Question Speakers for Marantz PM8005

Anarchist2000

Mar 24, 2022
Visit site
My system comprises Marantz PM8005, SA8005 and NA7004 along with my antiquated speakers (B&W Matrix 2S2).
The speakers were great when I got them new some 30 years ago and in my head they still are.
However, I'm sure decent contemporary speakers would blow them out of the water and so I'm looking for suggestions as to which speakers I should audition.
I listen to a variety of genres via Tidal and the NA7004 these days (although the odd CD/SACD does get played too).
I'm not looking to change the rest of the system.
Budget is flexible.
Thank you in anticipation!

robdmarsh

It looks like you've got the makings of a great system, and I think you're right to think that contemporary speakers will blow your vintage speakers out of the water, even if you're still fond of them. I think one big decision you've got to make is whether to move to the more modern trend for slim line, smaller modern speakers or go with another current trend for large baffle heritage speakers a la Wharfedale Linton, Klipsch can't remember the model names... but anyway I lean more toward the best things come in small packages camp.
But I think I think you should try both. My particular speakers I think are superb and cannot be beaten among smallish book shelf speakers at up to about £1k. I'd love to hear my speakers against Wharfedale Lintons but I know which I'd go with for living with and it's not the Lintons or others like them.

Reactions: Anarchist2000

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
Which model of Dali and Marantz U use ?

It would be great to hear your feedback of them

TIA

I use a Marantz PM6005. I had considered changing this but it sounds really good and I feel that I would need to spend above £1K to get better.
I had it paired with a set of Dali Zensor 3 but upgraded these to the Oberon 7. Not because the Zensors lacked anything, I just fancied floorstanders as I had always used stand mounts. I also got a fabulous deal on them so a no brainier really.
The Zensors are now in my office and I love the Oberon 7s.
I think the amp and both sets of speakers punch above their weight. The sound is really easy to listen to and whilst I find myself wanting a bit more detail at times I am generally very content with what I have. Probably about 90%.

SiR

Dec 26, 2021
Visit site
Considering Marantz PM6005 is 45W (8 ohms), 60W (4 ohms) and Dali Obe 7 is a 6ohm speaker, its surprising and nice to hear those from you and happy that you are content with it.

I would suggest if you want to upgrade Amp, go with PM8006, reason I got good feedback from its users [ mostly with Oberon series ]

It is 70 W (8 ohms) / 100 W (4 ohms) and has tone controls [ Bass, Mid, Treble ]

Considering Marantz PM6005 is 45W (8 ohms), 60W (4 ohms) and Dali Obe 7 is a 6ohm speaker, its surprising and nice to hear those from you and happy that you are content with it.

I would suggest if you want to upgrade Amp, go with PM8006, reason I got good feedback from its users [ mostly with Oberon series ]

It is 70 W (8 ohms) / 100 W (4 ohms) and has tone controls [ Bass, Mid, Treble ]
The OPs amp is the 8005 not 6005.

Reactions: Anarchist2000

Anarchist2000

Mar 24, 2022
Visit site
I use a Marantz PM6005. I had considered changing this but it sounds really good and I feel that I would need to spend above £1K to get better.
I had it paired with a set of Dali Zensor 3 but upgraded these to the Oberon 7. Not because the Zensors lacked anything, I just fancied floorstanders as I had always used stand mounts. I also got a fabulous deal on them so a no brainier really.
The Zensors are now in my office and I love the Oberon 7s.
I think the amp and both sets of speakers punch above their weight. The sound is really easy to listen to and whilst I find myself wanting a bit more detail at times I am generally very content with what I have. Probably about 90%.
Oberon 7 sound like they're worth a try!

Reactions: Al ears
Yes. I have the PM8005 which I'm not looking to change. My original amp was a Marantz PM80 which was great as I recall.
I know, just confirming your amp to the other poster.

I would look at SX2. They are very compact floorstanders. I demoed a pair yesterday.... they sound great and flexible with positioning.

Attachments

• 20220324_125620.jpg
    20220324_125620.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Al ears

Anarchist2000

Mar 24, 2022
Visit site
Have a listen to PMC.
The transmission line gives quality to the bass.
I've found all other frequencies to be just as good. Open, tight and we'll balanced too.
Good example of the 'modern speaker sound'.
I've never heard of PMC, although that probably says more about me than PMC.
I'm not one to mess about with system once I've got something I like so I'm not well up on the current speaker manufacturers.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
My system comprises Marantz PM8005, SA8005 and NA7004 along with my antiquated speakers (B&W Matrix 2S2).
The speakers were great when I got them new some 30 years ago and in my head they still are.
However, I'm sure decent contemporary speakers would blow them out of the water and so I'm looking for suggestions as to which speakers I should audition.
I listen to a variety of genres via Tidal and the NA7004 these days (although the odd CD/SACD does get played too).
I'm not looking to change the rest of the system.
Budget is flexible.
Thank you in anticipation!

I have the Marantz PM8005 connected to a Cambridge CXN V2 with KEF LS50's for many years. Excellent combination 👌🏻

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts