Speakers: speakergrill off?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Why am I answering this ?? Speakers with an open tweeter like my Mezzos make grille removal superfluous but my previous set benefitted from removal. Try it and let yr ears tell you the answer.

Cheers

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
grill's on is probably best if you have children running around :poke: :)

Robin,sorry i missed your comments on HT codec,thread went blank,but thanks for answering :cheers:

matthewpiano

Generally with them on though it does depend on what speakers I'm using. My current favourites (the Diamond 10.4s) sound as good whether with or without so I plump for with. The Epos M5i sound better with - without the treble can occasionally get a little too much. My Diamond 8.3s sound better without - Wharfedale's grilles were pretty rubbish in those days and removing them is like cleaning a light layer of dust from a window, bringing things into sharper focus. The Diamond 9.1s I find sound great whether with or without. The Mission 751s definitely sound more focused without, but the Mordaunt-Short MS902i Avant are best with them grilles in place.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the speakers.

EV Patrician and Bozak Symphony: on because they're permanently fixed grills.

EV Sentry: off. The original owners lost the grills and I bought them without and I've never seen grills for them for sale separately from a pair of speakers.

Linn Sara and Linn Isobarik: off. Original grills have rotted.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Generally with them on though it does depend on what speakers I'm using. My current favourites (the Diamond 10.4s) sound as good whether with or without so I plump for with. The Epos M5i sound better with - without the treble can occasionally get a little too much. My Diamond 8.3s sound better without - Wharfedale's grilles were pretty rubbish in those days and removing them is like cleaning a light layer of dust from a window, bringing things into sharper focus. The Diamond 9.1s I find sound great whether with or without. The Mission 751s definitely sound more focused without, but the Mordaunt-Short MS902i Avant are best with them grilles in place.

Do you still own all of those speakers Matthew?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
psurquhart said:
Agree - off looks better.

However for me, on , unless I want my 1 year old trying to climb through the mid range or up the bass port or just generally stick his fingers through the tweeters.

|(

That's the unfortunate reality. I'd like to have them grill-less most of the time, but probing fingers, dust, etc. mean that they're on most of the time. There's just something so buttonlike about so many tweeters that just says "press me"

matthewpiano

BenLaw said:
matthewpiano said:

I'm afraid so, and a pair of Quad 11Ls (original version) and some 1980s KEF C30s too. Going to have to thin the collection out soon though as I want to reclaim our spare room. Will certainly keep the 10.4s as I love them, and probably the Quads too. Beyond that I'm not sure.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
BenLaw said:
matthewpiano said:

I'm afraid so, and a pair of Quad 11Ls (original version) and some 1980s KEF C30s too. Going to have to thin the collection out soon though as I want to reclaim our spare room. Will certainly keep the 10.4s as I love them, and probably the Quads too. Beyond that I'm not sure.

:grin: I was thinking not only space (if they're all in original boxes I'm surprised they fit in one room!) but if you 'liquidated the assets' could you not buy a pair of speakers a class or two above most of those? (Not denying their qualities of course.)

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Prefer grills off, but for some reason the tweeters on my old tannoy revolutions proved to be irresistible"buttons" for nephews/godchildren to press. Monitor Audio's are ideal - look great with grills off and small metal grills over the tweeters!

matthewpiano

BenLaw said:
matthewpiano said:
BenLaw said:
matthewpiano said:

:grin: I was thinking not only space (if they're all in original boxes I'm surprised they fit in one room!) but if you 'liquidated the assets' could you not buy a pair of speakers a class or two above most of those? (Not denying their qualities of course.)

Most of them aren't boxed (only got boxes for the 10.4s and the Epos M5i as the rest were either bought used or quite some time ago), and most of them aren't worth that much.

I'm enjoying my system at present and starting to feel quite settled. Need time and space in my life for other things.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Grills off.

If I can remove grills I do.

Apparently my Spendor SA1's sound better with grills off. They look good too!

Never tried with them on but happy as they are! I like the look with them off.

I know of a speaker that was designed/tuned to have the grills on.

Good thing too as they were ugly speakers!

Most speakers I have demoed or owned have had removable grills.

Obviously the meshing has a dampening effect on the sound so removing them lets them 'breath' properly. In most cases. Probably!

FennerMachine said:
Grills off.

If I can remove grills I do.

Apparently my Spendor SA1's sound better with grills off. They look good too!

Never tried with them on but happy as they are! I like the look with them off.

I know of a speaker that was designed/tuned to have the grills on.

Good thing too as they were ugly speakers!

Most speakers I have demoed or owned have had removable grills.

Obviously the meshing has a dampening effect on the sound so removing them lets them 'breath' properly. In most cases. Probably!

Most speakers have removable grills so you can actually get to replace the drive units. Probably! :grin:

A

Anonymous

Grills off - never actually listened to see which sounds better, but prefer the look.

Considering buying some new to me - second hand - speakers at the moment. Looking on ebay its easy to spot the speakers where the grills have been left on as the wood seems to darken with time leaving a light patch where the grill was. As a potential purchaser this puts me off!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts