Speakers for NAD 314 under 350GBP

Hi Guys!

I finaly managed to save some money for my first stereo. Buying amp was the hardest part, but I found this old NAD 314 for decent price and I hope it’ll be good. Now I have to buy some speakers. I’ve got 20m2 small room, so I guess I will go for bookshelf speakers. I will mostly stream music via Chromecast Audio, playing games and films from xbox one over FiiO D3 and I plan to buy record player at some time in the future.

I found few what seems like good deals on these used speakers Kef XQ10 (347gbp), Canton Chrono 502 (190gbp) and Elac Debut B6 (240gbp) but I am not able to listen to them before I buying.

Then there are new speakers like Dali Zensors (1 or 3), Wharfedale Diamond (121 or 220) or Tannoy Mercury 7.2

I live in Czech Republic, so the offer is not as great as in UK and the prices are higher (at least comparing to richersounds).

What will be your choice?

Thank you!

Max Costello said:
Hi Guys!

I finaly managed to save some money for my first stereo. Buying amp was the hardest part, but I found this old NAD 314 for decent price and I hope it’ll be good. Now I have to buy some speakers. I’ve got 20m2 small room, so I guess I will go for bookshelf speakers. I will mostly stream music via Chromecast Audio, playing games and films from xbox one over FiiO D3 and I plan to buy record player at some time in the future.

I found few what seems like good deals on these used speakers Kef XQ10 (347gbp), Canton Chrono 502 (190gbp) and Elac Debut B6 (240gbp) but I am not able to listen to them before I buying.

Then there are new speakers like Dali Zensors (1 or 3), Wharfedale Diamond (121 or 220) or Tannoy Mercury 7.2

I live in Czech Republic, so the offer is not as great as in UK and the prices are higher (at least comparing to richersounds).

What will be your choice?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum Max.

There are speakers on your list that I guess not many of us in the UK have heard however if you can audition Elac speakers over there then I seriously suggest you look at the new Elac B6.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Whichever "bookshelf" spearkers you go for, I'd recommend adding a set of good solid speaker stands and a good, well made cable (not necessarily a brand name or expensive, but don't go to thin , gauge 16 or 14 should be good).

Stands and positioning turned my good speakers into great speakers

rainsoothe

Reading around suggest that the 314 is rather bright, so Dali might not be the best partner for them. As the above posters said, also budget for stands if you have room for them. That being said, take your amp with you at the dealers and audition for yourself. Wharfedale Diamond 220 (or maybe even 225 if you have the money for those) should be a great match.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
NAD and B&W are IMHO a good combo. Take your amp with you when auditioning. Some B&W or Dali monitors with decent stands and you will have a great set.

Thank you, guys! Eventually I bought Elac B6 and I’m astonished. My previous speakers were only Bose Soundlink Mini, so I knew it would be huge difference, but I didn’t expect it to be that HUGE. Stands should arrive on Tuesday and I can’t wait already. The only thing is that my Elacs have little rubber pads on the bottom, which I’ll have to peel off, so the Elacs will fit the stands.

When I first plugged and played them, the first impression was shock, how much bass they have. Not that the bass was bad, I just did not expected to be that full. I guess Andrew Jones was right, when he said, that he doesn’t need subwoofer for them.

rainsoothe

Hi and congrats. For the record, if the rubber pads aren't big, then it's ok to have the speakers decoupled from the stands, so you shouldn't worry about removing them. Unless the stands have pads of their own (like Atacama Nexus 6i, for instance) then yes, 2 sets are redundant. But if they fir the top side of the stands, there should be no need for removing them.

Enjoy your stuff :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts