Speakers(?)

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Returning to Hi Fi after too long an absence. In a past life I was a Chord, Naim and Sonus faber owner! Alas, times have changed.

I now have a Sony SACD CD SCD-XE670, Cambridge Audio A1 and Eltax Floortsanders (Concept 200). I'm falling in love with music again and have set up a dedicated listening room. The room is 'bright' and starkly furnisheddecorated (laminate flooring, painted walls, rug and an armchair). The sound is quite warm, with an overblown lower mid bass. I have around £500 to spend, and I am looking at Speakers first, then an Amp...eventually a new 'Front End'. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Not averse to used or 2nd hand (I do love a bargain!)

Cheers guys.

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Is nobody able to offer sage advice on this? I would like to upgrade the speakers 1st and need suggestions on models to consider up to £500 or so.

I'm looking for a sound to counteract the rather 'live' and 'bright' listening room that compliments the fairly honest Amp. I listen mainly to acoustic 'folky' music and bass driven dance. I like a good 'bang for my buck' but wish to avoid the boomy lower mid and bass my current set-up presents.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

As stated, I'm not averse to buying used2nd hand.

ta,

Godfer

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
Do you want stand mounts or floorstanders ?
A good place to start would be the speaker review pages - Tannoy Mercury v4, Monitor audio BX5, KEF Q300 - so many to choose from.

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Cheers Kev,

Floorstanders are my aim. I've had stand mounts in the past and find them troublesome, and lacking focus. Which I feel will be compounded by the laminate flooring and 'bright' listening room.

I've been trawling eBay and Gumtree et al in search of used bargains and I am struggling. I live on Merseyside and there are no 2nd handused retailers in my immediate locale.

Any suggestions to retailerssellers?

I will read the reviews and continue to trawl the forum for ideas.

ta,

Godfer

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
You will find a list of dealers in the back of the What hi-Fi magazine. There is a Richer Sounds in Liverpool http://www.richersounds.com/

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I purchased my current the Amp and Speakers from Richer Sounds (amongst a myriad of other items over the years). In respect of new floorstanders, I find their 'choice' limited. Hence my desire to explore used2nd hand options. I have used Doug Brady (Warrington) in the past - alas, the Smithdown Road branch closed many moons ago - I shall contact 'em again and enquire of 'part ex' bargains!

I'm enjoying this!

Godfer

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Indeed! He (and his team) are very enthusiastic and knowledgeable! He has 'liberated' me of some serious money over the years, and provided me (through the components offered) with many a listening, pleasurable hour!

I sold my Chord Blu and Dac, Naim Amp set up and Sonus faber speakers some 5 years ago...single biggest mistake I ever made!

Godfer

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Godfer - I am a great fan of spendor speakers. You can pick up a decent 2nd pair of S5e 's on ebay for under that amount. They were 5* speakers a few years ago but got "replaced" by the A range of speakers.

Just had a quick look at e-bay - they have some S5e's on the go at the moment.

I think there are some great bargains to be had buying "last years" models.

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Ben,

I had an Arcam Delta 170.3 Transport and Black Box with and Audiolab 8000a and Epos ES11's - thought that system was great! Approached Brady's seeking an upgrade - I had an epiphany!

I ended up with Blu and DAC, Naim Pre, Power and Hi Cap with SF Grand Piano's - it was a majestic system! I auditioned many CD player systems and combo's prior to making my choice - the Chord combo was just so smooth; synergistic benefits really did result in the sum being greater than the parts - Doug's (and his team's) support and advice resulted in a truly wonderful system. I really regret its loss!

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Head is battered...I'm growing increasingly impatient! Current Elax Concept 200's are frustrating me greatly - the overblown upper mid and bass has me 'annoyed' as I re-aquaint myself with my music collection!

I need to audition new speakers soon...next weekend at the earliest! (Stifles an angry scream: help: ). Been trawling the web all week!!!!

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
satycool said:
You might want to look into ex-demo speakers. You can pick up £1000 speakers for almost half the price and inc warrenty!

Cheers,

I'm open to such...alas, there's a dearth of dealers here on Merseyside. Contacted Doug Brady and there's nowt going presently!! Had some options on eBay...with very optimistic expectations!

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
godfer said:
satycool said:
You might want to look into ex-demo speakers. You can pick up £1000 speakers for almost half the price and inc warrenty!

Cheers,

I'm open to such...alas, there's a dearth of dealers here on Merseyside. Contacted Doug Brady and there's nowt going presently!! Had some options on eBay...with very optimistic expectations!

You might want to check online: Svenoaks Audio and Vision Ex-demo. I got some great savings on my B&W PM1 speakers + PM1 Stands. Just call the shop and even try a little hangling ;)

http://marketing.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/clearance.aspx

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Having explored the further reaches of my cd collection, I can but conclude that my system is pants! Obviously the (appreciably) weakest link are the Eltax floortstanders - which was the focus of my original post. However, I now feel the Amp (Cambridge A1) simply isn't up to the job!

I have an initial £500 budget. Would you:

* buy speakers (keeping the A1); or

* buy an Amp and Speaker combo?

As previously stated, I am happy to buy used for value!

Your thoughts please guys?

Godfer

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Some Epos might be an eh .....epiphany, as some poster said. Don't forget your roomacoustics! Bit strange that you call it warm and bright. Positioning of speakers is also a point of attention.

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I guess I haven't articulated myself too well.

By 'bright' I refer to the room - which I now think is being exacerbated by the Amp - which is starkly furnished and has a large window along the 1 side of the room. The 'warmth' I identify is the speakers (Eltax bought 2nd hand off ebay) and suffering a bloated mid and bass!

The speakers are gone. The question is: do I use all of my budget on replacement speakers alone...or split it and get a 'new' Amp too?

I have seen a Rotel pre-amp and 2 Cambridge Audio P500's for a good price. What say you?

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
godfer said:
Hi,

I guess I haven't articulated myself too well.

By 'bright' I refer to the room - which I now think is being exacerbated by the Amp - which is starkly furnished and has a large window along the 1 side of the room. The 'warmth' I identify is the speakers (Eltax bought 2nd hand off ebay) and suffering a bloated mid and bass!

The speakers are gone. The question is: do I use all of my budget on replacement speakers alone...or split it and get a 'new' Amp too?

I have seen a Rotel pre-amp and 2 Cambridge Audio P500's for a good price. What say you?

Guys,

Can I enquire as to any thoughts on this!? I have the chance for a Rotel RC 970BX Pre Amp, a pair of Cambridge Audio P500's and Mission 737's at a great price (it seems).

Can anyone offer an opinionadvice?

Godfer

godfer

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Took a gamble on a £40 pair of Revolver 250 Floorstanders found locally on Gumtree...it was a mistake! After a cursory listen to confirm they 'worked', I got 'em home and set 'em up. They are a bright, forward speaker lacking any real bass weight and authority - irrespective of positioning, I've tried every which way!

They are going straight back on Gumtree...the quest (sans bargainous endeavour) continues. |(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts