Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Post wouldn't display initially:

Current System:
Marantz CD67SE with chord solid
Rotel RA1062 with Linn LK400 or Naim Nait 5i-2
Monitor Audio RX1 Silver
Hi All,

I need to move this system into a room where the speakers need to be wall mounted. I find the monitor audios too bassy to my tastes and would prefer more emphasis on the midrange.
The best I’ve heard so far are B&W 685 and Rega RS1 both of which I couldn’t fault especially but couldn’t love either. So now I’m thinking Acoustic Energy AE301, Tannoy DC6 or maybe Neat Iotas.
I’ll be really interested to see if any of these work better with the Nait than the Rotel. At the moment the Nait only gets close with Acoustic and Blues. But I listen to House/Tech, Hard Rock, Modern Pop and 80’s all with equal enthusiasm!

Would welcome any advice or suggestions.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I have wall-mounted Neat Iotas. They're cracking little speakers, specifically designed to be used close to a rear wall, though I wouldn't recommend them for a large room. In theory any sealed or front-ported design should work OK.

Poindy

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Matt,

I think I'm going to have to hear those. What brackets are you using out of interest?

ta, Poindy

P.S. Anyone heard AE301's wall mounted? Recent review sounded promising for that. Thinking those two might be top priority for listening... on stands obvoiusly.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
What about a pair of second hand PMC DB1 or DB1i speakers.
A friend of mine has a pair of DB1i's mounted on the dedicated PMC wall brackets and they sound very good indeed, and even though the transmission line exit is at the rear the bass is still very powerful and tight .
They should perform very well with the Naim too :)

Poindy

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I have listened to the DB1+ and found the bass quite insistent and a bit forced. Almost bought them but just couldn't ignore the bass which I felt went too low for what I wanted in a small pair of speakers. I bet PMC are thinking they can't win, however I did hear the Twenty series- 22's which sounded practically perfect, but out of my league at this stage. :)

I also heard lots of others, almost bought N-sats but for harsh treble. Closest so far was the Tannoy DC6 I think but WHFI review says they're poor up against a wall and I have to take their word for it as I won't be able to try them wall mounted.

Cheers, P

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
The baby Harbeths or the Spendor L3/5r2 will work against the wall, both are LS/3/5a clones. There's also the Stirling Broadcast speakers on the same theme. Many Dali speaker also work against the wall - the Menuet need an inch or two, so not a lot. Really nice speakers, but you won't get big bass.

Poindy

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Not worried about big bass. Most of the time that would just annoy the other people using the room. People round for food etc..

Nice quality bass is always welcome though and midrange articulation.

I'll try and add Menuet to audition list, I'll have to do a bit of looking about locally to find the Neats and Menuets. Most stands I would expect to use would give around 10cm from back wall.

Many thanks, P

If anyone's wondering, I know I need a better cdp or CAD as well :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Poindy said:
Not worried about big bass. Most of the time that would just annoy the other people using the room. People round for food etc.. Nice quality bass is always welcome though and midrange articulation. I'll try and add Menuet to audition list, I'll have to do a bit of looking about locally to find the Neats and Menuets. Most stands I would expect to use would give around 10cm from back wall. Many thanks, P If anyone's wondering, I know I need a better cdp or CAD as well :)

One thing at a time... for mid range articulation, the above suggestion of Harbeth or Spendor would be ideal.

Mac

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Poindy said:
Anyone heard AE301's wall mounted? Recent review sounded promising for that. Thinking those two might be top priority for listening... on stands obvoiusly.

Hi Poindy,

The bass character of the 301's changes very little when placed close to boundaries, it was one of the main aims in switching to the front slot porting system! The only real change you might notice is slightly less "air" and space in the high frequencies compared to free space positioning but in my experience this is the case for pretty much all speakers when placed up against a wall.

Cheers,

Jim.

Poindy

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Jim sounds like just what I'm after and I'm going to listen asap. Realistically a couple of weeks sadly!

Obviously most stands will bring them out 10-20 cms which is something.

Do you recommend a particular wall mount for them?

Cheers

Poindy

curaspqr

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

has anyone experience with the Dali Ikon MKII on wall speakers? Are they suitable as L/R audio speakers or are they for rear/side in a surround system?

My wife is fed up of my Wharfedales and the distance I have them from the wall to avoid boomy bass....

Chris

curaspqr

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

has anyone experience with the Dali Ikon MKII on wall speakers? Are they suitable as L/R audio speakers or are they for rear/side in a surround system?

My wife is fed up of my Wharfedales and the distance I have them from the wall to avoid boomy bass....

Chris

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Kef Q300.. have them close to the back wall.. no problems with boomy bass, plenty of bass instead when there's one in recordings.. very good speakers for electronic music as well... kef makes newest versions of them with original wall brackets.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts