Speakers to Compliment Marantz?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

What speakers do you think would go well with the Marantz 6002 CD & Amp in a small room (10ftx10ft)?

Musical Taste : Classical, Jazz, Early 70's to mid 80's Soul, Hip-Hop.

Budget : Upto £300, but the less the better.

Thanks,

ssvirk

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yup, the BR2s are a great buy. If you could stretch the budget a bit further, the Epos M5s (£349) are also well worth a listen. They're musical and communicative to to a degree that evades all but the very best speakers at this price, and I reckon they'd work a treat with your Marantz kit.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I had them on my shortlist, wasn't sure if they'd marry well with the Marantz kit.

I've managed to get hold of a pair of Atacama Nexus 6's.

Do have any others in mind you think I should compare them against? (even if a little more expensive, just to compare)

Thanks,

ssvirk

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy,

I'll defintely add them to the listen list, thanks.

I heard a pair of Epos 12.1's which I found to be very precise and the clarity was excellent for the softer music, classical, but found they lacked a bit of punch for the harder/raw music, Hip Hop.

Is it similar for the M5's?

BTW the M5's are only £249 at Superfi, think its something to do with the new Mi range replacing them

The problem is though finding a shop that stocks both near me, so maybe difficult to demo together. Going to search......

Regards,

ssvirk

A

Anonymous

Richersounds has the Mordaunt Short 906i's for 200 pounds per pair, it's an excellent price for a great speaker. Mordaunt Short speakers complement Marantz equipment well, succes guaranteed.

You could also look at Focal and Dynaudio speakers, though the latter might be hard to find within your price range. Just last week I heard the BR2's alongside the RS1's next to Focal 705 speakers. Though the MA speakers had a somewhat fuller sound with more bass, on sheer clarity and detail the Focal's won hands down.

A

Anonymous

B&W 685? May be a little on the brighter side of things...Focals are very good as Jan wrote!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the Reply Jan,

Do you think these floorstanding 906i's would be ok in my small space (10ftx10ft)?

&

Is the extra £100 justified for the Focal's?

Considering I need Clarity & Bass

Regards,

ssvirk

A

Anonymous

Hmm...I wouldn't get floorstanders for that sized room unless they are very small ones, which they're not. 100 square foot is seriously standmount suitability size and in that sized room you wouldn't be lacking any bass with some reasonable size standmounts.

A

Anonymous

In that amount of space, I wouldn't go for floorstanders or, if you want alot of bass, the Focals by that matter! Sorry Jan : )

This is because the 705s lowest frequency response (+-3db) is 65hz...not very bassy! I would, if I was you, go for the B&W 685 or MA RS1.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Hughes123,

I've heard the 685's against the Epos 12.1's. Found the B&W's to be a little overpowering in the Bass, the Epos's were extremely clear but lacked in bass.

What do you think if I got hold of a pair of B&W601 S3's for my space?

Going Frank harvey (Hi-Fi X) for thew demo tomorrow, so any more suggestions would be welcomed, thanks

Regards,

ssvirk

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]Mordaunt Short speakers complement Marantz equipment well, succes guaranteed. [/quote]

And the price for funniest posting so far today goes to ... you

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="ssvirk"]
Hi,

What speakers do you think would go well with the Marantz 6002 CD & Amp in a small room (10ftx10ft)?

Musical Taste : Classical, Jazz, Early 70's to mid 80's Soul, Hip-Hop.

Budget : Upto £300, but the less the better.

Thanks,

[/quote]

You have a limited choice at your budget but that does'nt mean its impossible. I'd certainly agree with the Epos'es. Lovely speakers good enough for better source and amp components in the future as and when you upgrade. Both the M5 and its larger sibling are available at knockdown prices due to the new models. Still, if you dont like them there's no point going down that road.

If you like the clarity of the epos with a bit more bass, real bass not the muddle and life less nature of the B&W's I'd strongly recommend, as always, you audition a pair of Rega R3's. Its the next 'step' up from the Epos and good enough to last you for years and a few upgrades. Its a good looking small front ported floorstander that works (unusally) well in both small and reasonably large spaces. Its a bit more expensive than your £300 but worth it in the long run. You should get a pair for £400 or so.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]Mordaunt Short speakers complement Marantz equipment well, succes guaranteed. [/quote]

And the price for funniest posting so far today goes to ... you
[/quote]

What do you mean? Jan has a very viable point - Marantz team their equipment with Mordaunt Shorts in demonstrations...very good match to be honest. ...I don't quite understand you at times drummerman....nevermind!

And the best person to ask regarding B&W 601 S3s is also Jan! Very similar to 685s perhaps a minute reduction in bass looking at the specs...but not too much different.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Drummerman,

Yes,somebody else mentioned the Rega 3's

I've been thinking about the extra £££ and the future proofing. I guess they could grow with me & my system & the Rega P3 24 I'm pretty much decided on getting.

I think I'll give them a blast tomorrow if Frank Harvey has them - just checked they do stock them. But they are £500 there, where can I get them for £400?

Any opinion on the B&W 601 S3's?

Regards,

ssvirk

A

Anonymous

Thanks Hughes123,

Maybe they could work for me then if the bass is less.

What do you think too Jan?

Regards,

ssvirk

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"]Marantz team their equipment with Mordaunt Shorts in demonstrations...very good match to be honest. ...I don't quite understand you at times drummerman....nevermind! [/quote]

I believe there's a connection with MS/Marantz. Not sure but one of the editors should be able to clear that up. If thats the case, it would certainly explain why they are often paired.

The budget MS's are exactly that, budget speakers for perhaps a first system. I am not saying they are better or worse than budget B&W's. I dont think much of either other than for HT.

Neither one of them will cut the mustard when he upgrades his system. My advise will save him money in the long run so do the postings recommending Epos's. Buy the best speakers you can afford. If it means saving for another couple of months, do that.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="ssvirk"]
I think I'll give them a blast tomorrow if Frank Harvey has them - just checked they do stock them. But they are £500 there, where can I get them for £400?

[/quote]

Haggle to get a 10 - 15% discount (after you've auditioned them). Most dealerships will do that if you ask nicely. A happy customer is one that comes back. If you're close to Dorset try Movement Audio, Poole.

[quote user="ssvirk"]
Any opinion on the B&W 601 S3's?

[/quote]

No

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]
I believe there's a connection with MS/Marantz. Not sure but one of the editors should be able to clear that up. If thats the case, it would certainly explain why they are often paired.

[/quote]

Marantz is the UK & Ireland distributor for Mordaunt Short - which is why you find the kit so often paired together.

A

Anonymous

Hey,

Didn't make it to Frank Harvey today, change of plan.
Was told they didn't have any Rega 3's for demo, when I rang them.

Did listen to the Marantz Amp 6002, with a Project Debut & Project Expression III with a pair of B&W 685's. The shop didn't have any MS BR2's to demo.

There was quite a noticeable difference between the two turntables, which I was pleasantly surprised to find.

Project Expression III with 2M cartridge or Rega 3 24 with Elys 2 ?? Opinions please...

Also tried the Expression III with the Rotel RA-04/05.
I preferred the Marantz, it had a brighter sound & sounded better in the lower bass.

Regards,

ssvirk

A

Anonymous

Yes, the Rotel has quite a week, but constant bass where as the Marantz has a more beaty bass I believe...It's great you heard a difference between the Debut and Expression because I know many people who cannot. What is the standard cartridge for the E III is it the M2 or the OM10?

A

Anonymous

Hey Hughes123,

Oh yeah, I thought there was a considerable difference, it brought even more life to the B&W's.
I didn't expect there to be so much.
Was told today it was the 2M Red that's included in the £325 price.
Do you think the Rega with the Elys 2 is justified for the extra £170.
I need to get to Frank Harvey (Hi-Fi X) as no one near me does both as they do.

It's getting scary though, in that the more I listen to the more I'm beginning to see, or should I say hear the difference in the different components which are more expensive.
I heard a Cyrus, not sure what model, but that was very impressive.

I was also looking to hear some higher end kit, Arcam, Rega, Linn & Naim, but think it might be better to give the top end stuff a miss (Naim, Linn) as I'd probably be disappointed with what I go for in the end in my current price range.

Enjoying the process though.

Regards,

ssvirk

A

Anonymous

Hey John,

Somebody else mentioned one of those.
Hi-Fi X don't seem to stock them looking at their website they have a 6.1.
Having said that I'm not sure if it's upto date (has Rega 3 speakers on there but don't have them anymore)

Will check in the morning.

What is the difference between the 5.2 & Expression III ?
They both have the the 2M on them as standard and by the looks of it the same arm.

I must admit I do prefer the different look of the 5.2, but how is it covered? The lid I mean?

Regards

ssvirk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts