Speakers to good for CA 651A?

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Afternoon all, this is my first post so please be gentle.

Ive been a music/hifi fan all my adult life and my most recent purchases have bee Tannoy mercury V4's, CA SR10 and now an arcam AVR200 off of ebay. I absolutely loved the SR10 but wanted something a bit higher up the ladder so went for the AVR200 on the advice they were great in there day for music. After a month with it i do love it but i just cant handle knowing it was pre owned so its now getting sold. So.... i was looking through WHF mag and saw i could get the CA 651A at a special WHF price of £349, ive always admired this amp and went for it and im picking it up friday as im waiting for a silver one. Anyway im sure it will sound great with my Tannoys but im wondering would i be able to partner this amp with say a £1k speaker!?

I recently auditioned the Dali Ikon 6, Tannoy DC6T SE, CA Aero6 & MA silver 6 , as in the new year i will have £1K to spend on speakers that i hope to keep forever. MY ears told me the Dali's were the speaker ive always dreamed of but my question to you guys is....is a £1k pair of dali's to good (for want of a better word) for a £450 rrp amp?

Craig

My current set up for note is : ARCAM AVR200 (To be Azur 651A as of friday), ARCAM CD72T, Tannoy Mercury V4's',Dell Mini PC, CA Dac Magic plus, Chord carnival silver screen, Chord crimson plus.

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
They did sound sweet to me i was just worried i would be running a mid priced speaker on a budget amp and i would be better off only spending say up to £600 to match the amps price if you catch my drift, but as i said my ears said it was a sweet partnership and blew my current AVR200/V4 set up away. I must add though these tannoy v4's cant be touched (IMO) for £249

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
As has been said, your ears are pleased with the combo and that will put you way ahead of a lot of hifi-ers.

If you were to reduce the spend on speakers then there is always the chance that you will always wonder about the Dalis and end up having spent £600 to no good end. Speakers are the most important thing to spend your money on because they are what make the biggest difference to the sound. Your choice will enable you to make changes, if need be, in the future that will not require a wholesale change and bigger spend.

Good luck with your new system when you finalise it.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The Dali Ikon will work fine with the 651A amp. It has enough power to drive most speakers.

But the Tannoy V4 speakers.........great speakers also. I hope the Dali Ikon bring the improvement you expect ;)

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
craig I think my 650A with my Dynaudios is a fantastic combo. They are speakers that need to be hooked up to a decent amp and the 650A doesn't disappoint. The 650A has been accused of being to clinical/bright but that is most definitely not what I have found with my setup. The only compromise in my setup is the speakers are closer to a rear wall than is ideal but the foam bungs take care of that

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
If I had your budget I would allocate it the same way, speakers make the bigger difference sound wise and if you get a decent amp they are capable of driving surprisingly expensive speakers.

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
oh brilliant, good to hear youre happy:), ive always liked cambridge gear though ive only ever had "Budget". My first taste of cambridge was an A5 then the SR10 which i chose over the Yam AS500., thanks for your replies guys, and yes i too think the V4's are cracking but to my ears the Dali's were better, and prettier (IMO of course). I must say ive always been impressed with richer sounds, i went in telling the guy straight out he wouldnt get a sale out of me til at least March 2014 and his reply was "well i love hifi and playing music so what do you want to hear" 2 hours later i came out knowing i wanted the Dali's, a quick trip to "Another" shop to hear the MA Silver 6's and i still wanted the Dali's. I say "Another" shop because i dont want to name names as the member of staff insulted me basically by telling me i was wrong NOT to like the sound of the New Tannoy precision 6.4's that the richer sounds guy hooked up for me just for me to hear what a £2.4K speaker sounded like.....i wont be going back there for sure.

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Thats good to hear, im glad i havent done it ass about face, its going to end up a £2k ish system not including cables as i already have interconnects im happy with. So i was going down the line of £450 amp, £450 Cd player ( i will be bagging a 651C next year too) and £1000 speakers along with my already purchased Dacmagic and Computer. 8)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts