Hi there, I am looking for some second hand speakers for my Audio Technica turntable LP5 and my vintaged Technics SU-7600 Amp.

The living room is rather big but I only listen to some Jazz and Soul, occasionally to some Classic records and due to my neighbours also not very loud.

I was looking into the following speakers

KEF Cresta 2

KEF Cresta 3

B&W P4

Monitor Audio Silver RS5

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2

B&W 685

I know the prices and speakers are different but maybe you guys can give me some ideas.

I was very close to go for the KEF Cresta 2 as I heard good things about them or even better the Cresta 3 as I wouldn’t need any stands. Also the price was under £100 which made interesting.

However, if you have some commends on my selection above please do so, it would help me a lot. The Technics Amp is beautiful but maybe doesn’t have enough power so I might exchange for something bigger in the future.

Thanks a lot.

Oli

trevorok

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
hi you could add the whalfdale diamond 220 to your list i run mine on a retro amp of 22 watts per channel sharp amp and they run fine nice neutral sound warm base and well detailed good looking speaker cheers mally

insider9

If you really want to get a retro system I'd look for older models. I'd also cross off RS5 of your list. They wouldn't do as well with your amp.

How about some Rega Ela? Seen a pair recently go for £80 I nearly bought it myself just not in a market for a pair of speakers. Or perhaps Royd Sintra if you're after standmounts.

Thank you very much for your suggestions I will check it out. Do you have any further commends on my speaker suggestions. Anything I had in my list is any good? With the speakers it doesn’t have to be truelly vintaged. I might change the turntable if I get a nice 70’s Pioneer or Marantz but speaker wise it has to be a good build quality and the sound has to be good without costing me an arm and a leg.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

insider9

I wouldn't go for BX2 with Technics either as a general rule avoid Monitor Audio Bronze range.

Another great value speaker I'd suggest is DALI 104. I appreciate you don't necessarily want to go for old speakers but on balance on things they're generally better sounding IMHO.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
For a retro system I would also look at offerings from Royd, Heybrook, Audio Note or maybe some Linn Kans, depends on budget of course .......

Thank you for your advice.

I will check those speakers out. I found an Audio Note but the seller says the previous owner had these taken to single wire and upgraded Atlas speaker cable put inside.

It is an Audio shop and they said it sounds great but I am not so sure whether a changed Audio Note is as valuable.

Thx

oliver

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Oliver,

Depends if they are a relative bargain or not, people do tend to upgrade the wiring inside Audio Note speakers, it's actually quite normal as they sell them with basic or silver wire new, and the ones I owned also had upgraded silver wiring inside. Also Audio Note gear is often bought by enthusiasts and DIYers, you can even buy some of their speakers in kit form and build them yourself so I'm not that surprised someone has tweaked them. Guess there is a bit more risk involved..... Do you have an opportunity to listen before you buy or return if not happy with them?

Thank you for that. I actual decided to go for it at the end. It is not really a bargain I guess I bought it for £399. Unfortunately it is black and one corner is a little damaged but I think I can fix that with some wood filler. I even thing I might take of the old veneer off and replace it with something brown.

It was on eBay but the seller is sort of a business and sells high quality hifi equipment and has 100% good feedback. They also allow returns. So I guess I will see. Now I just need a pair of speaker cable with one side banana plugs for the speaker s. My amp doesnt have the sockets for banana plugs so I guess I will just wire the cable as they are.

I have attached some pictures.

https://instagram.com/p/Bf9_v3CAHjJ/

Thank you again for your help.

It’s very valuable for me.

Mid you have any recommendations for some cables let me know.

Best wishes,

Oliver

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Congratulations on taking a punt on the Audio Note speakers, certainly a great British company with a good pedigree, I guess you could smarten them up a bit if need be. I imagine you'll be happy with the sound, should be open, fast and musical and they shouldn't need too much power to make them sing ( many users will probably listen via valve amps). Should be well suited to the music you listen to...
Do report back on how you get on with them.....
Happy listening

Mond

I wanted say thank you for all your help and suggestions. So far I can say the Audio Note speakers are fantastic. However, my Technics Su-7600 doesn’t work properly. The right speaker channel output is not working. The sound signal coming out of this channel is ca 50% down and muffled. The treble so it sounds is not there at all.

Now I am wondering whether I should try to repair it or should I just get another amplifier. The Technics SU-7600 looks fantastic and the condition for such a old amp Is implacable but to be honest I have no idea whether it was a good amp sound wise.

If anyone has a amp recommendation which would fit better with the Audio Note AX-2 let me know. Have a nice day everyone! Best wishes, Oliver

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Oliver Opitz said:
If anyone has a amp recommendation which would fit better with the Audio Note AX-2 let me know. Have a nice day everyone! Best wishes, Oliver

I would keep an eye out for a Valve Amp (from a known brand, like Icon Audio, Audio Note, Unison Research and Pure Sound).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts