Speakers to match Brio-R

A

Anonymous

Weird, looks like my whole post disappeared!

Here's the story (again!):

- Recently upgraded all my kit to Brio R, Rega DAC, HiFace Two from a Mac Mini

- Picked up some RS3s from eBay quite cheaply, they turned out to be horribly damaged so I've sent them back. To me they lacked detail and precision but filled the room well enough (bass extension was perfectly adequate).

- Room size is about 22' * 16'

- I live in central (ish) London and don't run a car so a home demo is probably going to be difficult

My shortlist at the moment includes:

- Neat Motive 2

- KEF R100/300

- Monitor Audio GX50

- Tannoy DC6T / DC6T SE

Originally I didn't want to spend more than £600 but am considering increasing my budget, I just need some convincing first!

Not fussy about floorstanding/bookshelf or buying used. I just want the best speakers I can find. I listen to a big range of music - Grizzly Bear, Dirty Projectors, The National, SBTRKT, Grimes, Caribou, Beach House etc... as well some old school hip hop and a bit of dance music (DnB) so they need to cope with all of that. Until I buy a house this will also be used for TV/DVD etc.

A

Anonymous

Weird, looks like my whole post disappeared!

Here's the story (again!):

- Recently upgraded all my kit to Brio R, Rega DAC, HiFace Two from a Mac Mini

- Picked up some RS3s from eBay quite cheaply, they turned out to be horribly damaged so I've sent them back. To me they lacked detail and precision but filled the room well enough (bass extension was perfectly adequate).

- Room size is about 22' * 16'

- I live in central (ish) London and don't run a car so a home demo is probably going to be difficult

- Neat Motive 2

- KEF R100/300

- Monitor Audio GX50

- Tannoy DC6T / DC6T SE

Originally I didn't want to spend more than £600 but am considering increasing my budget, I just need some convincing first!

Not fussy about floorstanding/bookshelf or buying used. I just want the best speakers I can find. I listen to a big range of music - Grizzly Bear, Dirty Projectors, The National, SBTRKT, Grimes, Caribou, Beach House etc... as well some old school hip hop and a bit of dance music (DnB) so they need to cope with all of that. Until I buy a house this will also be used for TV/DVD etc.

A

Anonymous

...and I managed to post that twice. I blame it on the forum interface!

A

Anonymous

I should add the that the LS50s are also under consideration, though they may be small for my room (which is not well damped)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Exactly what was it about the Regas that you didn't like? When you say 'lacked detail and precision', are you talking about actual detail level, or just that they were too smooth for you and didn't 'project' into the room enough, sounding veiled?

olliegodfrey said:

- Neat Motive 2

- KEF R100/300

- Monitor Audio GX50

- Tannoy DC6T / DC6T SE

That's a decent shortlist that should get you off to a good start. With some of the music you listen to, you'll appreciate the bass of the Tannoy DC6T's, and you shouldn't find any on your shortlist to lack detail. Try and stick to a fairly efficient speaker (sensitivity rating) in order to make the most of the Brio-R's output. You mentioned the LS50's after this post - I feel they lack the precision and accuracy they're really capable of when partnered with the Brio-R. But by all means, try them - you may love the combination.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at a used pair of Neat Motive 2s and I actually just emailed Kevin about your open box GX50s - realistically as I say I'm going to have take a punt here as I don't really have the option of a home demo.

To me the RS3s were too smooth, yes, and sounded veiled. I tried a couple of different speaker cables and thought they had the same shortcomings. I didn't give them a huge amount of listening time as I returned them a few days later due to the damage, but it was enough for me to conclude that I didn't like them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts