the right height.

If you must have the Gaia's then maybe a short trip over, or under, the Channel is required as there must be French dealers with stock :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts