Speakers for Primare system, any ideas what i should try ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Speakers for Primare I30 Amp / CD31, currently using Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 but i'm sure i can do better.

Would like to stick to standmounts (only a Med. size room), prefer a lively open sound, any ideas ?

John Duncan

Well I haven't yet tried my A20 with my PMC DB1+s, to which I moved from Diamond 9.1s, but they're where I'd start, along with AVI Neutron IVs, Proac Tablette Reference 8s, and the Signature model of the Tablettes, which are about 900 quid, but which were amazing with the Primare A30.1. I am intrigued by Totem as well, if you can find them.

A

Anonymous

Try ATC's SCM19s, priced at £1500. Beautifully built, WHF 5 stars.
http://www.atc.gb.net/scm19.htm

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Spring-Heeled Jud"]

Speakers for Primare I30 Amp / CD31, currently using Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 but i'm sure i can do better.

Would like to stick to standmounts (only a Med. size room), prefer a lively open sound, any ideas ?

[/quote]

I use Primare kit and have Leema Zyp's,these replaced my GS10's,I have a 12m by 6m room and they are fantastic,not too small in any way.

A

Anonymous

I just went out to buy the Proac Ref 8 Sigs and ended up with the all new Spendor SA1 :) Superb. I tried them with the Primare I30 amp and my Roksan Kandy III CDP. All I can say is that you won't be disappointed. What's interesting is that the Proacs are rated down to 38Hz and the Spendors to 75Hz, but the Spendors sounded richer and the bass you did get was better. They are sealed units too so easy to place. Worth a try.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]
Sounds like you're a happy man Igglebert! Enjoy the Spendors...
[/quote]
Indeed! Thank you...

A

Anonymous

Congrats Igglebert. BTW Did you compare the SA-1 to the S3e ?

jules.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jules153"]Congrats Igglebert. BTW Did you compare the SA-1 to the S3e ?

jules.
[/quote]

No I didn't as they didn't have any, but I could have spent a week trying different speakers! I spent 4 hours solid on just the Proac Tab Ref 8 Sigs and Spendors! I was assured that these new SA1s are in a league above the S3e in terms of the midrange and treble detail and openness. I loved them. I put them on the Primare I30 too and it worked very well! I think these speakers demand very good sources, but the Rotel works fine for now.

My speaker positioning constraints have dictated the situation a bit too as they must go across a room corner, 1-2 feet away from the back wall. My MA RS1s boom as they're rear ported, but the Spendors are sealed unit so will be a much better solution. The Proacs are rear ported but rely on good, linear wall proximity to get the bass from the ports to 'grow'. Generally I found them too light for me and lacked the richness and smoothness I want. I momentarily tried the Proac SC1s too but turned them off quite quickly because I found some bass boom on a couple of favorite tracks; that was with them in open space too!

A

Anonymous

Cool. I'll be sure to try out the SA1s later this year... when I finally get the decorating done, then get the new system....
emotion-1.gif
jules.

John Duncan

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="jules153"]Congrats Igglebert. BTW Did you compare the SA-1 to the S3e ?

jules.
[/quote]

No I didn't as they didn't have any, but I could have spent a week trying different speakers! I spent 4 hours solid on just the Proac Tab Ref 8 Sigs and Spendors! I was assured that these new SA1s are in a league above the S3e in terms of the midrange and treble detail and openness. I loved them. I put them on the Primare I30 too and it worked very well! I think these speakers demand very good sources, but the Rotel works fine for now.

My speaker positioning constraints have dictated the situation a bit too as they must go across a room corner, 1-2 feet away from the back wall. My MA RS1s boom as they're rear ported, but the Spendors are sealed unit so will be a much better solution. The Proacs are rear ported but rely on good, linear wall proximity to get the bass from the ports to 'grow'. Generally I found them too light for me and lacked the richness and smoothness I want. I momentarily tried the Proac SC1s too but turned them off quite quickly because I found some bass boom on a couple of favorite tracks; that was with them in open space too!

[/quote]

Have just seen a pair in Sevenoaks' window in the gloss Zebrano finish, with the matching stands. Want them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts