Speakers for Linn Classik

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I have the last generation Linn Classik music in a small room in my house (my den)and am loath to part with it really. I predominantly listen to rock music and have it paired with a set of B&W 685's which I do really like despite them occasionally being a bit boomy in such a small rom. I have recently disposed of my CD's and use my iMac >Airport Express>Linn to play my music but am looking to conserve as much space as I can.

The 685's are just a little too big for my bookshelves and I have been looking at the Linn Majik 109's and wondered if anyone had any direct experience of comparing the two? I'll take a listen myself too.

I have been very tempted with the Naim Uniti/Qute of late also but am still pretty stuck with my Linn. Real pity they didn't decide to make a 3rd Gen with DAB.

Any views on the speakers?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You've probably had no replies because nobody has heard this combo.

I've not heard the "Classik Music", but generally Linn works best with Linn ie. use Komponant/Majik speakers, Linn black i/c and Linn speaker cable.

My older Linn stuff also worked well with Spendor.

Aside from the above thoughts, I can be of little more help......sorry.

Cno

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Some help is better then no help my friend....thank you. I think many may have opined about the best combos for Linn productes over the years - they are not new to market are they?

So any further comments would be very welcome.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Paulq said:
Some help is better then no help my friend....thank you. I think many may have opined about the best combos for Linn productes over the years - they are not new to market are they? So any further comments would be very welcome.

They are certainly not new to the market, but their sound has changed over the years.

I've got Kairn/LK100 + Karik/Numerik (from early 90s), which (IMO) is much more musical than their modern stuff. This I tend to find cold, analytical and hard sounding (with the exception of DS), and that is probably down to their amps.

I don't know how your Linn sounds, which makes recomendations difficult. People on the Linn forum tend to stick with "all Linn" which I suppose is not surprising.

As Linn is not cheap, better can be had for the money, which is why not that many people own it on here.

All the above is just my opinion, but I'm friendly with the local Linn dealer, so regularly listen to their kit, at all levels of the price spectrum.

Cno

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I guess that's really fair comment and, on reflection and havinghad the Classik around 3 years, maybe I am ignorant of what else os available. Let me pose the question another way. Were I to sell the Classik then what separates would people recommend in a small room (12x12) to listen to mainly Rock Music? I don't use CD's anymore but stream from my iMac through Airport Express >Classik>B&W's. I guess this means I'd only need a decent amp to drive the speakers but a USB/aux input would be a bonus for my ipod also. Prior to the Linn I owned a Marantz CD/Amp Combo which I liked. Not requiring a CD player this time means my budget would be £1000 amp only/£1500 if I needed to change the B&W's. Any views?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here would be my suggestions:

BEST VALUE - Leema Pulse (older version) on sale Sevenoaks Brighten £740. Plastic Penguin and others own them on here, so they are better qualified to comment.

MOST VERSATILE - Peachtree Audio (Nova; Decco2; iDecco)..choose the one that suits needs

LINN SOLUTION - Sneaky (£800). This is better value (for a Linn), as it is a high quality streamer + good quality 20w amp. Could be an interim solution until you get a better amp, where it can then be used as a high quality source.

OTHER - Naim Nait5i, which is a must audition at this price range. Its not to my taste, but has a strong following on here.

- Primare I21 (£990)

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Cno

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
If you just want to use airport and poss one other source ie digital for your money I would have a listen to the AVI admT. Active speakers with good quality DAC 2x optical inputs and x RCA input. for the money I don't think you can get better sound.

A

Anonymous

one option is to get a graphic eq from ebay for less than £100, sort out the bass response to your liking (i suspect it'll be a peak around 100hz) and if you dont like/it doesn't solve your problem put it back on the bay, all you've lost is the price of postage xx

A

Anonymous

sorry didnt see the bit about you wanting smaller speakers (but if you did want to keep th b and w's, the eq would be my way of doing it)

i heard the Linn Majik 109 in the shop which repaired my alpha 9, made the guy let me audition them with £1000 spendor bookshelves connected to the arcam alpha 9 on speaker 1/2 connections so i could switch between them. I preferred the linn out of the 2, the cd was by seal. Hope this helps a bit, know im not being terribly helpful but nontheless thought id share my experience, I never intended to buy them...WAAAAAAAY out my price range...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Here would be my suggestions: BEST VALUE - Leema Pulse (older version) on sale Sevenoaks Brighten £740. Plastic Penguin and others own them on here, so they are better qualified to comment. MOST VERSATILE - Peachtree Audio (Nova; Decco2; iDecco)..choose the one that suits needs LINN SOLUTION - Sneaky (£800). This is better value (for a Linn), as it is a high quality streamer + good quality 20w amp. Could be an interim solution until you get a better amp, where it can then be used as a high quality source. OTHER - Naim Nait5i, which is a must audition at this price range. Its not to my taste, but has a strong following on here. - Primare I21 (£990) Hope this gives you some ideas. Cno

There is a 2nd hand/ex dem Leema Pulse at Kronos AV for £499, which may not be on their website yet (was in news letter) - if you are interested give David/Garry a ring...they are good guys.

Now that would leave £1000 of your possible budget for speakers. :)

If this is of no intrest, then there's no harm done.

Good luck

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts