Speakers popping when amp turned on

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I bought a Rotel RA 931 on ebay, which when I got it home and hooked it up to my main system worked fine......gave a very dull thump when I turned the power off.....but that was it. I have now hooked it up to my bedroom system and now the speakers pop when I turn the power on.....as well as the dull thump at power off. The difference in speakers is that the bedroom ones are older KEF C20s rated 90db/8ohm as opposed to KEF Q55s rated 91db/6ohm. Could it be that the more sensitive C20s are picking up the pop....or could it be the cables that I am using? Using QED silver aniversary in the living room versus Cabletalk 3.1 stuff in the bedroom.....most also confess to a little bit of cable splicing to make a longer run out of two pieces....could this also be an issue? I did have a search but did not find anything that completely fitted with my issue. Ben Ben

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
More likely to be the more sensitive speakers making the noise more obvious. The 'pop' will probably be a muting relay, which disengages just after you turn on once the amp has stabilised, and in an old amp may have got a little dirty - and therefore noisy - with age.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
In days gone by my personal experience was that such a phenomenon was 'normal' - strict instructions were always followed: turn volume down to minimum when switching amp on or off!

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
thanks to you both.....
turning vol down doesn't make a difference.

I used to get a horrible sound from my old CA A1 amp when i turned it off....which would be stopped by muting prior to turning off.....but the rotel doesnt have a mute feature.....lovely sounding amp tho

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I have an older Rotel Amp too. I think it may be the 931 too, mine only makes a faint dull thud on power off. Its running a pair of old B&W 601 Series 1 speakers.

However, reason for posting - muting button: If you connect your speakers to the speaker terminals marked 'Remote' as opposed to 'Direct', you can use the button on the front panel marked 'Remote Speaker' to act as a sort of mute button for you, as the button cuts off sound to the Remote speakers. I think I read it was there for when you want to listen to headphones, as the amp will not automatically cut the sound to the speakers when you insert a pair of headphones.
emotion-1.gif

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
I have this too with my 2 yr old naim 5i-2 amp. Every time I switch the power on it makes a noise.

I'm glad you can leave it on because that sound gives me the creeps :)

A

Anonymous

If you read the owner's manual it's normal for your amp to do this - pop on R channel , pop on L channel ; after the unit is turned on .

A

Anonymous

My bro's got exactly the same prob with his creek amp/kef coda 2 set up. Scary when it first happened i thought: "wtf was that"?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts