Speakers & Headphones AGAIN

AdrianQ

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Before writing this I read through past post about peoples Headphones sounding better than their expensive speakers (or at least more detailed) and to this I can definately understand what they mean. There seems to be nuances and fine details that appear more easily with headphones.

Now because I suffer from Speakeritis, I will probably never want to switch to headphones full time. So how can I boost the nuances and fine details that may get lost in the room acoustics or drowned out by the rest of the listening media? I do run a lot of my music through my computer if somebody wants to recommend any kind of Media player plugin etc. It seems software might be an easier way to go but I am up for all and any help.

Also if anybody can fully explain why headphones have an easy time outputting the fine details, I would be glad to know.

Thanks in advance

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Listen nearfield.

Listen nearfield with pro audio monitors?

TBH, I don't find my headphones to be that much more detailed and the closer I am to my speakers the fewer details are lost to room acoustics.

In part you have answered it yourself - they don't have to put up with the room. Other guesses from me (other more knowledgable members might be able to correct this as necessary) are things like the benefits of using a single full range driver (no crossover distortion). Smaller drivers mean that you can achieve more for less money?

I'm not sure what you think software might be able to do, but I'm pretty sure that, other than getting better quality equipment (perhaps including better playback software), there isn't really a way to isolate and boost the specific fine details and nuances you are referring to. Maybe turn up the stereo, because listening on headphones is often effectively louder than I would listen to my main system for fear of upsetting the neighbours.

I try not to get hung up on it, as I am enamoured with the soundstaging and impact that a hifi can produce - who doesn't love to occasionally feel the bass? - which are things that headphones can't achieve. All modes of listening and types of kit have their advantages and disadvantages, so I personally feel it is pointless trying to make one sound like the other.

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
AdrianQ said:
Before writing this I read through past post about peoples Headphones sounding better than their expensive speakers (or at least more detailed) and to this I can definately understand what they mean. There seems to be nuances and fine details that appear more easily with headphones.

Now because I suffer from Speakeritis, I will probably never want to switch to headphones full time. So how can I boost the nuances and fine details that may get lost in the room acoustics or drowned out by the rest of the listening media? I do run a lot of my music through my computer if somebody wants to recommend any kind of Media player plugin etc. It seems software might be an easier way to go but I am up for all and any help.

Also if anybody can fully explain why headphones have an easy time outputting the fine details, I would be glad to know.

Thanks in advance

Which medaia player are you using? IMO the two best by far are Jriver Media Center ($50) or Foobar2000 (free). Both of these support WASAPI, i dont completely understand how it works but in simple terms i think it bypasses a lot of things that happen to the signal while going from PC/MAC to your audio device, DAC, sound card etc. There is defiently an audible difference for the better using WASAPI and its a free plugin for Foobar2000 and comes natively with Jriver Media Center.

Here's a great thread about setting it up in Foobar2000.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-music/how-tosetup-foobar2000-to-use-wasapi

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
I found that our new fridge freezer is louder than the old one :) true story.

Heheh, so was mine, but no, I didn't strap my speakers to the side of my head.....

It has to be said, something like an ipod/iphone, coupled to a pair of good quality phones will give you as much high resolution, low distortion sound, with outstanding dynamics, such that is not easily equalled by an good loudspeaker.

I would think an absolutely top of the line headphone + dedicated head amp, such as an Stax SR 09, or maybe a Sennheiser HD800 would outperform most loudspeakers, even top of the line models, in the aforementioned areas of performance.

Of course, there is no soundstage or imaging as such if that is important to one, and hence the overall reproduction is not quite what one would deem 'natural', and the listening experience is solitary, but for late night, do not disturb the neighbours use, or for outdoors/travel, headphones are well worth having IMHO.

As the pair I auditioned sounded like my speakers strapped to the side of my head, I'll probably buy a pair in due course (the headphones that is!)

JB

TRENDING THREADS