Speakers to partner Rotel RA-01?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As above, I'm in the market for new speakers to partner my amp. I have been away from the hi-fi market for a while so not sure what's best any recommendations would be appreciated, my budget is £200 to £400. On another note, I have a Cyrus 2 amp which I would be willing to keep and swap back to once it's had a service if this helps. Oh, forgot to add they need to be bookshelf speakers that will be mounted on lead filled stands situated close to either side of a chimney column about 2-3 inches from the back wall. the room size is 4 x 4 metres (13ft) opening on to another 4 x 4 dining room.

A

Anonymous

Bowers and Wilkins 685s or CM1 would be great for you - they suit the amplifier and look incredibly good (especially the CM1s). Also consider the EPOS M12.2 which will gain you better timing but with a less sweet top end.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]Bowers and Wilkins 685s or CM1 would be great for you - they suit the amplifier and look incredibly good (especially the CM1s). Also consider the EPOS M12.2 which will gain you better timing but with a less sweet top end.[/quote]

Funnily enough had already viewed the M12s but thought they may be the opposite i.e. too toppy, will look into the others further with B&W already on my list.

Any other recommendations greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Found some Quad 11L2's in black that look really good, would they be an option over the 685's?

A

Anonymous

Quad 11Ls are great speakers and what you like depends on taste, but I'd personally put my money on the B&Ws.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="stefanr"]they need to be bookshelf speakers that will be mounted on lead filled stands situated close to either side of a chimney column about 2-3 inches from the back wall. the room size is 4 x 4 metres (13ft) opening on to another 4 x 4 dining room.[/quote]

Stefanr, you are placing your speakers very close the wall. Not ideal for any speaker, certainly not any rear ported design. You can block the ports but the results can be unpredictable. So unless you can pull them out further in to your room look at front ported products.

You dont mention what characteristics you are looking for so I wont recommend anything. But perhaps keep in mind that your amplifier is rather dated both in sound and design now. I recommend you audition speakers carefully with an amplifier upgrade in the future in mind.

A

Anonymous

That's alright, mainly listen to dance, rock, pop and some classical (but not much). Of all the speakers I have looked at so far, listed in the posts i.e. B&W, Quad, Epos, I believe all these are NOT rear ported and would work would they not on a bookshelf or near a wall?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="stefanr"]
That's alright, mainly listen to dance, rock, pop and some classical (but not much). Of all the speakers I have looked at so far, listed in the posts i.e. B&W, Quad, Epos, I believe all these are NOT rear ported and would work would they not on a bookshelf or near a wall?
[/quote]

Both the Quad and Epos model mentioned are rear ported.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="stefanr"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You see, that's why I'm here, advice.... shows you how much I know. If I got the Quads at a stupid price and pulled them away from the wall say 5 inches, would they be okay? I was looking at sub £250 ones i.e. Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 or would I be better spending more and plumming for the 685s?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="stefanr"][quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="stefanr"]
[/quote]

[/quote] You see, that's why I'm here, advice.... shows you how much I know. If I got the Quads at a stupid price and pulled them away from the wall say 5 inches, would they be okay? I was looking at sub £250 ones i.e. Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 or would I be better spending more and plumming for the 685s?[/quote]

I feel an e-retailer/ebay purchase coming up ... . Even a quad 'at a stupid price' is not a bargain if you dont like them. Every room differs and there's no substitute for trying speakers at home.

By any means try the Quads/Epos and CM1s. They are all good speakers that do some things better than others. Perhaps also consider Rega's R3, an elegant little floorstander with soul and energy. Good enough to be considered with far more expensive components and its front ported.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts