Speed instability

It's been bugging me for a few weeks now, slight speed instability when listening to the turntable, first thought was the bearing, so I've oiled it a time or two, using only a few little drops at a time, for a short while it cured it, but then it would return, I did this a few times, and was beginning to scratch my head as to what was causing the issue. The only other thing I could think of was the motor. Was it faulty, was the belt slipping on the pulley? I was a unsure, then I had a thought, the small acrylic screws that fasten the pulley to the motor... Sure as hell, they were a little loose. Just gave them a little tighten (carefully) and now I'm back to normal. No more slip, no more instability.

Im still pretty much a novice when it comes to hifi. But it's put a smile on my face knowing that I've sorted it. (Eventually)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Nice one. I have to agree, considering how much your turntable costs, I too would have been sweating just a bit at the thought of a wallet-raping repair bill. Glad it didn't come to that.

The turntable, I took my time, read the manual thoroughly.

the advice was to not over tighten the acrylic screws as they could easily break! So, I probably aired a little to far on the cautious side, with good reason.

Now it's sounding as good as new, or better as I've changed the supplied cart for a nagaoka ts12. The clearaudio cart is just a little clinical, it's good, but I prefer the nagaoka. (For now)

SAM_0030_1.jpg

Here's a pic of it in action.

bigfish786 said:
The turntable, I took my time, read the manual thoroughly.

the advice was to not over tighten the acrylic screws as they could easily break! So, I probably aired a little to far on the cautious side, with good reason.

Now it's sounding as good as new, or better as I've changed the supplied cart for a nagaoka ts12. The clearaudio cart is just a little clinical, it's good, but I prefer the nagaoka. (For now)

Here's a pic of it in action.

I like the 'for now' bit. TT looks great by the way. Atacama stand?

Yeah, the atacama Equinox stand was an eBay bargain.

The "for now" quote is down to me swapping the carts I have every few months, just in case I'm missing something!

Again, the nagaoka was a real bargain, it has a musicality that the clearaudio slightly lacks in. Being a touch clinical, but still fantastic.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
My Nagaoka MP500 has a good few hours on now - yeah I love the sound not as forwards as a 10x5

BTW I like the look of your turntable - I just love turntables n' vinyl

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts